8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 6:46 PM by the_wine_snob

codec problem with PrE 2.0

AndrewSixtyTwo

I needed to edit some HDV footage but only having an old laptop running PrE2.0, I converted the clips first. I converted using QuickMediaConverter to AVI/DivX was then able to view, edit, render etc. the clips in PrE 2.0. I happily edited for several weeks then, without warning, PrE 2.0 started having problems with the same clips.

Now, when I open the same project that used to work fine in PrE 2.0, the clips now appear as black boxes and the video cannot be viewed. The audio can still be heard.

I am guessing something was updated on the laptop and messed up the codecs. There was no restore point set so I have been trying to step back and reinstall codecs etc. Now I am stuck!

When I check the converted files with GSpot it says the correct codec is installed - DivX 4 (OpenDivX).

I would really like to fix the problem as I have already done a lot of editing. Otherwise I guess start again and upgrade to PrE 3 or 4 (I have tried trial versions of PrE 7&9 but they are both unstable on my little machine).

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Thank you!
      Andrew

Here are the relevant technical details:

*** LAPTOP SPECS: ***
      Lenoovo T60, XP ServicePack 3
      1.83GHz, 2.00GB RAM

*** ORIGINAL HDV FILE SPECS: ****
      General
      CompleteName                     : G:\ Tape1.mov
      Format                           : MPEG-4
      Format_Profile                   : QuickTime
      CodecID                          : qt 
      FileSize/String                  : 155 MiB
      Duration/String                  : 48s 840ms
      OverallBitRate/String            : 26.6 Mbps
      Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2008-12-17 12:22:01
      Tagged_Date                      : UTC 2008-12-17 12:22:01
      Encoded_Library/String           : Apple QuickTime
      OriginalSourceMedium             : 001
      Media/UUID                       : 9F4CA8BB-AB21-4966-9138-FF20E7BDB3BA

Video
      ID/String                        : 1
      Format                           : DV
      CodecID                          : hdv3
      Duration/String                  : 48s 840ms
      BitRate_Mode/String              : Variable
      BitRate/String                   : 25.0 Mbps
      Width/String                     : 1 416 pixels
      Width_Original/String            : 1 440 pixels
      Height/String                    : 1 062 pixels
      Height_Original/String           : 1 080 pixels
      DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9
      FrameRate_Mode/String            : Constant
      FrameRate/String                 : 25.000 fps
      ColorSpace                       : YUV
      ChromaSubsampling                : 4:2:2
      Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.665
      StreamSize/String                : 146 MiB (94%)
      Language/String                  : English
      Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2008-12-17 12:22:01
      Tagged_Date                      : UTC 2008-12-17 12:22:01

**** CONVERTED FILE SPECS (using Quick Media Converter) ****
      General
      Complete name                    : G:\Tape1_converted.avi
      Format                           : AVI
      Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
      File size                        : 21.0 MiB
      Duration                         : 48s 901ms
      Overall bit rate                 : 3 595 Kbps
      Writing application              : Lavf52.39.2

Video
      ID                               : 0
      Format                           : MPEG-4 Visual
      Format profile                   : Simple@L1
      Format settings, BVOP            : No
      Format settings, QPel            : No
      Format settings, GMC             : No warppoints
      Format settings, Matrix          : Default (H.263)
      Codec ID                         : DIVX
      Codec ID/Info                    : Project Mayo
      Codec ID/Hint                    : DivX 4
      Duration                         : 48s 840ms
      Bit rate                         : 3 522 Kbps
      Width                            : 720 pixels
      Height                           : 408 pixels
      Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
      Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
      Color space                      : YUV
      Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
      Bit depth                        : 8 bits
      Scan type                        : Progressive
      Compression mode                 : Lossy
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.480
      Stream size                      : 20.5 MiB (98%)
      Writing library                  : Lavc52.37.1

• 1. Re: codec problem with PrE 2.0
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It looks as though you took editable video and converted it to an uneditable format!

Although version 2 of Premiere Elements can't even edit HDV. In fact, it can pretty much edit DV-AVIs and that's about it. (You definitely can't edit Divx in any version of the product -- or most video editors for that matter.)

