36 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 7:48 PM by Jeff Bellune

Problems Exporting

BillyBRoll Level 1

I have tried to export in some different formats with nothing but problems. I export to h264 with a preset of Vimeo HD to put on vimeo and it gives an unknown error message or when I go to play a "successful" download it cuts off the last minute of the video. I thought exporting would be easy. Just now went to do a export to MPEG2-DVD so I can burn my finished project to DVD and It gives me the same old Error compiling movie unknown error message. What am I doing wrong??? Spent time on the phone with Adobe and they were of no help. They had me doing all kinds of things and still this is where I am at. I spent almost the whole day dealing with this and I am now missing deadlines because I cannot figure out what to do. I am tempted to give up on Premeire, but I have too much invested in it at this point.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Problems Exporting
          BillyBRoll Level 1

Harm,

Thank you for your reply. But, I have been down that road. I have also looked at my Lynda.com tutorial and my Premiere Learn by Video DVD and the Classroom In A Book. It appears that I know how to export. The problem is the error message that comes up everytime I try to export to just about anything.

• 3. Re: Problems Exporting
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of Premiere Pro? I.e., have you installed the recent updates? What operating system? What kind(s) of source footage? What is the exact text of the error message? Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware.

• 4. Re: Problems Exporting
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Another question: do you have any gaps in your Video, even a 1-Frame gap?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problems Exporting
                BillyBRoll Level 1

>What version of Premiere Pro? I.e., have you installed the recent updates?

>What operating system?

OSX 10.6.6

>What kind(s) of source footage?

Canon 7D HDSLR MPEG Movie. 1920X1080 Pixel Depth 32 Pixel Aspect Ratio 1.0. Still images Jpeg Files. Image Size 2808x1872. Pixel Depth 24 Pixel Aspect Ratio 1.0

>What is the exact text of the error message?

Error Compiling Video Unknown Error

>Has this ever worked before?

It sometimes works when exporting to the default Quicktime format and preset but with nothing else.

>What other software are you running?

At the time of export only Bridge and nothing else. As far as what other software is on the computer, I have the standard stuff on a Mac with iLife 11, Quicktime, iTunes, etc. I have Logic Studio Installed, Toast, ElGato Video Capture, Plural Eyes for Premiere and Microsoft Office for Mac.

>Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed?

Not that I am aware of

>Tell us about your computer hardware.

Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core (8 core) Intel Xeon

2.4Ghz

16GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac Graphics Card

OS on 600GB WD Raptor Drive 10,000 rpm

VIdeo and Audio Assets on three WD 1TB Hard Drives 7200 rpm set at RAID 5

• 6. Re: Problems Exporting
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here's a document that has some suggestions for what to do when you get that error:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332331.html

Let us know whether that helps.

• 7. Re: Problems Exporting
                    BillyBRoll Level 1

Hi Todd,

I read that before I posted here. I have been able to export to the default Quicktime and now to DVD (Mpeg 2) But, h264 is giving me the most problems especially when I choose preset to Vimeo HD or SD. I thought we could use any of these options??? My sequence is pretty straight forward .mov clips from Canon 7D. Jpeg Still images (look at sizes in previous post and see if they might cause a problem). The only effects are about 4 cross disolves and motion on the stills (zoom and pan). I did add anti flicker and deinterlace to help the flicker. Also, some auto effects on audio, but I took them all off at one point to see if it would render and it did not.

• 8. Re: Problems Exporting
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More reading...

For ALL versions Long File Names or odd characters Cause problems http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273
                      And #4 Here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558?tstart=0
                      And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641?tstart=0

• 9. Re: Problems Exporting
                        BillyBRoll Level 1

I think I am close to being done with Premiere now. I cannot export to h264. Exports are sporadic. I have tightened up my timeline again and again to make it as basic as possible. I have read all the explanations from Adobe. Talked with Adobe on the phone for a total of 3 hours. Been here on the forum and nothing works. The one thing about Adobe I like is the ability to import native files, but the export process does not seem to like that very much. When I talk with Apple on the phone I get some one that speaks English and works with me until the problem is solved. Adobe support is of no use what so ever. The only saving grace have been you here on the forum. But, when I export time and time again with the same error message and no resolve Final Cut looks better every time.

• 10. Re: Problems Exporting
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Are you using H.264 as the Format, or Quicktime as the Format with H.264 as the codec?  Try whichever one you're not using.

For the Vimeo presets, are you altering *anything* from the default preset settings?  If so, which parameters are you changing and to what are you changing them?

