May be some corrupt prefrence settings which are creating problem. Try this.
1. Uninstalled all the Adobe products.
2. Delete the files and folders from C:\Program files\adobe\
3. Delete the files and folders from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe
4. Increase the Virtual Memory.
5. Download and install Adobe Reader X.
Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?
We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.
To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.
We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.
Thanks and regards,
Adobe Prerelease Team
The link you posted directs you to a page that says "Sorry, this page is not available"
By the way, I tried the steps posted above, and am unable to get Adobe Reader X to open at all.
So, I tried the following steps which are posted (in thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/772223) which indicate the following steps:
1. Right click on Reader icon and choose Run As..
2. Select 'The following user...' radio button
3. Provide credentials (username and password of your system)
4. Choose 'Open with protected mode disabled' and click OK.
...and that opened Adobe Reader X. However, I tried opening a file from the File menu, and the application ends up non responsive then pops up the 'Adobe Reader has encountered a problem and needs to close'. I tried double clicking an Adobe file, and the 'Adobe Reader has encountered a problem and needs to close' message appears.
Anyone at Adobe know how to fix Reader X? I ended up going to the following site to get version 9.4 at http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions
and now all is well with the world
Message was edited by: wrightinter