5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 4:53 PM by TimeRemapper

Pick Whip Issue

Garth Drummer

I'm having a rather frustrating issue with the pick-whip tool in After effects. I've used the program for years, however since yesterday, when I link 2 layers together with the pick-whip tool, where normally the child layer remains unchanged until the parent is affected, the child layer now skews as soon as it is connected with its parent.

Does anybody have any idea why this could be happening? I'm all out of ideas.

regards,

Garth

• 1. Re: Pick Whip Issue
          Garth Drummer Level 1

I've since found that the skewing occurs when the parent layer already has its transform properties changed. For example, my parent layer has been scaled down in size, only on the x-axis. The child layer appears to be taking on these properties as soon as its connected, where normally it would stay the same until further changes are made to the parent.

Please help me,

regards,

Garth

• 2. Re: Pick Whip Issue
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

from "Parent and child layers":

"When you create a parenting relationship, you can choose whether to have the child take on the transform property values of the parent or retain its own. If you choose to have the child take on the transform property values of the parent, the child layer jumps to the parent’s position. If you choose to have the child retain its own transform property values, then the child stays where it is. In both cases, subsequent changes to the transform property values of the parent are applied to the child. Similarly, you can choose whether the child jumps when the parenting relationship is removed...

To make a child layer jump when a parent is assigned or removed, hold down Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) as you assign or remove the parent."

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Pick Whip Issue
              Garth Drummer Level 1

Hi, thanks for your reply, it was helpful but im still having the same problem. I've created a short video displaying my problem, its really quite strange.

• 4. Re: Pick Whip Issue
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That's weird.

Would you mind sending me your project? My email address is kopriva (at) adobe (dot) com.

• 5. Re: Pick Whip Issue
                  TimeRemapper Level 4

Agreed. That is weird. Are there any other modifications made to your parent layer? Any effects applied? Is the anchor point in an unusual, or uncommon location? What kind of footage is the parent layer?