12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 4:28 PM by Hudechrome

    HUGE file sizes

    jlilflwr

      When I edit a photo in CS5 from LR3, the files go from 25MB (RAW) to 250MB!!!  I have no idea how to remedy this.  Any thoughts? Thanks!

        • 1. Re: HUGE file sizes
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

          Raw is an un-rendered file so the file sizes are smaller. When you render the raw data into RGB color spaces, the file will grow in size. If you open the images as 8-bit/channel they will be bigger than than raw. If you open as 16-bit/channel they will be much larger. This is to be expected and there's nothing you can do. Ideally, you want to keep your images in their raw state up to the point you NEED the RGB rendered files-usually reserved for you final hero images. That's one of the workflow advantages of Lightroom.

           

          Hard drives are cheap..buy lots.

          • 2. Re: HUGE file sizes
            Noel Carboni Level 7

            To add to what Jeff has said, the format of the file you save will impact the file size as well.


            For example, if you save as a .PSD file, Photoshop will do lossless compression.  A file with just a Background layer will compress the best (and save the fastest) with .PSD format.

             

            -Noel

            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: HUGE file sizes
              jlilflwr Level 1

              Thanks, Jeff.  I guess I have to keep buying those drives!  I thought that I must have been doing something wrong to have such gigantic files.  Appreciate the reply.

              • 4. Re: HUGE file sizes
                jlilflwr Level 1

                Thanks for the tips, Noel.  Appreciate them!

                • 5. Re: HUGE file sizes
                  Level 4

                  Jeff Schewe wrote:

                   

                  … Ideally, you want to keep your images in their raw state up to the point you NEED the RGB rendered files-usually reserved for you final hero images. That's one of the workflow advantages of Lightroom…

                   

                   

                  Come again?   I don't remotely want to be argumentative here, as I trust your judgment and superior expertise implicitly, Mr. Schewe; but why can't the very same thing be achieved in ACR?  ???    What can Lightroom do in this regard that ACR (with Bridge and Ps) cannot? 

                   

                  Just wondering if I should loot at Lightroom again.  All previous trials and tests I've conducted since LR was first released have left me with a very negative personal, subjective impression of LR.

                   

                   

                   

                  Thanks in advance.

                  ____________
                  Wo Tai Lao Le
                  我太老了
                  • 6. Re: HUGE file sizes
                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

                    Tai Lao wrote:

                    What can Lightroom do in this regard that ACR (with Bridge and Ps) cannot? 

                     

                    Ya can't print from ACR or Bridge...the big thing is the ability to print from Lightroom without the need to process the raw file.

                    • 7. Re: HUGE file sizes
                      Level 4

                      Jeff Schewe wrote:

                       

                      Ya can't print from ACR or Bridge...the big thing is the ability to print from Lightroom without the need to process the raw file.

                       

                      OK, I see your point of view, thanks. 

                       

                      One of the things I positively hated about Lightroom is that you're printing blind, because the last time I looked, it still had no soft-proofing capabilities, a deficiency I regard as fatal.  I'll stick to Ps for printing and more involved editing, ACR for processing my raw images and Bridge for browsing.  I couldn't ask for anything more.

                       

                       

                      ____________

                      Wo Tai Lao Le

                      我太老了

                      • 8. Re: HUGE file sizes
                        PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

                        Look at this plug-in: http://lightroom-plugins.com/ProofIndex.php for when you try Lightroom again.

                        • 9. Re: HUGE file sizes
                          Level 4

                          PECourtejoie wrote:

                           

                          Look at this plug-in: http://lightroom-plugins.com/ProofIndex.php for when you try Lightroom again.

                           

                          Thank you, Pierre; but I think I'd rather chew on ground glass that try Lightroom ever again.  Besides, the darn thing doesn't even run on my machine anyway.

                           

                           

                          ____________

                          Wo Tai Lao Le

                          我太老了

                          • 10. Re: HUGE file sizes
                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

                            Tai Lao wrote:

                             

                            Thank you, Pierre; but I think I'd rather chew on ground glass that try Lightroom ever again.  Besides, the darn thing doesn't even run on my machine anyway.

                             

                             

                            I know you are currently stuck on a PPC and that's the limiting factor, but I much prefer printing from Lightroom for a host of workflow reasons. And yes, I wish LR had soft proofing which I always do for serious final prints in Photoshop, but I'll usually bring the image back into Lightroom to make the final print. Lightroom's print workflow is better than Photoshop's. The actual quality is, I think equivalent.

                            • 11. Re: HUGE file sizes
                              Level 4

                              Thank you for your kind elaboration and insight, Mr. Schewe.

                              Jeff Schewe wrote:

                               

                              …And yes, I wish LR had soft proofing which I always do for serious final prints in Photoshop, but I'll usually bring the image back into Lightroom to make the final print. Lightroom's print workflow is better than Photoshop's. The actual quality is, I think equivalent. [emphasis added]

                               

                              My assumption is that you're referring to the problems currently being experienced with printing in Photoshop running the last few versions of the OS.

                               

                              I fully understand that, and in this respect I'm happy and fortunate to be running Tiger 10.4.11 and printing out of Photoshop 11.0.2..

                               

                              As a matter of fact, sometimes I even boot into straight, native Mac OS 9.0.2 and print out of Photoshop 7.0.1 when I need to print with the Mate Black ink on my Epson 2200, thereby bypassing the hassle of deleting and adding printers to my printer list in order to change the black ink cartridges in Mac OS X.  Changing the inks in Mac OS 9.0.2 is a snap (pun not intended, but readily embraced). 

                               

                               

                               

                              ____________

                              Wo Tai Lao Le

                              我太老了

                              • 12. Re: HUGE file sizes
                                Hudechrome Level 2

                                What problems? Compared to qimage, any PS pri

                                nting is a dream.