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Problems Exporting
                            BillyBRoll Level 1

For right now I am sitting here probably exporting for the 50th time after changing all kinds of things in my time line. I am exporting to H.264 as the format. Preset is Vimeo HD with the defaulted Basic Settings as Multiplexing:Mp4 and Stream Compatability: Standard. I have tried Format: Quicktime with H.264 as the preset. The only thing that works is the standard default Quicktime Format or sometimes a MPeg-2 for DVD. Other than that, nothing else works. Sometimes the export likes to play with me a bit and succeeds in the export but then when I go to open the file it only plays part of the video and cuts off at the end. Sorry to sound so negative, but I cannot work like this. I need a system that works.

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Problems Exporting
                              lbsimpson Level 1

Just be thankful you aren't wasting your time with Avid if you find Premiere exporting challenging!  I've experienced similar problems intermittently with Final Cut too, just FYI, but was always able to overcome eventually.

Just a thought, I'm sure you've tried this...but a simple computer restart often seems to help.

• 13. Re: Problems Exporting

No need to apologize.  We all need a system that works.

I know you've exported more times than Trader Joe, but can you export a single clip, from the bin, to H.264?  If successfully exported, will it play in a player to completion?

If not, some resetting and housekeeping may be in order.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Problems Exporting
                                  BillyBRoll Level 1

Yes. I have tried shutting down the computer on several occasions. Still the same situation. I know I am getting fustrated, but why should this be so difficult? Killer software, killer machine. Seem to be doing everything right. Nothing works. The only reason that Final Cut is seductive right now is after spending 3 hours on the phone with useless Adobe technical support has me wondering if it is worth it. I had some trouble with Logic Studio, talked with someone in Texas who got me through the problem in 20 minutes. By the way, still trying to export my sequence. It just seems to hate H.264

• 15. Re: Problems Exporting
                                    BillyBRoll Level 1

Jeff,

I am trying that now. I did that last night with Adobe Tech Support. But, let me try again. I am going to open a new sequence, put one video track with one still photo and try Format: H.264 Preset: Vimeo HD. It is rendering as we speak. I will let you know if it works.

Thanks.

• 16. Re: Problems Exporting
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you post a screenshot of your export settings, we might be able to spot something that is causing a problem.

I've recently seen a bug in VBR encoding that causes the error message that you got. If you're using VBR 2-pass, try VBR 1-pass; if you're using VBR 1-pass, then try CBR.

• 17. Re: Problems Exporting
                                        BillyBRoll Level 1

Okay Jeff. That worked. Now, if housekeeping is needed. What could be the problem??

• 18. Re: Problems Exporting
                                          BillyBRoll Level 1

Todd,

I will try that now. Thanks

• 19. Re: Problems Exporting
                                            BillyBRoll Level 1

Todd,

CBR does not work.

• 20. Re: Problems Exporting
                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

OK, so it's not that specific bug.

• 21. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                BillyBRoll Level 1

I guess I can only export to  Quicktime and that is it.

• 22. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                  BillyBRoll Level 1

Jeff,

One video with one still, no effects works in H.264 and plays til the end. What might be the problem?

• 23. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                    wonderspark Level 1

I definitely feel your pain. We have very similar systems, as you know from previous discussions, and I've had a hard time with h.264 as well.

In my case, I was exporting a feature-length movie shot on P2 MXF DVDProHD, and found that I could only use h.264 if I broke the export into segments around ten minutes long. This was fine for me because my final output was Blu-ray, which I joined in Encore with no problems. I realize that this isn't the same situation you face, but thought it would help you to know that in the end, I chose to export to MPEG Blu-ray, and it had no problems exporting the entire 105 minute movie in one file. I mention this thinking perhaps you can export in a format other than h.264 at first, and then re-try the h.264 encode with that single, unaltered clip. An intermediate clip, if you will.

If I can help somehow, I'll give it a shot.

• 24. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                      BillyBRoll Level 1

Wonderspark,

How goes it. Not doing to well here. Premiere likes to mess with me a lot. Just now as I write, Premiere will not play anyting in the timeline at all. I close it and reopen and even choose a different project. It somehow has decided no play for me. I know that the fix is to shut down the computer and start Premiere again. But, really enough already. I have a brand new computer with meeting all of the specs Adobe wants to run this software. I have nothing out of the ordinary installed on this computer. Final Cut is looking better every minute. I have done some work in FC and never experienced this tempermental crap of Premiere. My experience so far is that it is a very unstable piece of software.

