7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 7:08 AM by Keith_Clark

Change default import time span?

Keith_Clark Level 2

So I'm wanting to basically.... Jury rig an animation myself. And I don't have the luxury of having flash (nor the artistic skill to even use it if i snagged the dmo for a month) ANYWAY, I was thinking of basically doing a frame by frame sequence, importing tiffs. I want it to be 6 seconds long, standard dv preset (so thats, what, 180 unique tiff images? And this is fr myself, not a payed client. So that's why I'm doing it this way)   Ok, is there anyway to set the default import time from 5 seconds to 1 frame when I drag in a tiff onto the timeline from the assets pile? Or will I have to change the duration of each manually? (I guess I COULD change the speed, but it seems more precise to zoom in all the way and go frame by frame)

• 1. Re: Change default import time span?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Do you have an sequence of images that are numbered serially, e.g. _0001, _0002, etc.? Or just randomly named images that you want to be 1 frame each?

If it's the former, there is a checkbox in the import dialog labeled "Numbered Stills;" you select that box and then the first image in your sequence, and it will be imported as a clip with each image interpreted as one frame. You may have to change the frame rate, but that is easily done by right-clicking the clip, selecting Modify > Interpret Footage, and changing the frame rate there.

There is a program preference (Edit > Preferences > General) for changing the default import duration, but I usually don't bother with that. Just import all your images, select them, and go to Clip > Speed/Duration. The Clip Speed/Duration dialog will appear; Speed will be grayed out (since they are images and don't have a "speed"), but Duration can be changed to whatever you like. This will apply to all selected images. You can also do this to a bin of images; just select the bin and do the same thing.

You can do the same to images already in the sequence; just be sure to tick the "Ripple Edit, Shifting Trailing Clip" checkbox.

• 2. Re: Change default import time span?
            Keith_Clark Level 2

Colin Brougham wrote:

Do you have an sequence of images that are numbered serially, e.g. _0001, _0002, etc.? Or just randomly named images that you want to be 1 frame each?

If it's the former, there is a checkbox in the import dialog labeled "Numbered Stills;" you select that box and then the first image in your sequence, and it will be imported as a clip with each image interpreted as one frame. You may have to change the frame rate, but that is easily done by right-clicking the clip, selecting Modify > Interpret Footage, and changing the frame rate there.

There is a program preference (Edit > Preferences > General) for changing the default import duration, but I usually don't bother with that. Just import all your images, select them, and go to Clip > Speed/Duration. The Clip Speed/Duration dialog will appear; Speed will be grayed out (since they are images and don't have a "speed"), but Duration can be changed to whatever you like. This will apply to all selected images. You can also do this to a bin of images; just select the bin and do the same thing.

You can do the same to images already in the sequence; just be sure to tick the "Ripple Edit, Shifting Trailing Clip" checkbox.

good news is, i havent attempted this yet, but i'll keep the numbering in mind. i asked my sister in law if she'd mock it up in flash, but wife says it could take months for her to "get around to it" so i figured i'd do a crude version myself, and if she does ever do it in flash. great. thanks for the tips

• 3. Re: Change default import time span?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

...but i'll keep the numbering in mind.

A good tool to assist with serializing your images (or any other files, for that matter) is my favorite renaming utility, the brilliant ReNamer. Beyond this particular application, I find it has many, many other uses when it comes to media preparation.

Good luck!

• 4. Re: Change default import time span?
                Keith_Clark Level 2

Along the same subject, is there anyway in premiere (or maybe direct me to another program?) where I can import an avi file, and it can batch export each frame, one by one as a tiff or bmp, in full native resolution, numerated, and stored in one folder?

• 5. Re: Change default import time span?
                  Colin Brougham-u9E3Ff Level 1

Piece of cake:

1. Import your AVI into Premiere or AME, and set up an export with Format set to something like TIFF, Windows Bitmap, or another image format
                  2. On the Video tab, check the "Export As Sequence" box; this will reveal a Frame Rate dropdown selector. Pick the frame rate that matches your original video.
                  3. Set other parameters to match your original video, like frame size, field type, and PAR.
                  4. Give your export a name; I like to do something like "Name_" because Premiere will serialize the exported images, start at "000." The number of decimal places depends on the number of frames in the video.

That's it; in your destination folder, you'll have a series of images representing the frames of the source video.

• 6. Re: Change default import time span?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Colin says, exporting a still-image sequence is built right in. In fact, it's a primary way of working with After Effects and other visual effects and compositing applications (and even with NLEs like Premiere Pro when doing film work).

Here's some information about rendering and exporting a sequence of still images in After Effects.

• 7. Re: Change default import time span?
                      Keith_Clark Level 2

thanks! now we're cooking. this will give me something to do this weekend :)