5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 9:06 AM by suspenders11

Scattering or Exploding into balls or beads

suspenders11

Hi.  I am trying to "explode" or "shatter" an object into spheres or beads and am having a hard time making it work.  The best I could come up with so far is to shatter the object using "shatter" with the shape set to "eggs"... but that looks more like discs than beads.  I'm also using "particle world" on another layer with the "shaded sphere" shape... which is exactly the type of particle I'm looking for, but the problem comes in the transition.  That is to say, I'd like the object to disintigrate into the beads, and all I can manage right now is disintigrating the object into egg-shaped discs and dissolving into the layer with the explosion of shaded spheres.  Anyone have a good solution?

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Scattering or Exploding into balls or beads
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not really... You are simply expecting a 2.5D solution to look like perfect 3D. Anything you can do in AE will be just that - a fake. Also exploding something into spheres never really looks good, unless the object itself is visibly made up of connected spheres or sphere-looking objects like light-bulbs or LEDs. for everything else you would explode to fragments or tiny particles which then might transform into spheres after a while/ scale up. Aside from the cheesiness factor, your insistance on using spheres also limits your ability to get away with a fake. As much as a technical problem, it's a design problem. Assuming you were willing to change the particle type and behavior, you could forego the shatter effect entirely and focus on dispersing your letters or whatever into particles and then transition between different particle types - anything from bubbles to butterflies. The chaotic nature would perfectly disguise a lot of imperfections. The object itself could then also be "eroded" in 2D using masks, transitions or effects like Roughen Edges, offering much more control than Shatter. And of course commercial plug-ins like Trapcode Particular would further expand possibilities...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scattering or Exploding into balls or beads
            suspenders11 Level 1

That is exactly what I wanted to know.  Thank you so much for your reply, it is extremely helpful!

• 3. Re: Scattering or Exploding into balls or beads
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CC Ball Action is another effect alternative.

As Mylenium explained, the transition from original object to balls is always problematic if the object is not made up of balls in the first place.  Depending on the aesthetic qualities of your job, judicious use of a flash, or a sudden earthquake-like camera movement or object shudder, can help mask the transition point.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Scattering or Exploding into balls or beads
                bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Ball Action rocks.

Search google or the AE support pages for tutorials on Ball Action. It's far more veritile--and therefore more complicated--than you think. ONe of the cooler applications I found for it is to simulate JumboTron arena video screens.

bogiesan

• 5. Re: Scattering or Exploding into balls or beads
                  suspenders11 Level 1

WhOaaaa!  That's what I needed.   Exactly the effect I was looking for!  Thanks for your help!!!