10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 3:27 PM by the_wine_snob

Video Sizing

Digmar

Ok, I have a newbie question that has probably been asked somewhere on this forum before...

I have videos of various sizes, mainly 720 x 486 and some new stock video from Digital Juice that render out at 1920 x 1080 in HD. I have the now defunct Visual Hub program which still works fine for downsize/upsize video segments, however, is there something I'm missing in Premiere that would let me standardize my video segments to one size?

Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: Video Sizing
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Every clip has an intrinsic Motion effect which houses parameters like Position and Scale. You would use Scale to fit your footage to your sequence dimensions.

There is also an option when you right-click a clip in a sequence to "Scale to Frame Size." This *works* but it might not give you the result you're after, e.g. widescreen footage "Scaled to Frame Size" in a 4:3 sequence will be letterboxed. It also doesn't change the Scale parameter, which can be a problem if you want to blow that clip back up to be letterboxed. There is also a program-wide preference for this in Edit > Preferences > General.

• 2. Re: Video Sizing
            Digmar Level 1

Thanks Colin, let me take a look at your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

• 3. Re: Video Sizing
              Colin Brougham Level 6

One thing you can do, if you have a lot of clips of one size that you will be scaling to another size, is to set up your scaling once with the fixed Motion effect, and then save the Motion effect as a preset. I've built a number of presets in this way--for example 1080i/p HD to 4:3 SD, 720p to 16:9 DV, etc. You can pretty quickly apply these scaling "recipes" to the clips that need them.

• 4. Re: Video Sizing
                Digmar Level 1

Thanks again Colin. I think I'm going to have to play with this. I've never done this with Premire, so a little learning curve on this one. BTW - are your instructions for Mac or PC? If they aren't the same, I'm on a Mac, Snow Leopard.

• 5. Re: Video Sizing
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

They're universal; applies to both OSes.

• 6. Re: Video Sizing
                    Digmar Level 1

Thanks...

• 7. Re: Video Sizing
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The "fixed Effects," that Colin pointed to, are accessed when the Clip is Selected in the Timeline, and then from the Effects Control Panel (note: this is not the Effects Panel, where you can pick Effects to be added). With all Video Clips, you will see Opacity, Rotation, etc., and also Motion. Twirl open (little triangle besides Motion) Motion to reveal the Scale and Position Effects.

BTW - I like, and use, Colin's method myself, and use both Motion>Scale (and possibly Motion>Position).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Video Sizing
                        Digmar Level 1

Thanks Bill - It took me a minute or two, but figured out scaleing was after selecting the particular clip in the timeline.  @ Todd - Thanks for the link. I'll read through the Adobe page as well.

As it turns out, there was also a render option in the Juicer 3 software that allows for speed control, canvas size, etc. This will provide an easy way to render all the stock video's into a particular format. I have been using the scale feature though in Premire to monkey with still images as well. Tomorrow, I'll dive into the effects further...

• 10. Re: Video Sizing
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and glad that the software allows so much control. You can use that to your advantage to get output that will be very close to what you need for Import. I always try to feed PrPro what it likes best. If nothing else, that takes some processor load off the program, and usually eliminates some potential problems down the line.

Good luck,

Hunt