2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2011 8:40 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Need Help with after effects file. Please:)

spherenetwork

Hello,

I have a few questions about after effects as well as flash. I would very much appreciate if someone could take the time to help me out.

I bought and downloaded an after effects file of earth rotating. I am planning on using this file as a portion of the background on my website.(looping)

Since it is going online, I want to make sure I can make it the smallest file size possible (with decent quality) to ensure it loads fast.

I am trying to get the footage to loop but am having a very hard time doing this since I am new to after effects. So if someone could start by please telling me how I could do that?

Next, how would I get the after effects file to be an swf file with the lowest file size possible?

If anyone could please help me out that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

• 1. Re: Need Help with after effects file. Please:)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I am trying to get the footage to loop but am having a very hard time doing this since I am new to after effects.

You wouldn't do that in AE. It would only result in more frames and thus counteract your requirement for the smallest possibel file size. Looping can be set as an option when playing back the SWF/ FLV.

Next, how would I get the after effects file to be an swf file with the lowest file size possible?

By not doing it in AE! Yes, you can export an SWF from AE, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. SWF export is limited to emebdding each rendered frame as a JPEG, so files can still get rather large and not play back smoothly. A better way of doing this is to render an FLV via the render queue and then play that FLV vie a suitable pre-made player skin (floplayer, jplayer, nonverblaster etc.) on your page and set the variables of those players in such a way that they become effectively invisible (frameless) and loop the clip. Another option is of course to import your FLV into Flash and create a custom SWF there. Likewise, you could use Flash Catalyst.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Need Help with after effects file. Please:)
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Mylenium is right. I'll add one detail, though: He mentions rendering and exporting an FLV file from After Effects. An F4V file might be better; it works the same way within Flash, but it's a somewhat more modern format with better compression.

Here's information about rendering and exporting a composition as an FLV or F4V file.