4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 6:24 AM by Butch2oc

Unrendered dissolves causing crash

Butch2oc Level 1

Mac 4.1 latest OS + PP 5.0.3 + GTX285

Editing with XDCAM EX 1080i @ 25fps

I have interpreted footage to 24fps for cinema and am editing in a 24p sequence

Most shots have a speed change

Every time I try to play an unrendered dissolve Prem crashes.

With Hardware acceleration on or off it makes no difference.

Tried using opacity to dissolve, still crashes.

Obviously I can render every dissolve before playing as a workaround.

As I don't have a lot of time I have not tried to convert & edit with different settings or researched deeper as I feel Prem should handle this.

Has anyone got a solution or is this one for the bug report.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Unrendered dissolves causing crash
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Are you able to use the recorded format 25 FPS without problems and forget about 24 FPS?

Why did you not shoot 24 FPS when that is what you wanted. Reshoot seems the simplest approach.

• 2. Re: Unrendered dissolves causing crash
            Butch2oc Level 1

It was shot some time ago for Pal SD and now they want cinema. Reshoot not an option.

I have since rendered out clean 24p files and that seems to have solved issues but as I mentioned I was hopeful that prem would handle originals.

Anyway I will continue with edit now and see if any more issues arise.

Would you have any idea why these problems exist?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Unrendered dissolves causing crash
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Did you try without reinterpreting the clips to 24p? You really just want to conform this, not retime it, I would imagine. In other words, just leave the 25p clips as 25p and edit them in a 24p sequence. It could be the combination of the intepretation and the speed changes (which seem to be the root of many issues in Premiere) that are freaking out.

• 4. Re: Unrendered dissolves causing crash
                Butch2oc Level 1

The originals are interlaced 25fps so to get the best possible results you need to interpret as 24fps so prem (or AE) looks at both fields then pull it into a 24p sequence. The results are very clean.

I think you are right about the combination of the intepretation and the speed changes as my new files seem to be working.

So I guess the rule of thumb is to not interpret from the original file if the edit is complex i.e. ramps/blends/dissolves etc.