18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 1:52 PM by {KMS}

How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?

Alan McInnes

I encoded a 6 minute sequence of 1080p  29.97 fps video to a 640x360 mp4 file and I get frame stutter as if I had encoded it to 5 fps.  I've been able to determine that the music track is the culprit, but I can't figure out why.  I am able to encode the video and its audio track without problems but as soon as I add the music track, it outputs the stutter file.

I have a stereo wave 48 Khz - 16 bit stereo music file that runs for the full 6 minutes.  I also tried using the same music as an AIFF file with the same results.  I've never had problems using wave files before of even greater length.

What am I missing?

• 1. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update ( http://bit.ly/hfwZHx )? The recent updates fix a lot of problems.

What operating system? Tell us about your computer hardware.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
            Alan McInnes Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had version 5.0.2 and I've just updated to 5.0.3.   I re-encoded the segment and got the same results; I'm getting a stutter in the video that looks like 5 fps.  The audio is fine.

The computer is a Mac Pro Tower - 2 x 3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 8 Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM ram and Snow Leopard

I've just re-encoded again using a different wave audio file and this time it worked fine; no stutter!  Obviously, there is something wrong with the original audio file in both wave and AIFF formats.  Interestingly enough, I generated the file with Sonicfire Pro 5 and exported it as a 48K 16 bit wave file.  I have used this program before without any problems and therefore can't imagine what is happening now that is causing the problem.  Both the wave and AIFF files play just fine so there must be something in their file structure that PPr CS5 doesn't like.

I guess I'll have to enquire with the folks at Sonicfire Pro as to what might be happening with their software.

Alan McInnes

Web and AV Services

• 3. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Do contact SmartSound. Their support is excellent in all of my experiences.

I use Sonicfire Pro 5 often, but being on a PC, am doing Export to DV-AVI, and have never had any issue with the Sonicfire Pro 5 (or 4) PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit files.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I'm still anxiously awaiting the Sonicfire Pro 5 plug-in for PrPro, like they have for FCP. Now THAT would be wonderful. I keep pestering SmartSound, but all they can tell me is "soon, if all goes well."

• 4. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                Alan McInnes Level 1

Thanks, Bill.

I've posted the issue to their support forum and also noticed that others have had problems in the Snow Leopard OS environment.  I learned that Sonicfire Pro 5 had a software upgrade which I've downloaded and installed. I exported the Wave file again and added it to the sequence.  I re-encoded the sequence and unfortunately, I'm still getting the stutter problem. It is most bizarre as I am not having any problems with other wave files, only those that are exported from Sonicfire Pro 5.

Alan

• 5. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Alan,

As a possible workaround, try exporting the WAV from either Premiere, Soundbooth, or another audio editing application, like Audacity, back to a WAV with the same parameters as the original. There might be something weird/broken in the header of the file causing the issue. Exporting to the same format should not change the audio quality in anyway, but will essentially repackage the audio into a new container.

• 6. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                    Alan McInnes Level 1

Funny you should mention that.  I'm old enough to believe there is an analogue solution to every digital problem so I played the file on my Mac and recorded it in Audacity on my PC notebook.  I then exported the file from Audacity as a Wave file and moved it back to the Mac for the Premiere Pro sequence.  I then re-encoded the sequence and voila!; it still stutters!  I'm not sure where to go from here as other wave files work in PPr, just not this one.

• 7. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Wow! That's crazy business, right there! In light of that, there is no way the file can be at fault.

What this is all pointing at is that there is something borked in the project or sequence itself. Try creating a new project and importing your old project into that; this will rewrite the XML from the project file into the new one, and hopefully, right any wrongs. If that doesn't work, create a new project, and copy and paste JUST the video from the old project/sequence into the new one; then, import the audio independently and edit it into your sequence.

If none of this works, it's clear that you're cursed and you should just give up

• 8. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                        Alan McInnes Level 1

Yes, this is strange stuff indeed.  Thanks for the suggestions, that was going to be my next path; rebuild from the ground up.  I basically did that within the same project, but with a new sequence yesterday as I added each component, I encoded it to see which one might be contributing to the stutter.  Of course, the music bed was the last to be added so I went through six iterations to nail the culprit.  It is still amazing to me after all these years how much time one can spend trouble shooting a software issue.

• 9. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Would you mind filing a bug report about this?

If you do, then one of our engineers may get back to you and ask for a sample file that causes the bad behavior.

• 10. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                            Alan McInnes Level 1

I just attempted to file a report and ran into the dreaded "2000 character limit".  I'll try again with more judicious editing.

• 11. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                              {KMS} Level 2

Alan,

Did you encode it as VBR or CBR?  I have had stutter occur on some previous projects using VBR and when I switched it to CBR everything was smooth.  I'm not sure what the culbrit was, but I am fine with using CBR.

Kevin

• 12. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                                Alan McInnes Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, Kevin. I've always used VBR, but I'll try CBR.

• 13. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                                  BillyBRoll Level 1

I have the same issue but the stutter is on still and happens regardless of the encode. My project looks good in all aspects except the stills. I am wondering if it is an OSX problem now that I hear some of this discussion. But, I am also thinking maybe it is with the stills being 2808x1872 when Pr only will do 1920x 1080. I fixed the size in PS to be exactly 1920x1080 and still the same stutter problem. Could it be the graphics card?? I would hope not since I spent some cash on a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac just to run an Adobe approved card and get some of the benefits of the MPE. I wish I could fix this!

• 14. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                                    {KMS} Level 2

Billy,

I can confirm that PPRO will handle much larger images than the dimensions you gave.  I would try to render your sequence without hardware acceleration to see if it is the card.  I had a GTS 250 and large images would stutter...with my new card (GTX 460) large images render smooth.

Kevin

• 15. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                                      BillyBRoll Level 1

I will try to render without GPU to see if that helps. But, I would think that the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 that I have is able to handle the job. It is supposed to be a really good card for rendering and right now the only card with CUDA that will work with Mac with a 27" display.

If it is not the GPU. What could it be? I have motion on the stills. Just simple pans and zooms.

• 16. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                                        BillyBRoll Level 1

That does not make a difference. Exporting to H.264 may not be where the problem is. Typically, the exported files show the flicker really bad, but if you look close in Premiere, even though it appears to be running smooth. It is not. I have tried. De-interlacing, Anti-flicker in effect controls, Flicker Removal in Field Options. I have used different size pictures. I have tried to render with the GPU off in Pr. Nothing works. Is anyone out there doing stills in a video project and not getting this annoying result. If you are please let me know. My project looks beautiful in all aspects, but the flicker on the still Jpeg images with movement in position and scale looks like I edited it on a piece of software that cost $19.95

Thanks

• 17. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I have just started noticing this in animated images, as well. I believe the cause to be the latest version of the nVidia drivers. I have a GeForce GTX480, so I'm using a different driver package than you are, but what version of the drivers are you using?

By the way, hardware MPE doesn't seem to be the cause--at least, not directly. As you found, you can go to software mode and see the same.

• 18. Re: How to fix frame stutter when encoding H.264 ?
                                            {KMS} Level 2

Billy,

I have successfully exported projects that use images around 4000 pixels along the long edge of the image without any flicker or stutter.  Is it possible to post a few of the images that you are using to recreate the problem?  I would be happy to give it a go for you.

Kevin