7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 1:51 PM by Steve Grisetti

graphics card for old box

Owl Boy

Hello All-

My playback in PE9 is very choppy, with a lot of frames being dropped, especially after effects (green screen). Even after rendering it has a stutter.

I know that I need a computer with more processing power to get the most out of PE9, but my pocketbook doesn't allow me to spring for that right now. I am wondering what power supply/graphics card combo I could get for right around $100-$120 total that would improve my playback somewhat - at least so I can try to do a reasonable editing job for the next several months. I'm pretty sure it has PCIe slots.  Here is my current setup:

HP Pavillion a1430n

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

350 Gig HD

2 GHz  3 Gig RAM

Windows XP SP3

Graphics (integrated): Nvdia Gforce 6150LE

Power Supply: 300 Watt

Any opinions or suggestions welcome!

Owl Boy

• 1. Re: graphics card for old box
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Owl Boy,

Let's step back just a bit. What is the source footage that you are editing? That might well have some bearing on the recs..

In general terms, if your graphics card is running fine, and ATI is still providing updated drivers for it, you will not get much BFTB (Bang for the Buck) with a new graphics card. A 300W PSU is suspect as being a weak link, but even if you upgraded to an 850W unit, you would only see things improve, if you are getting failures in the PSU.

The three main areas to look into are:

• CPU - can you upgrade w/o having to get a new MoBo?
          • RAM - how much will your MoBo hold, and what OS are you running
          • I/O - do you only have one physical HDD? Two is in real-world terms about the min., and 3 is even better.

Good luck, and let us know a little more in the way of details.

Hunt

• 2. Re: graphics card for old box
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

IMHO your problem is not card related, it is only having one hard drive

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
            You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
            Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
            You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
            A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
            One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: graphics card for old box
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with the others. The graphics card is the least likely piece of hardware to improve your performance in this case.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: graphics card for old box
                Ted Smith Level 3

Try making the preview window as small as you can and still see something meaningful.

Also switch off the little thumbnails in the timeline when evaluating the final result.

Disconnect from the internet and switch off any virus protection.

Close any other programs running in the background and exit unnecessary routines indicated in the lower task bar

2mb RAM is a too low, particularly if your video card uses some of it for memory.When  the RAM is exhausted, part of the hard disk is used temporarily to  store the remainder that wont fit in the RAM. This is far slower than  RAM and the program waits a fraction of a second until it is used - thia  causes a stutter.  4gb is better.

You can never judge the final product on the preview window anyway and it won't stutter on your final video or DVD production.

PRE is designed to MAKE productions. not for viewing them as the preview is collecting and assembling the picture shown on the run from various sources. This why 2 or more disks is much better as the disk head diesnt have to fly about finding different bits of info from different parts of the disk. You put all the program stuff on one disk and the video on another,

Make sure you buy disks that have internal buffering and have quick access time, not necessarily quick transfer speed.

• 5. Re: graphics card for old box
                  Owl Boy Level 1

Friends-

To answer the questions you had regarding my current system and recording options:

SYSTEM:

CPU upgradable? I am pretty sure that it cannot be upgraded. Tough to find this

info on the web. Also, it only has one CPU slot.

RAM: I am maxed out at 4 gig.

Hard Drive: Only one (250 GB SATA 7200 RPM)

RECORDING:

I am recording using a CANON HF R10 camcorder, which offers the following

recording options:

MPEG-4 AVC/H.264

MODE:
                  FXP (17 Mbps) Highest Quality
                  XP+ (12 Mbps) High Quality
                  SP  ( 7 Mbps) Standard
                  LP  ( 5 Mbps) Long Play

FRAME RATE:
                  60i  (60 Hz interlaced)
                  PF30 (30 Hz progressive)
                  PF24 (24 Hz progressive)

OUTPUT FILE/FORMAT:
                  .mts / AVCHD

I am mainly interested in producing music videos for both burning to disc and posting to youtube. So these will be quite short -generally less than 5 minutes after the final edit - and could have quite a bit of movement, cuts and effects. I am new to recording. I am thinking that maybe I should record using either the FXP or XP+ mode and either the 60i or PF30 frame rate.

As far as souping up my computer, by the replies I have gotten, I'm thinking that adding a second HD would be my best bet.

QUESTIONS:

What size/speed HD would be recommended? Ted has mentioned access time and

internal buffering.

Is the size of my current power supply (300w) an issue when adding a HD?

Any suggestion regarding my recording mode, frame rate etc.?

Thanks a million, guys!

Owl Boy

HP Pavilion
                  AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
                  250 GB SATA 7200 RPM
                  2 GHz processor
                  4 Gig RAM

• 6. Re: graphics card for old box
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>MPEG-4 AVC/H.264...mts / AVCHD

You are NEVER going to be happy trying to edit those files, even if you add a dozen hard drives

AVCHD is highly compressed, and requires at least a Quad-Core Intel with the advanced graphic instructions to decode the files "on the fly" for editing (AMD does not have those advanced on-chip instructions, so will always struggle)

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed

For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
                    1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
                    2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
                    3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

To edit with your computer, convert to a different format

Convert AVCHD to HDV http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0
                    or use Cineform Neo Scene http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

• 7. Re: graphics card for old box
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with John. When it comes to editing AVCHD video, there's no substitute for a new, quad-core computer.