6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2011 10:12 AM by Colin Brougham

QT vs MP4 Issues -  Mac PP CS5 - AJA Kona LHi - JVC GY-HM700U

trprod

I have sourced an hours worth of 1080i footage with my JVC HM700U  in the Quicktime format (Sony XDCAM-EX). This footage plays pay perfectly in Final Cut Pro with the Kona Card. In PP CS5, the footage stutters, has horrible audio issues, and is just not "ready for prime-time"

However, using the same camera, but sourcing footage in the MP4 format - PP CS5  plays out the files with no issues at all.  Is there a known bug with PP5 and Quicktime?  I know the AJA card is working fine, as it works with FCP.

I have installed all the latest drivers, software updates  and plug ins for both Premiere and Kona (updated within the past two days).

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: QT vs MP4 Issues -  Mac PP CS5 - AJA Kona LHi - JVC GY-HM700U
          Harm Millaard Level 7

QuiRcktime is a 32 bit application, destroying the 64 bit nature of CS5. Unless you are on a MAC, nobody in their right mind would willingly do that. On a PC you are better off without QuiRcktime. (notice the R is intentional ).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: QT vs MP4 Issues -  Mac PP CS5 - AJA Kona LHi - JVC GY-HM700U
            trprod Level 1

Yes, I am on a MAC -- The 64 bit Nature of PPCS5 certainly is a factor here. The interesting part of this for me is that none of these manufacturers really state this shortcoming in their marketing.  JVC says their workflow is seemless into both applications PPro and Final Cut.

AJA said they have not seen any issues with Quicktime and Premiere--- and Adobe has been promoting their acceptance of QT since last September.

It just doesnt work correctly.  Would love to hear if anyone else shares this experience.

One BIG positive so far-- The combination of The Mercury Engine and Cuda renders at lightning speed... I just rendered a 10 Minute H264 hi def movie in less than three minutes out of PPro -- blows away FCP as of now...

• 3. Re: QT vs MP4 Issues -  Mac PP CS5 - AJA Kona LHi - JVC GY-HM700U
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Because Final Cut Pro is a little behind the times and can't handle native footage, JVC decided to make it easy for FCP editors.  The MOV files created by that cameras are specific to FCP.

Shoot in MP4 if you with to edit in Premiere Pro.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: QT vs MP4 Issues -  Mac PP CS5 - AJA Kona LHi - JVC GY-HM700U
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Interesting that you're having issues with the MOVs, even on the Mac. I've got a few of these MOVs from an HM700 (just test clips), and they import perfectly into Premiere (on Windows!) and playback equally as well. This is even on my antiquated laptop--and I have no other additional decoders/utilities installed that would enable playback of these files. I have MP4s from the same camera, and interestingly enough, I get slightly worse playback performance with those than I do the MOVs!

Perhaps try uninstalling the drivers for the AJA card--it's not likely they would compete, but it's worth a shot. Another thing to check is what player you are using in Premiere; go to Preferences > Player Settings and see what the default player is set to.

• 5. Re: QT vs MP4 Issues -  Mac PP CS5 - AJA Kona LHi - JVC GY-HM700U
                  trprod Level 1

Small MOVs will probably play ok -- I had a series of 6 ten minute clips.  The first MOV played fine for about three minutes in the timeline. Then it started to unravel -- once it started playing poorly, then the timeline became corrupt - and all the MOVs had trouble.

From my readings here - i will stick to MP4 for now for PP projects on the MAC.

• 6. Re: QT vs MP4 Issues -  Mac PP CS5 - AJA Kona LHi - JVC GY-HM700U
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Interesting; the clips I have aren't anywhere near that long, so I can't check to see if the same happens on the PC. This sounds like it could be a memory leak, and might be worthy of a bug report: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form. I've got several hundred 30-minute long MOVs with DVCPRO50 that I'm working with on a PC, and not experiencing any problems, so it could be a Mac-specific or a codec-specific bug.

If you don't need to move things to FCP, then sticking with MP4 is probably the best bet.