24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 5:52 AM by toutmeister

How to capture Mini-DV

toutmeister

With a 30-day trial version of Elements Premiere 9, when I open the Capture dialog box, it does not recognize

my source.  I am connecting my Sony Mini-DV camcorder to the computer with an ilink cable from the camcorder to the

USB input of the laptop.  Should this not show up?  Thanks for any help.

John

• 1. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

You will want to connect to the iLink/FireWire/IEEE-1394a connection on the computer.

If you do not have one, you can add either an IEEE-1394a card to a desktop, or via a PCMCIA, or ExpressCard connector to a laptop.

PrE wants to see a FireWire connection to the computer, and not just to the camera. Few have ever found a FW connector to USB to work - if any.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
            nealeh Level 5

It should show up (there is no trial limitation on capture). Does the camcorder show in the Windows Device Manager?

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

This is the part that worries me:

I am connecting my Sony Mini-DV camcorder to the computer with an ilink cable from the camcorder to the USB input of the laptop.

PrE will not be seeing a FW connection, but a FireWire connection routed to a USB connection. Have you ever known of a FW to USB converter, either a cable, or box, to work, where the computer-side connection is USB?

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree, Hunt. It's not possible to do what he claims to have done.

So it's more likely he's attaching to the computer by a USB connection, which is why he can't capture.

Most camcorders don't come with iLink or FireWire cables. (They do come with USB cables.) FireWire cables must be purchase separately.

• 5. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There are some conversion devices (usually a box with both a FW and USB connection), but most are one-way, and ultimately it will be the connection at the computer, that PrE would want to see. I assumed that such a device was in use to get the FW to USB, but you could be correct - just a USB cable, and FW does not figure into the configuration.

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                    nealeh Level 5

If the device is showing up in Device Manager and Windows has assigned a drive letter to it, then it should be possible to use Windows Explorer to copy the source files to a project directory and import them to PRE from there.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the ability to Capture will be required with a miniDV tape camera, as there are not files, per se, to Copy over. One has the raw digital stream - just 1's and 0's. The Capture is the process that converts the raw data streams into usable files. As PrE will only Capture via iLink/FireWire/IEEE-1394a, that should be what the OP addresses, at least IMHO.

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                        toutmeister Level 1

Bill,

Just got in from some errands and dinner.  Thanks for your input.

Since the mini-DV format is already digital, there is no conversion that

needs to occur.  The capture process should be simply a function of

transferring (capturing) the signal from one vessel to another; like pouring

water from a pitcher into a glass.

My camera has a firewire/i.Link connector as well as an S-video connector,

but the laptop does not.  I don't think I can get the video into the laptop.

I've got the pitcher and water, but no glass.

My conclusion is, what good will Elements Premiere 9 be to me.  None at all,

at least with the laptop that I currently have.  I guess I would have to get

a laptop with an i.Link connector.

John

• 9. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                          toutmeister Level 1

Bill,

Upon further investigation, I find that I had been using a mini-USB-to-USB

cable thinking the mini-USB end was an i.Link connector.  Wrong!

The camcorder does allow you to play the video on a computer using the USB

cable but an appropriate driver must be installed in the computer to "see"

the images.

John

• 10. Re: How to capture Mini-DV

Sorry, Bill, but you can't capture miniDV to Premiere Elements over a FireWire connection.

You really need an IEEE-1394 port to capture and edit digital video.

• 11. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

With the transfer of the digital stream on the miniDV tape, you do not have a digitized FILE, but just a digital stream of data. That is not usable, as it is. What Capture does is to place that digital stream into a usable container.

If your computer does not have a FireWire port, and one cannot be added, then PrE will not be useful to you. You will need to find a way to get that raw digital stream from the tape, into a usable form, i.e. a DV-AVI file.

Can you not add a FireWire port? I mentioned cards for a desktop computer, and also two ways to add that capability to a laptop. Will none of those work for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, Bill, but you can't capture miniDV to Premiere Elements over a FireWire connection. You really need an IEEE-1394 port to capture and edit digital video.

Steve,

I think that you are missing something here. FireWire is either IEEE-1394a (known as FW-400, and what a miniDV camera attaches to), or IEEE-1394b (known as FW-800, and most often used with appropriate external HDD's, or similar peripherals). FW-400 is IEEE-1394a. Now, Sony and the Mac do confuse things a bit, as they refer to FireWire 400/IEEE-1394a a "iLink."

