8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 7:27 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip

ebeard85

I have Premiere Elements 9. I've uploaded clips and backgrounds, and been successful in making nice movies using the videomerge function.

A problem I've run into:

1) I got a photo from Istockphoto and resized it to the exact dimension of the video I was importing.

2) Imported a video I shot in front of a green screen with a Kodak ZI8.

3) Imported photo for background into the Video 1 track.

4) Imported video into Video/Audio 2 track and said yes when asked if I wanted to use videomerge.

5) Noticed that the top corners of the video track had dark speckling (probably due to insufficient lighting on the green screen).

6) I went to Effects/Transform and selected Cropping. I cropped the right and left margins of the video to hide the speckling.

Last thing I did was move the video against the background so that the subject was properly positioned. I played the preview and everything looked good.

When I rendered it, though, using the standard presets "For viewing on a computer", the finished FLV had the subject (a person) floating in the middle of the frame. In the preview prior to rendering, the subject was positioned flush with the bottom as intended.

This must have been something related to the cropping, as I've done this exact same thing without cropping and the videos have rendered properly.

What might I have done wrong?

• 1. Re: Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Instead of Cropping, explore the Garbage Matte on your greenscreen footage, to eliminate the areas with the poor lighting. How does that work?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - lighting is one of the big factors regarding greenscreen work.

• 2. Re: Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip
            ebeard85 Level 1

I'm not having much luck with the garbage matte. I wonder why the cropping won't work? That seems to be the cleanest way of removing those bad corners.

• 3. Re: Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With the Crop Effect, you are telling the program to alter the Frame Size, but place it within the Frame Size of the Project. This is a bit different, depending on how, and where you use it.

What is happening with the Garbage Matte?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip
                ebeard85 Level 1

Re what is happening with garbage matte - I pull the video with the green screen into the timeline, and when prompted tell it not to apply videomerge.

I then use the four corner tool to select the subject and some of the green background around it (this is a talking head video of me only in front of the green background).

I then go to the green screen key editing tool and use the cutoff and threshhold sliders to try and make the green transparent, but I just can't get it there. When I get the green transparent, it puts spots and speckles on my face and shirt. When I apply the videomerge, this doesn't happen.

So I don't know what to do next.

• 5. Re: Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I think that the issue is in the use of the Garbage Matte. You will still use the Video Merge (have to admit that I use Ultra, or Keylight in other programs than PrE, so might be off here), but will want to use the Garbage Matte on that footage, to eliminate the poorly lit areas.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip
                    ebeard85 Level 1

I guess I can't figure how to use garbage matte correctly. When I drag the four pointer onto the video track, it covers most of the area and when I drag it in to cover the corners where the stuff is I want to remove, it makes everything outside that four point frame transparent. It seems to work opposite of what I want.

• 7. Re: Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip
                      ebeard85 Level 1

OK, I've figured at least now what the garbage matte is doing. I put the subject and some of the surrounding green background inside the four points, then apply the green screen effects. That much I know.

Where the problem is now is in the green screen effects. I don't care how much or little I adjust those sliders, just when I get the green background around the subject to disappear, it shows blotches on my face. I can't find any combination of slider adjustments to make it look right. However, when I use the automatic videomerge, the subject and surrounding area looks great - it's just those corners where the trash is that make that option undesireable.

• 8. Re: Problem With Videomerge After Cropping a Clip
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you found out where to place the Garbage Matte. Sorry that Video Merge is then getting your face too. I am surprised that the sensitivity of the Video Merge is being affected by the Garbage Matte. I wonder if the Green Screen Key Effect would yield better results?

Good luck,

Hunt