12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 7:41 AM by Szalam

Memory Allocation Error

mrj7511

I keep getting this message:

After Effects: Memory allocation of 4.0 GB exceeds internal limits. Decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame. (12802). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem (37  ::  58)
        23/01/2011 5:05:34 AM: Finished composition “Comp 1”.

I need to get this project done ASAP i have looked through the forums and online with no real help or at least i cant use the info to fix the issue. What do I need to do to correct this, ive run this now probably 6 times making changes here and there and it gets to the same frame and quits. The frame looks just like everything else with no more or less on the screen with regard to graphics etc and i have been able to render videos before that were similar to this. i am relatively new to the program but i have tried the secret menu and doing a purge. any help would be much appreciated, thanx.

• 1. Re: Memory Allocation Error
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You need to tell us a lot more about your composition and computer for us to help. In general, you should at least tell what version of After Effects you're using, what operating system you're using, and what kind(s) of source footage you're using.

The error message is telling you that the rendering of that single frame with your current settings requires 4GB, which is more than After Effects can allocate for the rendering of a single frame. You need to decrease the memory demands of this frame. What are the width and height of your composition? What effects are you using? What color bit depth? Is this a complex 3D scene?

• 2. Re: Memory Allocation Error
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Errors in the 3x :: xx range are usually either plug-in or file format specific, so chances are this is caused by some third-party plug-in or some assets involved in the project, including footage and possibly also system fonts. But as Todd said, without more info on teh project it's impossible to even guess...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Memory Allocation Error
              mrj7511 Level 1

Sorry about that I was rushing: AE CS5 on Windows 7-

Im doing a video with with 2 small video overlays of video playing, and blinking arrows on the screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cevsc3J3j-4 here is an example of what im am doing and this one worked fine, the only difference is that there are two smaller screens at the bottom on the one im cant get to render. The background footage is all done in Windows Movie maker so the only effects i add in AE is the small screens, a border (not in the first vid) and the arrows. the small screens consists of a series of smaller videos and AE projects that I have imported. the size of the composition is 1280 x 720. no complex 3d scene, i dont use any affects other then raising and lowering the opacity on the arrows to make them blink. i dont remember what the colour depth is and I am trying to render it as an .flv format.

I was curious if I took all of the videos that I use in the 2 smaller screens, put them into a separate AE file and then import them would that make things run better? thanx again for the help

• 4. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                mrj7511 Level 1

I havent installed any extra pluggins or anything that I know of.

• 5. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> i dont remember what the colour depth is

Check.

If you're project's color bith depth is set to something other than 8bpc, then reduce it to 8bpc. A setting of 32bpc takes four times as much memory as 8bpc, so that can be an easy way to reduce the memory demands of a composition.

4GB is a lot for a single frame to request for rendering, so you must have a huge composition (perhaps a precomposition), an effect plug-in (such as a particle effect cranked up to create way too many particles), or something else that is demanding a lot of RAM.

• 6. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                    mrj7511 Level 1

how do i do that?

• 7. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> how do i do that?

See this.

You could search for 'change color bit depth' to find that answer.

• 8. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                        mrj7511 Level 1

thanx i found it and ill giver a try.

• 9. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                          mrj7511 Level 1

It turned out that there was a corrupt image file in one of my imported AE projects, I closed everything, would run the footage, if it worked open up one of the closed image run it again until the error occurred. Then i just replaced the image that it was causeing the problem and it worked fine. thanx for your help guys!

• 10. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                            ZakIckes

So If I was freezing just short of 2,000 frames with the roto brush tool, and at frame 1850 I get this message saying I am short of 7mb of space for that frame, and I know that specific frame is just as complex as all the frames before it, what is my problem? I have had no issues freezing before, and it has been in this same project, with the same single video clip.

I'm on Mac with 8GB ram, working in 8bpc, one layer no fx.

• 11. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                              jbbow

Hi, I'm also having the same problem.  Everytime at 2235 it says I am short on 0.00 space, then I click ok and another one is there and says a higher number, etc....  I am on iMac Retina 5k 8GB ram, on layer, no fx, 8bpc

• 12. Re: Memory Allocation Error
                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ZakIckes and jbbow you are both talking about over a minute of footage! That's really, really long for an effects shot! It would be much better to only do roto work on the frames you need for your shot. Do a rough edit first in Premiere, bring that into AE and only roto the parts of the image you need for your effect.

If, for some reason, you absolutely need over a minute long shot, you may need to do the roto work in segments; the Roto Brush is a very complex effect and is quite a bit of a memory hog.