6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 8:36 AM by John T Smith

Premiere Elements 9 crashing when rendering

samjnickels Level 1

I am running Abode Premiere Element 9 on a:

HP Pavilion dm4

Intel i5 2.4 ghz

4GB RAM

The video card is integrated

The first editing project I did was problematic to say the least. The program crashed approximately 15 times while editing a fairly-simple 2 minute video.  Now I am unable to render the video. I was able to successfully render a very small FLV video without it crashing.  But when I try to do an mpeg, avi, or upload to YouTube, the program will crash within 15 seconds.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing when rendering
          nealeh Level 5

Work through these basics to see if it cures your problems.

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Install PRE9 v9.0.1 update.
          • Delete BadDrivers.txt (in Windows 7 this is likely at C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt)
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Reboot your PC.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clips and hardware:

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing when rendering
            the_wine_snob Level 9

After you have worked through Neale's suggestions, if things are still not working well, see this ARTICLE on setting up your computer for an editing session. If you have Win7, be sure to see Black Viper's Win7 Tuneup Guide, down-thread a bit.

If nothing there helps, then see this ARTICLE on finding clues, when one has a program, or system crash.

Last, this ARTICLE has some other links, that might be helpful. Note: the link to The Case of the Unexplained, in this article is newer, than the one in the article above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing when rendering
              samjnickels Level 1

Ok, I did all the basics. 

Here's the file analysis

Video report.PNG

After reading the next points you asked me to elaborate on, and answering them in my head, I realized there might be some room for error here.  I also copied the files over to another computer with PRE installed, and I had the same problems (which makes me think its not hardware issue, but probably some sort of file type related error.)  Anyway...

* What project preset did you use? - I used DV PAL Standard (or possibly widescreen, I am not sure)
              * Where did the clip come from? - I recorded on a PAL DV camera (Samsung). I imported with Windows Movie Maker (as I didnt have PRE installed) in AVI format. I then cut up the clip in WMM and exported as WMV. I then imported that WMV file into PRE. I had issues while I was editing (crashing 10-15 times in the course of 2 hours) and haven't been able to export anything more than the smallest FLV file (I had tried to export with every listed video type)
              * How did you get it into PRE? - I just answered that. 

Additional: Timeline is about 2 mins. No additional video or photo files used. Lots of text used as the video is subtitled. Some dissolve and fade to black transitions used. 

System

HP Pavilion dm4 1165dx M450 @ 2.4 ghz Intel i5

Windows 7 64 bit Home edition

4BG RAM DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)

Intel HD Graphics (listed as Intel GMA HD on the web) v. 8.15.10.2202 -- 8/25/2010

HDD: c:/ 198GB free of 441; d:/ (recovery) 2.5 free of 23.6

Virtual Memory: 3893 MB located on C:/ -- Recommended: 5839 MB

Sound: Intel Display Audio ?? v. 6.12.0.3047 -- 2/3/2010

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing when rendering
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would also recommend against using WMVs as your source video.

They're supposed to work -- and sometimes they do. But they also must be digested by Premiere Elements and converted on the fly as the program works with them -- and that can take a tremendous amount of power (Particularly when you're working with hi-def files) and quite often leads to crashes.

Converting that video to DV-AVIs before you load them into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum, will likely resolve the vast majority your problems.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing when rendering
                  nealeh Level 5

Almost certainly the WMV file is to blame. Fine for playing but dreadful to edit. When you imported it into PRE9 did PRE produce any messages about the preset being wrong?

You have a few options:

• Ideally, now you have PRE9 installed, you should use PRE to import directly from your Samsung.
                  • If you have WMM 2.0, or 2.6 you can export from WMM to DV-AVI and PRE9 will love it.
                  • If you have WMM Live, then grab Windows Movie Maker 2.6. This might be able to import your WMM Live project and you can then export to DV-AVI from v2.6. Incidentally although Microsoft describe 2.6 as a 'Vista' product it works perfectly in XP, Vista , and W7 - both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
                  • Finally take a look at What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI? Your best option, as you obviously got PRE to read your WMV file, would be to load it to a PRE project and then immediatey use PRE to Share it as a DV-AVI file.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children