4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 1:17 AM by PRE_help

PE9 Post install video streaming problems

witchking1972

After the install of PE9 (and PSE9) video streaming from my PC to my XBox stopped.

After a good bit of hunting the following entry was found in the event log whenever streaming failed :-

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer\CAHeadless\mc_demux_mp2_ds.ax

Looks like PE9 is substituting some of it's own codecs in for media playback which are not compatible with the Microsoft media sharing service.

I removed Elements 9 and all functionality returned.

Anyone got any ideas how to prevent PE9 from doing this but still installing ok?

Tony

• 1. Re: PE9 Post install video streaming problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

I have not read of this issue before. I doubt that it is a CODEC issue, as PrE only installs the MainConcept CODEC's, and then uses a non-standard naming convention to basically hide those from other programs, that overwrite existing CODEC's, with their own version. In THAT aspect, PrE is quite benign.

However, it does seem that some affiliation has been set to PrE, and is getting in the way. The PrE Headless is basically a sub-set of the PrE code, and is invoked where the full program does not need to be launched. It allows another program, like perhaps PSE, to access necessary parts of PrE, without needing to launch the full program.

Are you streaming WMV files to the X-Box, or some other format?

The reason that I am asking is that it could be that upon installation, PrE has identified itself as the program to launch with certain file types. Though it usually plays nice with almost any other program (the reverse is unfortunately not true), and seldom seizes file type associations, with very few exceptions, it could be that in your case a file type affiliation has been changed. These can be manually reset from Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types, and then the controls in the dialog box. If you do have just a few particular file types giving you the error (nice detective work, BTW), changing those affiliations back should fix things. That would where I would start.

Others might have some other thoughts, or observations, that will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Just re-read the error, and it's Organizer's Headless module, that is faulting. Organizer is a module, that does cataloging and file management. There are some automatic functions, that can be turned off. As I do not use that module, I am not current on the ins and outs, and what aspect of it might be getting in the way. Others do know Organizer, and can likely help. In the meantime, there are a couple of FAQ entries accessed to the right of the main forum page, that address Organizer, and some potential issues with it. Sorry about just skipping over the Organizer part.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 2. Re: PE9 Post install video streaming problems
            witchking1972 Level 1

Thanks for the in-depth reply.

There's nothing in the FAQ's which could help with my issue unfortunatley.

I've since re-installed PrE9 and the streaming stops, then removed it again and the streaming works!

It does seem to be something that PrE9 is adding to the Organiser as it's still there as part of the PE9 install when all is working OK.

I don;t use the organiser at all (cough Picassa cough) so is it possible to remove just this Program and leave the PE9 and PrE9 editors in place?

Cheers

Tony

• 3. Re: PE9 Post install video streaming problems
              nealeh Level 5

Try ending "PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe" in Task Manager, and disabling "Adobe Active File Monitor V9" in services.msc

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: PE9 Post install video streaming problems
                PRE_help Adobe Employee

To get streaming with Premiere Elements installed, please do the following:

1. Install Premiere Elements 9

2. Before you want to start streaming, run UnRegister.bat (from the attached zip file

3. If you want to playback in Organizer (which ideally should work even without this step), run Register.bat from the attached zip file

IMPORTANT: When running these batch files, it is important that you run as an administrator. For this, right click on the batch file and choose "Run as Administrator" option.

These batch files unregister and register the mpeg2 muxer as required manually. The registration process is done by the installer by default. So this is a solution that is recommended only for this user and need not be done for the others if they do not encounter the SAME issue.

Do let us know if this works for you.