9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 3:39 PM by firetrak

PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder

firetrak Level 1

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked and sorta answered numerous times, but none of the answers seem to help.

These are my specs.

Windows 7 Ult. 64 bit

Intel Quad-Core 2.67ghz Extreme

8 Gb mem

1 x 140gb Raptor Drive (10,000rpm) for the OS and install of Premiere Pro CS5 5.0.3

1x  250gb 7200rpm cache drive for all the scratch/render/preview files to use

1 x 1.5gb 7200rpm 64mb cache Drive for all content to reside on

1 x 7tb NAS for all final file to be exported to. (16 500gb drives raided)

So as you see I think my system more than meets the minimum specs.

If i just export one say 8min clip into the AME at a time then its fine, although PProHeadless.exe still uses 2.5 gbs

But if i want to and NEED to export say 8-10 15min plus files then it crashes.

The specs for the files are mpeg-2

Quality 5

NTSC

1440x1080

FPS 30

Progressive

16.9 (1.333)

Main Profile

Lvl High

CBR 30mbps

Audio Mpeg-1 layer 2

Stereo

48khz

#84 kbps

Each file have one title on it and a few edits through out, either cut straight cuts, dip to black or cross fade and nothing more.

But all it seems to want to do in the last 3 weeks is crash when i export.

Hopefully someone knows what i am doing wrong or what i can do to fix this.

Thanks

• 1. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Headless is basically a sub-set of the code for several Adobe programs. They allow another program to function with material from a Project, without having to have the full program open. This works for ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), and also with AME (Adobe Media Encoder).

As a test, open, and minimize PrPro, and try again. Do you get the Export, without the error?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
            firetrak Level 1

You mean just minimize to the taskbar? Or close premiere pro, i'm just wondering what minimizing would do. I've tried closing it and then starting the encode in AME but that hasn't worked.

Thanks Bill

• 3. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, minimize PrPro to the taskbar. What this test is about is that AME needs to access the Sequence to do the Export. It can normally do it with the Headless code sub-set, but in your case, that is not working. By having the full PrPro program open, AME should not have to access the Sequence through the Headless code.

This will not address WHY PrPro Headless is not working correctly, but will tell you if everything else is working, and will likely also get your Export.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
                firetrak Level 1

Thanks Bill, I minimized and it crashed whn numerous jobs where sent to the queue.

• 5. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
                  firetrak Level 1

Hi Bill

I change my mpeg2 profile to 422 and that seems to have fixed it, previously it was on high. So far its rendering without issue, i'm sure by saying that i've just jinxed my queue.

I read up on 422 and it seems to compress better than high profile. Although i'm not entirely sure of the exact benefits, something to do with chrominance.

• 6. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I always hate to say that things are working, and for just the same reason.

Fingers are X'ed for you in AZ, USA.

Let us know if things work,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      It can normally do it with the Headless code sub-set, but in your case, that is not working. By having the full PrPro program open, AME should not have to access the Sequence through the Headless code.

I don't think we have any choice in the matter.  I believe AME will open a headless version of PP for any and all exports, even if PP is already open.  This is what allows us to keep working while the export happens in the background.

The only way to bypass the the Headless version is to not use AME.  Do a direct export from Premiere Pro.  (But then you're stuck waiting until the export is finished before you can do anything else.)

• 8. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You could be correct there. Since AME moved to a stand-alone app, for the reason that you state, I could well see that AME would use the Headless, regardless of whether the program was open, so that one COULD continue editing in PrPro. When ADL was first introduced for say linking between En and PrPro, the Headless  sub-set was not called, if the two programs were open, but that was different than with AME. Good points, and something that I need to consider, and alter my suggestions to suit. What once worked with the earliest ADL issues, probably is now moot with AME.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Hunt

• 9. Re: PProHeadless.exe crashes encoder
                          firetrak Level 1

Thanks guys.

Well that queue didn't crash, but personally i found the 422 profile below par in terms of quality, picture looked fuzzy after expansion.

I'm wondering if its simply a case of my project being too big, the one is question contains around 14 hours of footage and premiere pro uses about 1.2gbs just to open the project.

I'll try play with making it smaller.