• 25. Re: Problems Exporting

BillyBRoll wrote:

Jeff,

One video with one still, no effects works in H.264 and plays til the end. What might be the problem?

Try wonderspark's idea: export a segment of your problem sequence that's just a little under 10 minutes long, and then try one that's a little longer than 10 minutes.

If the shorter one exports and the longer one doesn't, then I can think of 2 possibilities.  One is that your system is doing something periodically in the background that affects Premiere's ability to have access to the data or to needed resources.  The other is that H.264 encoding, which is very CPU-intensive, may be overheating or otherwise adversely affecting your system, causing OSX to interrupt whatever's going on so that the whole system doesn't get taken down.

-Jeff

• 26. Re: Problems Exporting

That sounds like problems are deeper than just timeline length.

Try launching Pr and holding down the Shift+Alt(Cmd?) keys.  The Shift key clears the plug-in cache, and Alt(Cmd?) resets your preferences.  That's the housekeeping I mentioned earlier.  You should probably also go to Edit | Preferences | Media and clear the Media Cache Database.

-Jeff

• 27. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                            BillyBRoll Level 1

Do you think there is any way that the audio device I am using is mucking with Premiere? I am using an M-Audio Firewire 410 and to add to the agrivation, they have not developed a driver that works well with OSX 10.6.6. It will go off line frequently during production. If I jog the bit rates back and forth, it will go online again which says to me that it is a bad driver. I am just wondering while I am having this problem if Premiere is having seizures in response. As of now, video editing is not fun, it is a chore of rendering multiple times to see if anything works. For those that have been at this longer than I, you know what this is like, but I am not used to being repeatedly stopped in the process of trying to do my work.

• 28. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                              wonderspark Level 1

I realize it's tempting to ditch Adobe, but I really feel they make a better product at the present. You'll work this out, I'm sure of that. The time and patience required to figure out this issue will be much less than switching to Final Cut and redoing everything, right?

Did you try the intermediate export, or smaller h.264 segment exports?

• 29. Re: Problems Exporting

Do you have another sound card or on-board audio you can use to temporarily replace the M-Audio?  If so, disable/unplug the M-Audio and then make sure to change your Audio Hardware preferences in Pr and try to play/edit/export again.  Shorter test segments for the moment, please.  It'll help keep you from increasing your blood pressure as well as your gray hair count.

-Jeff

• 30. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                                  wonderspark Level 1

I'd definitely try disconnecting the M-Audio. Also try the suggestion I hear most often when things are really getting crazy... repair permissions in OSX.

• 31. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                                    BillyBRoll Level 1

Thanks Jeff, you guys are keeping me sane while trying to meet a deadline for Friday.

Wonderspark,

I have heard of repairing permissions. How do I do that exactly. I want to make sure. I do not need any more upsets at this point.

Yes, you are correct, I do not want to ditch Premiere yet, but the customer service was so poor and when I talk with Apple it is so refreshing to talk with people who know rather than reading from tech sheets and scripts. But, I do believe Pr has so much to offer and I spent a lot of cash on building a system around this platform.

By the way thanks for all of your help earlier in getting this beast up and running. Other than the Pr problems, the system is stellar!!

• 32. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                                      BillyBRoll Level 1

Oh my God. I can't believe it. I did the cleaning of the cache and also the shift/alt command while opening of Pr and I was able to export in H.264 in Vimeo HD. I would have never known that. Can you believe 3 hours on the phone with Adobe and never once was that mentioned. You guys Rock!!

• 33. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                                        BillyBRoll Level 1

Now, if I could just get my stills to stop stuttering when movement is applied, I would be golden!!

• 34. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                                          wonderspark Level 1

I got OnyX, free if I recall, direct from Apple's site. Google "onyx mac" and go to Apple's download. Install, etc. It will ask for administrator password.

It will run a couple checks at first, then go to Maintenance or Cleaning, I forget which and look for "repair permissions." Click "apply" or "execute" at the bottom. It takes a couple minutes.

The only negative issue I've had with OnyX is that after running it, I have to re-enter the activation key for Microsoft Office for Mac:2011. That's annoying, but repairing permissions solved some crazy problem I had once. I believe in it.

• 35. Re: Problems Exporting
                                                                            wonderspark Level 1

"I did the cleaning of the cache and also the shift/alt command while  opening of Pr and I was able to export in H.264 in Vimeo HD."

AWESOME. I'm very happy that worked. I never knew that trick, either! Good times!

• 36. Re: Problems Exporting

Glad it worked for you.

-Jeff