4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 1:58 PM by Steve Grisetti

Issues with Premiere Elements 8...

honnii207

Just purchased and installed elements 8 on my rather old pc (like 5 years) which I've been upgrading constantly to avoid having to buy a new one. Everything seems to work fine, there's some slight lags when rendering clips etc, but the main issue is when I try to use to use the time stretch tool. I'm just trying to compress a 20 or so minute long shot into 15 seconds, and every time I do, it will render the shot and then crash eventually, without playing it. Can anyone help me with this really annoying problem and maybe give me some advice as to how I can maybe get a better performance from the software?

I'm running XP sp2 (I just factory reset so I'm still updating for sp3)

Nvidia Geforce 8400 gs

3gb ram

pentium 5 2.66GHz

• 1. Re: Issues with Premiere Elements 8...
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with those specs., can you tell us more. One the hardware end, please give us the full details on your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's (Hard Disk Drives), and the amount of defragmented free space (very important), their size, speed, and how you have them allocated?

Then, full details of your source footage and your Project Preset, would be so useful. This ARTICLE will give you tips, and tell you how to find some of that info.

Good luck, and thanks for that additional info,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Issues with Premiere Elements 8...
            honnii207 Level 1

Heya, Thanks for the welcome,

I have one main internal Hard drive, Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA 3Gb/s    80Gb total size, partitioned into

C: Drive with a total size of 22 Gb and 3Gb of free space, contain the OS, Programs and windows virtual memory (3070Mb)

D: Drive with a total size of 44Gb and 42Gb of free space, contains random work data

and an external drive, wd elements with a total size of 2tb and 1.5tb of free space, connected by usb 2.0, all NTFS

the source footage is from my xl2, from the mini DV tapes, I just firewire it from the camera to my external drive into .avi files.

The project preset is PAL-DV-standard 48kHz

if you need any more info just let me know,

Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: Issues with Premiere Elements 8...
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I see two instant issues: lack of defragmented free space, plus the bottleneck of partitions. This ARTICLE will give you some background on partitions, especially for video-editing.

Next, what is the connection type for the external? If USB, then there could well be issues there, as the computer can encounter read/write errors, as the programs will shove material, and ask for more, much faster than that connection type can provide. USB externals are fine for archiving, but can be very problematic, when trying to edit to/from. I use FW-800's with no issues, but eSATA would be even better.

Do you have a laptop (probably mentioned above)? If so, can you use a PCMCIA, or ExpressCard to go to eSATA externals?

If a desktop, I would certainly look at adding at least one additional internal HDD. Not sure where you are located, but Fry's (Western US retailer) just had WD 1.5TB SATA internals, with full installation kit for US $149, and if one uses say ATA-300's, they had a 2TB WD for US$89.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Just noticed "PAL," so forget Fry's, unless they have opened some UK/Euro stores - sorry about that.

• 4. Re: Issues with Premiere Elements 8...
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

3 gigs of free space on your C drive isn't nearlhy enough to keep this program running! I'd recommend at least 20-30 gigs, and regular defragmentation.

Also, ensure your D drive is formatted NTFS rather than FAT32, which can also choke video work.