6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 10:04 AM by Mr. Flashfixmaster

Reader can't open PowerPoint attachments

gbergan52 Level 1

Hi folks,

I've created a PDF document collection on CD for a client of mine. Several of the PDFs have PowerPoint presentation attachments. The entire collection has been password protected (allowing filling in of form fields, and low-res printing). When I test the files, I can open the PDFs and their PPT attachments with no problem on my computer. However, my client is getting the following error message when trying to open the attachments on his computer: "Acrobat cannot open the file attachment because your PDF file attachment settings do not allow this file type to be opened." We have both searched and searched for a file attachment setting that is affecting his ability to open these files but cannot find it.

If anyone can point us in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it! By the way we are using Acrobat 9 on Windows 7.

Regards,

Gail

• 1. Re: Reader can't open PowerPoint attachments
          Mr. Flashfixmaster Level 1

There you have ansrwered your question in the end. You are using Acrobat 9 which has Presenter as a component, Thats why you are able to open the PPT with Acrobat 9.

Your Cleint is using the free version of Adobe Reader, which does not support that Feature. Ask him to use Powerpoint Viewer.

• 2. Re: Reader can't open PowerPoint attachments
            gbergan52 Level 1

Thanks for responding. There must be more to it than Reader vs. Acrobat Pro. I have both Reader and Acrobat Pro on my computer, and I always do my testing in Reader to make sure I'm working in the same environment as my client. When I open a PDF with a PPT attachment in Reader, I am able to open the PPT. We used a similar collection of files for our annual CD last year: PDFs, with PPT attachments, using Acrobat 9 Reader. Last year this issue did not pop up, so I'm really puzzled.

The only thing I see as a possible solution, is that when I try to open the PPT from Reader, I get the warning about macros, viruses, etc., and I'm given the choice to 1) open the file, 2) always open this file type, or 3) never open this file type. I'm wondering if at some point he accidentally chose option (3). Even if he did, there must be some override that we can do.

This CD collection will ultimately be distributed to the attendees and presenters from a technical conference, so several hundred people will be trying to open these files. We have to give them workarounds, otherwise it looks like the error is in the CD itself.

Is anyone from Adobe out there listening?

Thanks again,

Gail

• 3. Re: Reader can't open PowerPoint attachments

Well to get to the situation better as this problem is happening with your clienti would like to check some settings on your computer if you can provide me a land line number or mobile number i can call you if you dont mind.....

i would like to check the settings of adobe reader on which you open the file.

• 4. Re: Reader can't open PowerPoint attachments
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mr. Flashfixmaster wrote:

if you can provide me a land line number or mobile number i can call you if you dont mind.....

You may want to just work on it here or provide the original poster with private contact info. Asking someone to post their phone number in a public forum is just begging for trouble.

But it's preferred that when helping someone, you help here so it benefits others with potentially the same issues.

• 5. Re: Reader can't open PowerPoint attachments
                  gbergan52 Level 1

WE FOUND THE ANSWER!

Under an obscurely named Preference, we found it. Go to Preferences > Trust Manager > and check "Allow opening of non-PDF file attachments with external applications."

Why Adobe would bury this under something called "Trust Manager," rather than something like "File Attachment Handling," is beyond me. Not very intuitive. But anyway, this did the trick. Thanks for trying to help with this.

Gail

• 6. Re: Reader can't open PowerPoint attachments

Will take care of this thing.

Thank you