9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 12:05 PM by Harm Millaard

Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5

CadenceDVE

OK, so I think I've got my rig set up for the most efficiency and performance in regards to the hard drives...

I have 5 drives total, but only four are used continuously, 1 is external.

I'll number them to make it easier...

1. Boot - 10K veloci - contains OS and programs only

2. Media - 10K veloci - holds all media to be cut

3. Swap - 64 gig SSD - holds OS's pagefile, media swap file for CS5 - no media files here, just cache files

4. Storage - Caviar Black sata3 - 7200rpm drive but suprisingly fast - holds all finished renders

5. External storage - Caviar blue on an esata port - used for daily backups.

Questions:

A --   Is a single 10K veloci, holding all my uncut media files, fast enough to allow me to screen the media at full resolution?

B -- The #4 is pretty fast for 7200rpm drive -- its sustained write speeds are around 80-90, so I thought that would be enough.  Should I be outputting my renders to the #3 since it's an SSD?  It's sustained write speeds are around 140-150.  I did not think that I would need that amount of speed, since most renders will be in h.264 and will be small-ish files around a few hundreds megs or so... perhaps a 1 gig at most.

C -- So, I'm wondering -- it is better to output the renders to the #4 drive, or to the #3?  But since the #3 was already being used for the OS's and PP's cache files, I thought it'd be too much to use it as an export drive, too.  Or am I wrong?

Any advice or suggestions about how best to set up my drives is very much appreciated... thanks!

• 1. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You have given this serious thought. Bravo. And yes, it should be enough speed unless you have very complex projects or a lot of multi-cam situations.

One consideration, a 10 K Velociraptor is fast as long as fill rates do not exceed 60 - 65%. Performance goes down after that and since the max size is 600 GB, is that enough for your requirements?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
            CadenceDVE Level 1

Hey again!

Thanks for your reply Harm.

I actually have the 150 sata2 velocis, so the media drive is going to be used for files from one project at a time -- not for holding all the files for multiple projects.

Thanks for the tip on the fill rate -- I did not know that performace drops off after the drive gets to 60-65% -- good to know!

I liked the 150s because I usually tend towards less platters rather than more when possible, so I'll be shuttling around data files a bit when I move from one job to the next, but I can live with that.

I have a hardware PCI-e raid card I can use in the future for a raid 0 setup if I need more speed for my media drive, but I'm glad to know a single 10K will be fast enough for now...  I'm really liking the speed of pci-e based SSD drives like OCZ's, so I'm thinking that might be the next step in a year or so, when the prices drop a bit.

Another Q -- I can move up to the i7-850K in my motherboard's 1156 socket size, but that's it.  The K version has an unlocked multiplier though, so I know I could easily OC that processor up a fair bit, and I have a wonderful noctua low rise cpu cooler, so temps will be well controlled.

On the other hand, I can just OC my i5-650 to 4.0, so I'm wondering if there is much value to upgrading the processor, considering the $300 price tag and the inherent limits of the 1156 socket...

Anyway, thanks again! I'm really looking forward to getting some work done, I've been stalled out for weeks while I work on this upgrade...

• 3. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look at the PPBM5 Benchmark

There is one i5-760 in the list at 715 seconds, around 8 times slower than a fast system. Your i5-650 will be significantly slower, even overclocked. At this moment I would advise against upgrading the CPU to an i7-870, because even an overclocked i7-860 @ 3.4 is more than 5 times slower than a fast system, so it seems like a waste of money.

For some considerations about systems, read the articles shown when pressing the Overview tab and look at this article: Adobe Forums: Tapeless workflows and Sandy Bridge or...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

""

3. Swap - 64 gig SSD - holds OS's pagefile, media swap file for CS5 - no media files here, just cache files''''

we have tried this it did nothing at all for increased performance

i say dont waste your money..

Scott

ADK

• 5. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Where do you put your Project files and other non-video assets?

• 6. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
                    CadenceDVE Level 1

All of the project files are saved to the storage drive, a caviar black 1gig.

The non-video assets like stills and SFX files are stored on the same media drive that holds all the uncut clips.

I was able to get the "hack" going so I can enable hardware MPE with my GTX465 -- works perfectly!

I screened some clips last night and everything ran smooth but we'll have to see what happens when I start mucking up my timeline with a bunch of FXs...

• 7. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
                      CadenceDVE Level 1

""

3. Swap - 64 gig SSD - holds OS's pagefile, media swap file for CS5 - no media files here, just cache files''''

we have tried this it did nothing at all for increased performance

i say dont waste your money..

Scott

ADK

Huh?

That makes no sense -- there would have to be a de facto increase in general system speed.  I have only 8 gigs -- my pagefile will be getting lots of use.

Perhaps with a 16 or 24 gig system, pagefile useage would be so minimal that increasing its overall access speed would be totally moot.

• 8. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
                        CadenceDVE Level 1

So, no one has really touched directly on my question, but I'm going to assume from the fact that no one freaked out or told me that I had my disc set up

completely wrong that I must have hit upon the most efficient set up.

Here it is again:

1. Boot - 10K veloci - contains OS and programs only

2. Media - 10K veloci - holds all media to be cut, still media too

3. Swap - 64 gig SSD - holds OS's pagefile, media swap file for CS5 - no media files here, just cache files

4. Storage - Caviar Black sata3 - 7200rpm drive but suprisingly fast - holds all finished renders

This seems to me to be a pretty ideal set up, obviously a could of SSDs in raid 0 would be great, but I don't have the $ for that right now.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to better assign the various PP folders to other drives, please feel free to chime in...

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

• 9. Re: Q's on ideal 4 disc setup for Premiere Pro CS5
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Like many people influenced by marketing hype, they tend to favour SSD's because of their alleged speed. They forget two major things:

1. The price is around 50 times higher per GB than conventional disks.

2. The performance is no better.

Tests have shown that single SSD boot disks and multiple (up to 8) SSD's in a raid for storage do not show any noticeable effect on performance. For the moment they are a complete waste of money.