13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 4:14 PM by nealeh

Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.

1964*Redrider

Image1.jpg

• 1. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
          1964*Redrider Level 1

I am going to repost this question as my prior attempt was not very legible.

I have a MPEG-4 file in the "Organizer" which I cannot delete.

When I try, I get the error message, "Error Deleting Media." This problem started immediately after I ran the "Auto-Analyzer" on this file. I have uninstalled (with Revo Uninstaller) and reinstalled Adobe Elements but the file remains. I was also getting the error message "It appears Adobe Premiere Elements closed unexpectedly . . . etc.," prior to the uninstall, but that message has since gone away, but I still have the phantom file that I can't remove. So far this does not seem to have had any detrimental effect on the program, but I would like to be able to remove this file from the Organizer. Any suggestions? I have spent hours searching for a solution with negative results.

My OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Thank you very much . . .

• 2. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When a file is in use by another program, operations, like Deleting might not be possible.

If you have started the AutoAnalyzer, wait until it has completed, and then make sure that no other programs/processes, like Windows Indexing, is not accessing that file. After they quit, try Deleting it again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
              VDOSurfer Level 3

Your catalog seems to have got corrupt. So create a new catalog.

To do this,

Go to Task Manager and Kill the process called ElementsAutoAnalyzer.exe and then do one of these set of steps.

1. Delete the existing Catalog @ "%programdata%\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\" (Type this in the Win+R -> Run Bar, with quotes )

2. Launch Premiere Elements again

OR

1. Launch PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe from \Program files\adobe\elements 9 organizer\

2. Ctrl+Shift+C - to open the catalog dialog

3. Create a new catalog here

4. Launch Premiere Elements 9

Try this and let us know.

• 4. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                nealeh Level 5

If it is a locked file, install the excellent utility 'unlocker' and use it to delete the file from your hard disk. If you do decide to create a new catalog I suggest you rename (rather than delete) your existing catalog.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                  1964*Redrider Level 1

Problem resolved by following VDO Surfer's suggested step #1. However, I did not delete the "Catalog" but did move and rename it prior to creating a new one. I saved the original "Catalog" as it appeared to contain a couple of entries relating to other programs--which if I need at a later date I can now retreave from the "Old Catalog."

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my request for help, and thank you, VDO Surfer for the solution to my problem. I wish I would have posted my question earlier-- before spending  8 hours yesterday trying to resolve it myself. Prior to uninstalling and reinstalling Pre Elements 9 (yesterday), and then dealing with the additional problems that occurred after that fiasco, my computer's boot time was about 2 minutes, now it is taking 4 minutes & 45 seconds to boot up after a shutdown, so now I'll be trying to try resolve that issue.

• 6. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting what worked for you. That will help others in the future.

I maintain that this forum is one of the best resources for both learning and for solving problems, available. Glad that the respondents proved me right again.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                      JTSwinney Level 1

Is there any way to do this with Premiere Pro CS5.5 on a Mac?

• 8. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure that I understand the question. PrPro does not have the Organizer, but uses Bridge, which is more powerful, but does not do "catalogs," in the way that Organizer does.

Can you be more specific, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                          JTSwinney Level 1

thanks for the prompt reply Bill,

I am still learning about all of this as I keep getting the "serious error and must close" error in Pr CS5. I'm watching the forum "The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread but most of the people on there seem to be linking the problem to CUDA updates but my GPU is not CUDA enabled and aslo I'm not on CS6. Anyhow it seems like I might be experiencing something different than them so I've been looking around for perhaps some different things to try.

• 10. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Got you.

I have seen those various threads on the CS 5/5.5/6 Forum, but not being on a Mac (or knowing anything about them really), I have not followed them closely.

I do not see how this thread would apply, give the differences between PrE & PrPro. Sorry.

Good luck, and the same to the Mac-users in the PrPro Forum, as there does seem to be a problem, or problems, with some user's installation of PrPro.

See 'ya in the PrPro Forums.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                              JTSwinney Level 1

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

• 12. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

No problem. When faced with something that I cannot locate a solution to, I spend hours reading in any forum, that might be applicable.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Cannot delete a MPEG-4 file in the Organizer.
                                  nealeh Level 5

Preferences can sometimes become corrupted in CS Applications. To reset CS Photoshop preferences you would start Photoshop and then immediately hold Command+Option+Shift.

It might be worth giving that a try with CS Premiere Pro.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children