12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 10:25 AM by Masanor1

Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?

elephantdesign Level 1

I have a 2.93 Core 2 with 8 Gb of RAM.

I have a Flash video containing animations, graphics and text. It is 2 minutes long. The SWF works fine. ActionScript 3.0. 900x500 resolution.

When I first attempted to export as quicktime, it gave a message very close to this:

"Warning: Runtime Shared Libaries (RSL's) failed to be associated with the file due to Quicktime Publishing Settings."

The wording may be a bit off, this is from memory. Keep in mind I am not even trying to publish at this point, I am exporting. Not that I could tell you the difference.

So after showing this message, the progress bar continues to fill until it is completely full, and then nothing happens. The bar jus sits there full, doing nothing. For hours.

So then after I explored the publishing settings, I found under the 'Flash' tab, a dropdown menu that let me choose "Merge into code" as the integrating the  Runtime Shared Library with the file.Then I hit publish. The progress bar fills and disappears, I press okay. Still, I can not find any movie file (or even the place to choose where published file go) on my computer.

After this, I try exporting. The warning the appeared previously is gone, but the progress bar still freezes when it is full, and no file is produced.

One thing I have been thinking is maybe it has to do with the number of frames in my file. I have inserted the stop action at the end, so the video stops and does not loop when previewing the SWF, however there are still many blank frames, that don't contain any objects or tweens or anything like that. The setting is currently "stop encoding at last frame" which I assume means the last frame of my video before the stop function. I cannot figure out a way to make the empty frames after this point dissappear, I just figure it is part of the program itself.

If anyone has any more questions that will help figure this out, let me know.

I have searched these forums and only found about 4 related unanswered question, I can't find any help anywhere else on the web either.

If anyone knows of any other method of converting the SWF file or the FLA file to pretty much anything else useful such as MPEG, AVI, etc, please let  me know. I have tried Media Encoder and After Effects and neither of them could help me convert the file.

Thanks in advance for any input AT ALL you might have!!!!!

Message was edited by: elephantdesign

• 1. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

It's tough to tell what might be wrong. Do you have all of the extraneous empty frames at the end of the timeline clipped off? How many frames are you using? I've found that there is a limit to the number frames that can be exported as a movie. I don't remember what that maximum is, I've just finished a file that I had to split to export, the longest segment was over 9000 frames.

Have gone through the Quicktime file options to make sure that you are specifying the frame rate and the video and audio codecs correctly?

Have you tried exporting a smaller chunk of the Flash file?

• 2. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
            zippy2306 Level 1

I am having the same problem and I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. I never had this problem with CS3 I just hit export as QT movie and it worked. I recently upgraded to CS5 on Macs (Tiger and Snow Leopard). I read the Adobe support and it says to change the settings to Flash Player 5? I tried that but that didn't work because my file is a later version. When I export I get the progress bar filled, but it hangs up?

I can't seem to export as FLV because I don't know how to get my animation into the library. This moview is a frame by frame animation - 30 seconds long - Frame rate 6FPS (I had to do this to get my animation to play right.) It has 3 layers - the animation, sound and a stop action layer. Do I have to make the whole thing a movie clip and put it in my Library.

Any help is much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
              robdillon Most Valuable Participant

As I listed in the previous message, there are a number of reasons why an export to QT might fail. You Flash movie sound very short. Is all of the animation on the timeline, or is some of the animation triggered by Actionscript? If you play the Flash movie using Test Movie, does it play correctly, do you get any compiler or output errors? Do you have real Quicktime installed or just Quicktime that comes with the operating system?

Are you setting up the export to use a video or audio compressor that you don't have installed? If this is the case, can you export using no compressors?

I don't understand the part about exporting to FLV.

• 4. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                Masanor1 Level 1

When you select 'When last frame is reached' for 'Stop exporting' option, it stops recording when the movie reaches the last frame of the movie. However, if you have 'stop();' action in the frame of the movie, it stops the movie but keeps recording the movie and runs out your system memory. You can either comment out the stop action or specify the duration of the recording checking 'After time elapsed' option at 'Stop exporting' option. There is a tip on optimizing the QuickTime export in our knowledge base site: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401520.html. Thanks

• 5. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                  zippy2306 Level 1

Thanks Rob - I think I got it figured out. I was using the wrong codec.

This is from the Adobe Flash pages about exporting an FLV file.

Export a FLV file

1. Select  the video clip in the Library panel.
                  2. Select Library > Properties and click Export.
                  3. Enter a name for the exported file. Select a location to save it to, click Save, and click OK.
                  • 6. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                    moccamaximum Level 5

To Avoid any troubles with VideoCodecs and Flashs Bad Relationship with Quicktime I started to use Screenrecorder Programs like Camtasia or Fraps when making a Movie from Animations. The results are very often much better then what I can achieve with Flashs own Export functionality.

• 7. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                      zippy2306 Level 1

Hmmm - I didn't think of that! I have SnapZPro. I am going to try it. I'd still like to know what those flv instructions are. I got those from the Adobe Flash pages.

• 8. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                        Masanor1 Level 1

Exporting .flv files from Library only works when you import .flv into Flash as embedded videos. Embedding videos in Flash is not ideal way to play back video becaues it may have audio/video synch issue if the video is not short (a few seconds), and the codec used for exporting is kind of old. The best way to get the .flv out from Flash content is to export it as QuickTime movie and convert it to .flv files in Adobe Media Encoder.

• 9. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                          zippy2306 Level 1

Thanks everyone so much - Now I understand about the saving an flv from Flash - only Adobe don't explain that. I find that actionscript can interfere with saving as Quicktime. It also seems there's some degradation when saving as a qt then encoding as a flv. The only reason I want to know these things is that I am taking a dreamweaver class and having to import flv files. I generally just save qt movies for uploading to various web sites. I am still not sure of the best way to save the qt files and then Flash Media encoder has so many options I get dizzy.

Cheers!

• 10. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                            moccamaximum Level 5

As a general rule of thumb for encoding options you can have a look at the

presets the MediaEncoder ships with.

When targeting Flashplayer 8+ you will also prefer the On2-Codec and avoid the Sorenson. The On2 is comparable to mp4 (H.264,H.264) the Sorenson is kind of outdated.

• 11. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                              elephantdesign Level 1

This was the issue that was causing my problem. Sorry it took me so long to respond. New semester and such.

The file exported fine once I removed the stop action and told it to stop recording at the end of my video. I had made sure all the other issues mentioned were okay, the framerate and other various settings and made sure there were no frames left over after. The test movie plays flawlessly every time as well as any SWF that was produced. I had no problem with the FLV file, except for that in that format the movie cannot be uploaded to the most popular video sharing site we all know and love (perhaps).

However, now that the file is properly exported, there are issues with some of my animations. For instance, when text moves up or down on the page, it leaves remnents of the characters - such as the top ridge of a set of words - left over. As the text movies it leaves "copies" or small sections of the word or illustration on the screen. This does not happen in the preview or in the SWF. Only quicktime. I cannot seem to find the solution to this anywhere either.

I appreciate everyone helping out on this very very much.

• 12. Re: Exporting CS5 Flash to Quicktime - Why doesn't it work?
                                Masanor1 Level 1

Tracing artifacts in the tween on Mac is known issue when you export an animation as QuickTime. You can  switch the preference for how Flash handles the recording of the movie. Please refer  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401520.html,  and follow the directions to change the preference, which will solve your issue.

Thanks