My Toshiba called the IEEE-1394a/FW-400 as iLink, while my Sager calls it FireWire 400 and IEEE-1394. Maybe THIS will clear things up a bit.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                  toutmeister Level 1

Bill,

Thanks so much.  You are certainly more knowledgeable than I on the subject.

I do have a IEEE 1394 plug on my desktop.  I will download the trial EP9 to

the desktop and see if I can capture the mini-DV footage there.  I used to

edit with Premiere 6.0 a number of years ago (that was in the days of

Canopus with which I captured the video), but I've since gotten out of video

and into still photography and de-installed everything from the computer.

I've found a need now to do some minor editing and wanted to give EP9 a try.

What do you think of it?

My plan will further be to abandon the idea of using the laptop.  My

thinking was it would be more convenient and since EP9 was loaded on it, I

thought it was a good option.

By the way, your response to Steve Gresetti is correct, firewire and IEEE

1394 are one and the same.  Firewire is Apple's term for it.

I appreciate all the help you've been.  Here's hoping I will be OK with the

desktop and EP9.

John

• 14. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

If your computer has a FW-400/IEEE-1394a/iLink connector, and you have the appropriate cable, connecting the camera, via that cable, to the correct port on the computer should first get you the "bing-bong," when the camera is turned on, signifying that Windows recognizes it (can be checked in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager), and then, the Capture module in PrE can be launched and it should pick up the camera, allowing Capture.

Note: with some cameras, other users have discovered that the exact order of turning on the camera (correct Mode required), and launching the NLE and then the Capture module, can make a difference. There are about 5 variations on that. One camera required that Premiere be launched, and the Capture module invoked, BEFORE the camera was turned on. In another case, the camera needed to be turned on first, and then Premiere launched and the Capture module invoked. It seems to depend a bit, so you might need to check a couple of orders, and make note of what you camera wants. Unfortunately, there is no one, set order, as it depends on the camera, and on the model.

Good luck, and hope that you will be able to Capture from the camera. If one does not get the Windows' bing-bong, then there is a problem with the camera's connector, the cable used, the computer's connector, or especially with Win7, the driver for the FW port. If it is the latter, and you are on Win7-64, this ARTICLE will give you background and a fix.

Hunt

• 15. Re: How to capture Mini-DV

Whatever you call it, Bill, if the poster doesn't have an IEEE-1394/FireWire/iLink port on his computer, he will not be able to capture editable video from his miniDV camcoder. Premiere Elements can not capture over a USB connection.

• 16. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                        toutmeister Level 1

Bill,

Steve is right on!  As I said in my last email to you, I'm abandoning trying

to get the video on my laptop.

When I last editied with Premiere 6.0 I had a Canopus front panel that

allowed me to connect my source equipment via i.Link.  My desktop has

undergone a few upgrades and during one of them I disconnected the front

panel cables where they plugged into the destination hardware.  I am now

going to go "inside" the computer to see if the connections can be made

again.

I did an install of trial-EP9 from a disc, so that's in the desktop.  Now if

I can make the connections work from the front panel, I'll have i.Link.

We'll see.

John

• 17. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                          Ed.Macke Level 3

Just to add my Sony Handycam experiences...

In addition to everything else you've mentioned, I also need to make sure it's in "Play/Edit" mode, not the "Record" mode that's the default when the camera turns on. If it's in "Record" mode, I believe Windows will recognize it, but it won't capture.

Also, if you try to capture running just on battery power, it won't work (even if there is plenty of battery left). The battery recharger has to be plugged in.

• 18. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For a laptop, a unit like THIS should work just fine. I use similar for my laptop to connect my IEEE-1394b/FW-800 externals. While this is one of the more expensive units, there are many in the US$20 - 30 range. If one does not have an ExpressCard slot, then a PICMCIA, unit like THIS would work too.

Now, if a desktop does not have IEEE-1394, a PCI card is easy to install, and is inexpensive, like THIS one. I've seen similar units on sale for US$8.

Just thinking,

Hunt

• 19. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                              toutmeister Level 1

Bill,

My issues seem to be solved regarding connecting to my computer.  I do have

a IEEE 1394 plug on the computer and my SONY 950 mini-DV has an i.Link

(Sony's term?) connector.  I purchased a cable with matching connectors and,

after a couple of attempts to capture the video, found out I had to download

and install a driver, which I did.  Result: captured the video.

