10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 7:44 AM by rhw80

New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?

shiffsportsmarketing Level 1

Hello to hopefully my new best friends

I am editing college football highlights.  I have been using iMovie for about 3 years, but it lacks certain features that I was told (still hoping!) Premiere Elements 9 has.  Anyway -- I am editing from full game videos from an external hard drive.  I have imported an mp4 file (full game), dragged it to the timeline, and edited out the plays that I want to keep, then delete the rest of the footage.  So, I have lots of short clips on my timeline.  Before I begin the "real editing" or adding the transitions, effects, titles, etc., I would like to be able to "tag" each little clip with a keyword, such as "tackle, sack, interception, etc." - so that I can sort them easily.  I see that you can add keyword tags in the "Organizer" - but that adds the tag to the "entire clip" - which in my case is a complete football game; not my edited clips.  Is there any way to tag my edited clips in the timeline???

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide!

Kim

• 1. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kim,

I've not done this in PrE, so someone else will have to tell you where my process goes off, or exactly how to easily do it in PrE. In PrPro, I can do exactly as you have done, then create Sub-Clips from each of those segments in my Timeline. This will then place them into a Bin (like a folder that I create) in my Project Panel. I have the availability to use many different Columns there, and can even create them to suit. I can also order those Columns, so that say "Description" is the first Column visible, after the Clip/Sub-Clip's name. Some of the Columns, like Description, are text boxes, and I can easily fill them in with just the type of annotation, that you describe. When working on Projects, similar to yours, I will move Description to the head of the list, with Video Usage, and then Audio Usage next. Other attribute Columns follow along, and are ordered to my preferences.

Sorry that I am much less familiar with PrE, as most of my Projects there are rather simple. Still, I know that PrE offers one the ability to display several text Columns in Project Panel, so that part should work. I am just unsure of the Sub-Clips, so that you can easily see just what you have Cut.

Good luck, and I am sure that others will be along in a bit, and can point you to an exact workflow, that will get you what you want.

Hunt

BTW - by using single words in Descriptions, I can even Sort by that Column. Not sure where the alpha runs out - first letter of first word, or something else?

PS - Welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
            shiffsportsmarketing Level 1

Thanks, Bill..... Hoping someone else will have some input

I'm trying my hardest not to have to buy Premiere Pro -- ....

Thanks, again,

Kim

• 3. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
              nealeh Level 5

Within the Organize> Project you can create folders for your assets. You can duplicate assets, rename them, and give them each their own In/Out points. But tagging is a feature of the Organizer and, as far as I know, cannot be performed within the project (I'd like to be wrong as it would be handy).

1.png

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Kim,

Knowing that you are extracting material from DVD's, and if you used my suggested workflow from the other thread, you can get exactly what you want in PrE. With Capture through an A-D bridge, from you DVD deck, you will be able to just limit the files to those that you want.

Then, in the Project Panel, with those Captured segments, all you need to do is Click-drag on the Comments Column to move it to a desired position, and then fill in the Text Box for each segment. This image will show you the Project Panel from PrE 4.0, but PrE 9.0 will look very similar, and behave the same, as well. In this example, I added a Comment to each Clip's Text Box, and can even sort on those in alphabetic order. Hope that this helps.

Project_Panel_Columns.png

Note that moved the Comments Column to just behind the Usage Column. You might want to move it one step farther to the left for your purposes.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2

In pre9, what were once editable columns under the Project tab are no longer editable. Adobe started removing (actually hiding the edit boxes) functionality in pre8. About the only column you can edit now is the name column.

• 6. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
                    nealeh Level 5

Bum. That's what I thought but wanted to be proved wrong

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Robert,

Has the Comments Column been completely removed in PrE 9? By default, it is/was a Text Box, so could be edited. Now, even if it can no longer be moved, it would still function, as the OP wants. Is that one now gone?

Thanks for the update,

Hunt

• 8. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
                        Robert J. Johnston Level 2

The "comment" column has been removed, although there is a "description" column. But you can't edit that column. I even hacked the project file and added a description between the description tags of a particular clip, but it didn't show up in pre9.

• 9. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Robert,

That is horrible news. I wonder what the Description Column was intended for, if it cannot be edited?

As PrPro has increased the functionality of the Columns in the Project Panel, it looks like the PrE development team has neutered them!

I find this to be less than desirable, but suppose that it is life. I see the need for a Feature Request to the PrE Development Team here.

Thank you for the confirmation, however painful that is to me.

Hunt

• 10. Re: New to Premiere Elements 9 - adding keywords to clips in timeline?
                            rhw80

Another option is to right click, select "rename" and then enter a description for the clip. I've found however that if I do a cut and paste of the clip that this new name disappears. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong so the technique I've been using is to insert a black frame, about 3 seconds long, on the Video 1 track, and then add a title overlay, which announces the next clip. This ends up on on the Video 2 track so if you rename the title clip it makes it easy to see the sections of the video.