6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 7:28 AM by nealeh

Video Codec Help

joesmith181

I am new to video editing so any help is appreciated. When I go to play im Premiere Elements it says that I do not have the right compressor/decompressor(codec) installed. The video title is M4H00325(1).wmv if that is of any assitance. I had a company named IYogi "fix" my computer and ever since I have had problems with downloading and viewing pretty much everything. Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Video Codec Help
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

Are you on a PC or a Mac?

You may be able to edit a WMV file in Premiere Elements on a PC -- but it's probably not the best format to do so. In fact, you'll probably just end up choking the program on it.

I'd recommend you convert the file to a DV-AVI, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Video Codec Help
            joesmith181 Level 1

Thanks for the respone. I am using a JVC GZ-MG630SU and i use the standard camera to computer usb cord that came with it. The computer I am using is a Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 64-bit. I think the normal file for the camera is MPEG-2 but they all seem to be wmv now? Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Video Codec Help
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If the file format is WMV, and you are on the PC, you should have the CODEC's installed. Now, MS once installed the full gamut of WMV CODEC's, with the OS, but as of Vista, some versions of the OS did not have those MS CODEC's installed. One had to go to the MS site and download the MS Vista CODEC pack. It could be that with some versions of Win7, that is still necessary.

I do not recommend CODEC "packs," with the exception of the ones from MS, as most of the others install all sorts of programs, and will often overwrite good CODEC's with hacked versions, often killing those.

Good luck, and do check out the MS Web site for an MS CODEC pack.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Video Codec Help
                joesmith181 Level 1

Could you find me the correct link to a good codec. Every time I am unsure if it is safe or not. Sorry for the hassle, much appreciated.

• 5. Re: Video Codec Help
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How is the video from your camcorder turning into a WMV?

You should not be capturing this video with Windows Media Player.

You should be using Premiere Elements Get Media/From Hard Drive Camcorder to download the video to your computer. It should then edit easily in a project that's set up for the JVC-GZ camcorder.

• 6. Re: Video Codec Help
                    nealeh Level 5

You can download Windows Media Player v9 codecs from Microsoft: Download details: Codec Installation Package

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful