15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 1:59 PM by Crist OC/PC

Performance nightmare: noob user

mikecazzx@gmail.com Level 1

Windows 7

4 gig ram

Intel quad core 2.4 ghz

Nvidia Geforce 8600 512 mb

Sata drives 7200 rpm - c for programs d for scratch video e for scratch audio

Realtime preview window set to full - previewing 1920x1080 avchd video from GH1.

Video stutters, stops, audio continues, video stops.

I want to find out whats wrong before investing anymore money into a video card or Cuda etc - this cannot be working right.

Are you telling me my machine is subpar to simply edit some video?

I have been through the FAQ's and I am not finding anything obvious.

• 1. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I think your machine is probably a bit underpowered for 1080i/p AVCHD. It no doubt meets or exceeds the hopelessly optimistic system requirements as listed by Adobe, but AVCHD is pretty demanding stuff and to have any sort of decent editing experience at all, you're looking at something like an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM as the minimum. Your machine would probably get by on just about anything else, but AVCHD is an NLE widowmaker.

• 2. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
            Jim_Simon Level 9

It's possible your CPU is the culprit.  What model number?

• 3. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user

Unsure on the exact model number

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz

64 kilobyte primary cache

4096 secondary cache

Runs like a champ if I edit in Sony Vegas - same files, avchd.

• 4. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user

Just seems hard to believe.  I have always thought of Adobe products of hopelessly bloated and inefficient, so this would fall right in line with my past experience.

I guess I bought the hype about handling avchd and this mercury crap (yes I know I dont have mercury enabled).  I will not build a new machine just to make Adobe work.  I will stay in Sony Vegas and actually be productive.  I just cannot believe in 2011 this machine cant cope with avchd and adobe?

• 5. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
                  shooternz Level 6

Apart from the meagre amount of RAM... what else you got running on this system?

FWIW: this afternoon...Jan, 2011....I was discussing with a post production house some workflows in their new system.

One of the specs....60GB RAM.

• 6. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, PrPro is designed to work on a pro system. Sony's Vegas is designed to work on a consumer system. They are totally different NLE's.

I would stick to Vegas, until you can upgrade the CPU, the RAM and probably the I/O sub-system. I think that you will be much happier.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

Unsure on the exact model number

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz

Unfortunately, with the difference in architecture these days, straight specs don't mean as much as they used to.  The model number will really tell the story.

• 8. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Use http://www.piriform.com/speccy to show what you have in terms of hardware. This is a great free tool for people that are not hardware savvy and have difficulty stating their specs, that are required to help you.

• 9. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
                          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Colin Brougham-IHcD8B nailed it.  Premiere CS5 works great on a properly configured and tuned i7 system with at least 12GB RAM. I have seen MPE speed systems up to 16X related to some editing tasks in Harm and Bill's benchmarks.  Get a decent Nvidia card!!!  One that works relatively well can be had at newegg.com for around $200.  There are huge advantages to using CS5 Production Premium related to Adobe's Dynamic Link.

The reality is, this type of high-end software takes some CPU/GPU horsepower to run efficiently.  One way around a bottleneck related to AVCHD is to buy the $100 Cineform video file conversion software and convert all of your files straight from your camera.  The Cineform codec is a good bit easier on system resources than AVCHD.  AVCHD is really a booger of a codec.

• 10. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Chuck,

It looks like a Q6600 with only 4 GB, so it would probably end right at the bottom of the benchmark results, maybe second place from last, but it is way underpowered for AVCHD editing. I look forward to seeing the OP's Speccy results, but my guess is his system is around 60 - 80 times slower than a fast system, since he does not have MPE acceleration capabilities. I expect his benchmark results to be around 2500 - 2600 seconds.

• 11. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600      Cores     4      Threads     4      Name     Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600      Code Name     Kentsfield      Package     Socket 775 LGA      Technology     65nm      Specification     Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz      Family     6      Extended Family     6      Model     F      Extended Model     F      Stepping     7      Revision     B3      Instructions     MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64      Bus Speed     266.9 MHz      Rated Bus Speed     1067.5 MHz      Stock Core Speed     2400 MHz      Stock Bus Speed     266 MHz      Average Temperature     51 °C           Caches                L1 Data Cache Size     4 x 32 KBytes                L1 Instructions Cache Size     4 x 32 KBytes                L2 Unified Cache Size     2 x 4096 KBytes

• 12. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user

I am going to bump the ram to 8gb my motherboards max.

I am also going to use the hack with an Nvidia 1gb ddr5 Nvidia GT240.  I read that even the low end cards have enough Cuda cores to work well and that buying a massive card does not guarantee any performance increase.

If it still stinks I will just go back to Vegas.  Either way I may have to understand I cannot handle 1080 on this machine.  I did not even think to try 720 video - I wonder if it can at least handle that?

• 13. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user

I tried loading another drive clean and shutting off everything in Windows 7.  It works better, bad, but better.  If I set the preview windows to 1/2 instead of full it could be workable to a point.

• 14. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
                                    multi-mediacorp

The suggestion for playback at 1/4 res might work for you... then you would just have to allow time for rendering.

• 15. Re: Performance nightmare: noob user
                                      Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dear Mike.

QUESTION 1:

Are you ussing PP CS5 64 BITS???

IF Q1="YES":

"YOU NEED A NEW PC"

IF NOT: YOU MUST GET A BETTER GPU Like Matrox. In these cases will be better any how to buy a new PC.

QUESTION 2:

You realy think you have a ok GPU "Nvidia Geforce 8600 512 mb" vor video editing.??

PD. your  choice is to sell your pc instead of try to upgrate your quacore. With 1500$ you can easyle make difference of 300% better performance. Her you will find all help you need.

But honesly you cant demant more to your pc.

b.r.