6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 11:28 AM by Joergen Geerds

FR: color temperature adjustment layer

Joergen Geerds

I know there are 5 million methods to adjust colors in PS, but I would really prefer a simple (and almost scientific) method like the color temperature adjustment in ACR (with the green-magenta color cast adjustment).

Ideally, PS would read the current color temperature from the EXIF data (and adjust to any adjustment layers below), and give the option to pick a neutral pixel (and display the color shift based on that). in case there is no original color temp available, the grey pixel picker could be used to establish a base value, and give the user at least relative color shift values (or the user could enter the values by hand from ACR).

The reason for this is that most (pro) photographers probably know the color temp of their environments (lights, ambient, gels etc) (or can read those values from ACR), so adjusting values in regards to kelvin would make things much more precise than the ambivalent values of e.g. the color balance adjustment.

• 1. Re: FR: color temperature adjustment layer
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
          and give the option to pick a neutral pixel and (do you mean CHANGE?) the color shift based on that). in case there is no original color temp available, the grey pixel picker could be used to establish a base value

Already available.

• 2. Re: FR: color temperature adjustment layer
            Joergen Geerds Level 1
            and give the option to pick a neutral pixel and (do you mean CHANGE?) the color shift based on that). in case there is no original color temp available, the grey pixel picker could be used to establish a base value

Already available.

Yes, there is a neutral picker in levels and curves, I am well aware of that.

what I was saying is that the proposed color temperature (and e.g. the color balance) adjustment would benefit from a neutral picker also.

otherwise, maybe i didn't understand your reply: are you saying there is a color temperature adjustment already in photoshop? please tell me...

• 3. Re: FR: color temperature adjustment layer
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

You need to understand some color theory. In a way "Temperature" and "Tint" in RAW are similar to going into LAB mode and using the neutral eyedropper. The result can then be assessed by looking at the cannel curves. B channel representing Temperature, the A channel tint.  The neutral eyedropper in RGB works the same way by neutralizing a specified point, coming to a compromise to do this while keeping tonality (weight) the same.

What you seem to be asking is for the Color Balance tool to also have a neutral eyedropper. My question would be why do you think you need to use the Color Balance tool, when there are much better tools available? Color balance does use different methods of calculation, but I fail to understand peoples attachment to this tool.

• 4. Re: FR: color temperature adjustment layer
                Joergen Geerds Level 1

What I was asking is a different method to achieve the same results what is possible with levels/curves/color balance etc without going into lab mode. (btw, the lack of a grey picker and the zoned approach of color balance isn't ideal sometimes)

thank you for reminding me that I need to brush up on my color theory. your reply has a tone of "why are you asking this, there are already tools for this" which I find a bit too conservative, when my intention is to make PS even more user friendly... if we would go with your paradigm, we wouldn't need levels, because everybody could just use curves, and yet both are very popular and often used based on the users preferences.

what I am asking is bringing the white balance settings from ACR into an adjustment layer, with all it's implications.

it would enable users to specifically balance images with mixed light sources (with the proposed color temp/WB adjustment layer with it's mask) by entering values in kelvin, and not some arbitrary numbers from 0-1 or 0-255. it would be so much easier to balance tungsten to daylight by adding 2000 kelvin to the image, or to control a straw gel that was added somewhere in the scene. I can imagine so many applications for this adjustment layer...

• 5. Re: FR: color temperature adjustment layer
                  Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                  What I was asking is a different method to achieve the same results what is possible with levels/curves/color balance etc without going into lab mode

You can achieve the same visual result in RGB mode. I tried to use LAB as an example to illustrate this.

what I am asking is bringing the white balance settings from ACR into an adjustment layer, with all it's implications.

What you are asking is for a new Adjustment Layer with a simple two sliders. One for Kelvin, one for Tint? I guess its probably a fair enough request. Still not going to give you anything you don't have already though.

• 6. Re: FR: color temperature adjustment layer
                    Joergen Geerds Level 1

What you are asking is for a new Adjustment Layer with a simple two sliders. One for Kelvin, one for Tint? I guess its probably a fair enough request. Still not going to give you anything you don't have already though.

That is correct, that was what I was asking for (plus some extras that should go with this adjustment layer (i.e. grey picker).