I'd recommend either converting your video to DV-AVIs (using a product like Super) or, better, getting your hands on version 4 or later of Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: codec problem with PrE 2.0
            AndrewSixtyTwo Level 1

Thanks for your prompt response Steve, much appreciated.

Yes, looks like I somehow managed to fool PrE with my dodgy converted files for a while, but then it woke up!

I tried Super without success but saw on you'd also suggested Movie Maker as a DV-AVI converter elsewhere, which I found has worked. So I could go back and re-convert the files again.

However I think I am going to follow your advice and upgrade to PrE 4.0. I have looked at the specs for it and I think my Lenovo T60 should be OK?

Thanks again

Andrew

• 3. Re: codec problem with PrE 2.0
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

What ever you do, I would stay far away from DivX, or Xvid. Those are very highly-compressed, delivery formats/CODEC's for deliver only.

That you got Imports with both Audio & Video is amazing. Most users, with much more recent versions of PrE, have major issues, plus the compression is extremely heavy, so quality will definitely suffer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: codec problem with PrE 2.0
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As for that laptop -- it's near the bottom of the real world specs for video editing, but it may work.

It's hard to say, since the specs for that computer say it could have a 120 gig hard drive -- or it could have a 40 gig.

You'll definitely want to keep at least 20-30 gigs of free, defragmented hard drive space on your computer at all time. I don't know that that leaves you much room for your video! So it may also be wise to get an external hard drive and use it to store your video and storage files. If you keep it connected to your laptop, it may work like a second hard drive.

Although, in all honesty, you may be better off investing in a new desktop computer. This model of laptop is several years old and has a very low-powered processor. You may be amazed at how much more power (and a much more satisfying video editing experience) you can get for a few hundred dollars in a new HP!

• 5. Re: codec problem with PrE 2.0
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>think my Lenovo T60 should be OK?

Desktop Video Editing PC http://www.adkvideoediting.com/
                  Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                  - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
                  - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
                  - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                  You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                  Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                  You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                  A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
                  One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 6. Re: codec problem with PrE 2.0
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I think my Lenovo T60 should be OK?

Usually, the biggest limitation of a laptop is the I/O sub-system, i.e. the number and size of HDD's (Hard Disk Drives). This ARTICLE will give you more detail and background.

Also, many laptops have embedded Intel graphics chips. These are fine for word processing, a little Excel work, but not good for video editing. The biggest drawback is the total lack of driver updates and support. An NLE (Non Linear Editor), like PrE, interfaces more closely with the video driver (and audio driver too), than almost any other program will. It is necessary to be able to update the driver frequently, and have updates available, with video editing. If you have an Intel embedded graphics chip, you will very likely encounter display issues at some time. An nVidia, or ATI chip is highly recommended.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: codec problem with PrE 2.0
                      AndrewSixtyTwo Level 1

Thank you all so much - this forum has to be one of the most helpful I have ever used.

I certainly will, when my meagre budget allows, upgrade my machine - well overdue!

In the meantime I do have three external HDDs that I can allocate as per the articles to help spread the I/O load. At least my machine does have the ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 display chipset.

I am also upgrading to PrE4.0 to keep me going just a little bit longer.

Thanks again
                      Andrew (in sunny London, UK)

• 8. Re: codec problem with PrE 2.0
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Having an ATI chip, and their driver support, is a very, very positive note.

For full utilization of externals, I use FW-800's, and eSATA is even better. FW-400/IEEE-1394a will work, but is slow. Unfortunately, the USB units connect so slowly, that editing to/from can cause major issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - We're in London in April and October, and are often told that we bring the best weather of the year. Now, there have been a few times, when we did not hear that, but fully understood. Then, there was the year that our April trip got moved to June, and it was the hottest June that either the UK, or Europe had experienced in over 50 years. Even being from Arizona, USA, the land of the desert and the saguaro cactus, we admitted that it WAS hot. Sunny London is good. Just had two guests from London here for an event, and they both commented on how nice it was to warm up - but that was just over a week ago.