3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 11:55 AM by Thom Parker

Linking AcroDialogs and stamps

amdibari Level 1

I am very new to all of this scripting in an Adobe environment (or any environment really).

I am trying to create a dynamic stamp to be used by my company when reviewing submittals from contractors.  I need to be able to have (3) text fields that are filled out via user input at the time of placing the stamp, and there is also a list of (6) check boxes that could potentially be checked off, again based upon user input at the time of placing the stamp on the document.

I have downloaded AcroDialogs, and built a wizard that appears to accomplish my goal when using the test button.  The area where I am getting confused is how to link this AcroDialogs script to my stamp, and how to define which answer from the user populates which field on the stamp.

Can anyone provide me with some information (or links to information) on this process?  It seems like this is a common request from folks in the engineering and architectural worlds, but I can't seem to find an easy way to accomplish it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron

• 1. Re: Linking AcroDialogs and stamps
          Thom Parker Level 3

Have you read this article?  Dynamic Stamp Secrets

It covers hooking a regular response box into a dynamic stamp.  Hooking up the custom dialog is a small variation.  Look towards the bottom of the script generated by AcroDialogs.  There's a "Sample Code" section that shows how the dialog is used and how the input values are both set and retrieved accessed.

BTW: if you are new to scripting, don't use a dialog wizard.  Use a single dialog. It will be much easier to program.

Thom Parker
          The source for PDF Scripting Info
          pdfscripting.com

The Acrobat JavaScript Reference, Use it Early and Often
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/javascript.html

Then most important JavaScript Development tool in Acrobat
          The Console Window (Video tutorial)
          The Console Window(article)

• 2. Re: Linking AcroDialogs and stamps
            amdibari Level 1

Thank you for replying.

I have read the document that you linked to.  Unfortunately, that is a very basic dynamic stamp, with only one field that accepts user input.  I can make that work fine (the single field with user supplied data), but I cannot get the multiple fields to work.  And then, beyond that, I cannot figure out how to integrate the check box feature into the stamp.

If I have things built in AcroDiaglogs, and it tests fine, how would I go about linking that to a stamp file, and specifiying which data populates which field?  Is there a document, or a reference site that goes into that level of detail?

I really need to find a way to make this work, but I feel like I'm running in circles.  The closest that I have come to success is creating the (3) text fields that should take user supplied data, however, when using the stamp it only prompts for one of the items that it needs from the user, and then supplies that data to only one field on the stamp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

• 3. Re: Linking AcroDialogs and stamps
              Thom Parker Level 3

There are no Official Adobe Help documents or articles on this issue beyond what's documented in the Acrobat JavaScript reference.  But if you search on "Custom Dialogs" and "AcroDialogs" at the www.acrobatusers.com web site you'll fine some posts that are relevant.

There is very detailed documentation on stamps and stamp samples that use custom dialogs at www.pdfscripting.com.  But this info is only available to full members.

Form fields on stamps are set in exactly the same way form fields on regular AcroForm PDFs are set.  So the first thing you have to know how to do is to use JavaScript to set the field values on a form.  The next thing you need to know how to do is to extract the entered data from a custom dialog.  Once you can combine these two things you are ready to put them on a stamp.  Remember, there is no difference between setting a field on a stamp an setting a field on a regular form.  So start out by getting this to work on a regular form.

Thom Parker
              The source for PDF Scripting Info
              pdfscripting.com

The Acrobat JavaScript Reference, Use it Early and Often
              http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/javascript.html

Then most important JavaScript Development tool in Acrobat
              The Console Window (Video tutorial)
              The Console Window(article)

1 person found this helpful