Learning EP9 was/is tough, like all sophisticated software (even though EP9

is relatively simple compared to higher-level editing software).  I have a

trial version and noticed a couple of things happening.  When using

transitions or inserting "black," Adobe sticks a watermark across the

screen.  When outputting to video tape, the watermark travels along.  Am I

stuck with that because it's a trial version?  I also "lost" the beginning

of my program and output stopped before it actually ran its full length.  Is

that also normal because it's a trial version?

All of you on this post have been extremely helpful.  Thanks for your input.

What I'm trying to decide is whether EP9 will give me what I want from an

editing program before I consider buying it.  Thank you all.

John

• 20. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                                nealeh Level 5

toutmeister wrote:

When using

transitions or inserting "black," Adobe sticks a watermark across the

screen.  When outputting to video tape, the watermark travels along.  Am I

stuck with that because it's a trial version?

Yes. And, when you render, the whole of your video will have that watermark. If you purchase a serial number though you can remove the watermark without having to redo your project.

toutmeister wrote:

I also "lost" the beginning

of my program and output stopped before it actually ran its full length.  Is

that also normal because it's a trial version?

No, that shouldn't be happening. You should work through these basics to see if they resolve your problem.

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                                                • Install PRE9 v9.0.1 update.
                                                • Delete BadDrivers.txt (in Windows 7 this is likely at C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt)
                                                • Run Disk Cleanup.
                                                • Run Defragmenter.
                                                • Reboot your PC.
                                                • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clips and hardware:

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                                  toutmeister Level 1

Neale,

Further, when I open Quicktime from the desktop I get a box that says

"Please install Apple Application Support."  When I go to Apple's site to

download it, what do I download from the number of options and how do I know

it's for my Windows XP system?

John

• 22. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                                    toutmeister Level 1

Neale,

Here's most of the information your inquired of me:

COMPUTER (custom built)

CPU    Intel Premium 4 630, 4 CPU 3.00GHz, Cores-1

MAINBOARD    Intel Md#D945GNT

MEMORY    DDR2    Channels: dual    Size: 3072MB

GRAPHICS    ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series    Memory: Size-1025MB

OPERATING SYSTEM    Windows X

HARD DRIVES    4 (7200RPM), 2 -500GB, 1-75GB, 1-150GB

Here are additional questions you asked:

What project preset did you use?    I don't recall and now, can't open EP9

as I will explain later.

Where did the clip come from?   I shot the footage on a Sony TRV950

camcorder (mini-DV)

How did you get it into PRE?    Captured it into computer/EP9 from camcorder

via i.Link/IEEE 1394

cable.

I began to work through the steps you suggested and when installing the

latest version of quicktime, everything came to a STOP.  I THINK I was

successful in downloading the latest version, 7.6.9, but when opening EP9

(and Photoshop CS5 with which I do my still photography enhancements) I get

messages that say it was installed incorrectly... or that I should update

Quicktime.  Any correction I try to make leads back to some problem

associated with Quicktime.  I'm completely befuddled at this point.

I can't open EP9.  I can't open still photos in Photoshop CS5.  I can't

uninstall Quicktime.  ...is a puzzlement.  I've restored my computer back

three weeks without any luck (maybe I didn't go back far enough).

John

• 23. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                                      nealeh Level 5

The correct version is 7.6.9 at 28th January 2011. Click the picture to go there. After download, try this: Right-click the downloaded file, select Run As... and then select Administrator.

1.png

You  mention having parts of CS5 installed. Before running the QuickTime installer make sure that all CS5 components, including memory resident components and services, are exited or stopped.

Cheers,
                                                      --
                                                      Neale

• 24. Re: How to capture Mini-DV
                                                        toutmeister Level 1

I get this far:

A box marked QUICKTIME comes up with this ...

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is

unavailable.

Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the

installation package 'Quick Time.msi' in the box below.

USE SOURCE;

(here's where it gives C:/Documents etc.....)   Browse

When I click OK, it tells me it can't find QuickTime.msi and to find a

folder where this is contained.  I browse and change the source, nothing.  I

asked for a search of my computer for 'QuickTime.msi' and it searched for

2&1/2 hours and never came up with it.

Also, I can't seem to find "administrator" to click on.  Where is it?

Thanks for your attempts to help, Neale.

John