2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 8:49 AM by Mylenium

Possible to specify HLS channels for a layer?

Babajewey

I'm looking for an effect/technique that lets me specify individual H, L & S channels for a layer.

The Shift Channels effect does something similar, but for RGB.  Thus instead of "Take Red From..." I'd like "Take Hue From..."

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Possible to specify HLS channels for a layer?
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

HLS cannot be interpreted that way, these are not channels, they are linear adjustments. To use your slightly misinformed  comparison with RGB, the Red channel has several adjustments such as gain, setup, black, white clip, gamma...these are not channels, they are sliders.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Possible to specify HLS channels for a layer?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can construct such a scenario by using effects such as the Channel Combiner or Arithmetic to transpose channel information to a false color representation of alternative color encodings, but as bogiesan said, HLS is not a color space in itself, just one of these alternate representations of conventional RGB/ XYZ space. And for what you seem to have in mind there would be no advantage over working in standard RGB - after all, sampling the Hue is just the same as sampling a uniform RGB tint, more or less.

Mylenium