9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 10:36 AM by VDOSurfer

Premiere elements 9 trial problems

Yeximus

Ok, so I downloaded the trial for premiere elements 9 about a week ago, and realised I had to update my graphics drivers for my Nvidea GeForce GT220 graphics card. Basically it told me the drivers were uncompatable and should be updated.

I did so, and I'm now running the newest driver 260.99.

I however, still get the message telling me to update the driver. The preview and playaback sectiosn do nto show an image and are isntead constantly frozen when in the editor, and all around it's generally slow.

I've checked my system and I meet all the minimum requirements, yet, it still says the driver is out of date. I really need help to fix this problem as I now only have about 23 days left of the trial.

Did anybody else get this? And if so how was it fixed?

~Yeximus

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There are several threads on the "baddrivers.txt" file, and users getting the error message, even after updating their video driver. After the update of the driver, removing that bad drivers text file, and re-booting has fixed things. Some users have had difficulty finding that TXT file on their systems, to delete it. A Search of this forum for "baddriver.txt" (without the "s) should yield several threads, and in a few, the users have given the exact Path to the file on their systems. This FAQ Entry also addresses this issue.

Also, on the upper section of the main forum page, there is a sticky (changes between two messages) and it shows what is disabled in the trial version.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
            Yeximus Level 1

Thanks I'll see if that works.

EDIT: It would appear that I don't have a premiere elements 9.0 folder at all...

I don't actually know why...

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
              nealeh Level 5

You should first try and update your trial to version 9.0.1. I say try as 9.0.1 was issued after I had my licensed version so don't know if it is possible with the trial.

Then I highly recommend the utility Everything Search Engine it's free and works instantly (after the first run when it indexes your drives) to find baddriver.txt.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You certainly should have a PrE 9 folder. On a default PC installation it would be C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Elements.

My guess is that you also have your Folder Options set to the default, where most things seem to fall into the "hidden" category, and the same for file extensions. You might want to change your Folder Options to basically show everything. You are on a PC, right?

While I have not used Neale's suggested search utility, many have and sing its praises.

Good luck in the search for the baddrivers.txt file,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
                  nealeh Level 5

On my W7-64 bit system BadDrivers.txt is located in C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\ and consists of the single line:

##FALSE#0#0#0

I would imagine if you made this file read-only it might prevent the problem recurring.

Anyone out there, plagued by this problem, that wants to try that?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

Yeximus, have you downloaded the patch? Do a Help->Updates and check to see what you have there..  I think there was a fix for this in the patch

• 7. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Oh! And delete the BadDrivers file before installing the patch and see if it is recreated and still you have the issue. If you do, it is likely that you actually have a bad driver, well at least according to PRE 9.. Hope not though.

• 8. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
                        Yeximus Level 1

I( have it set to show hidden files, I'm trying the search utility, but, wil ldeleting thsi file also likely stop the problems I have with the playback and rpeview features?

• 9. Re: Premiere elements 9 trial problems
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

It should improve the playback experience if the drivers are not blacklisted.. So Yes, delete them and hopefully playback should be better