8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 1:06 PM by Harm Millaard

ICH10R question

jkosmicki Level 2

I have always built my edit systems with RAID cards from 3Ware, Adaptec and ATTO. I just built a new 2nd edit suite system with an Asus Sabertooth x58, it uses the Intel ICH10R.

I'm getting about 320MB/s read and only 45MB/s write using 4-2TB Barracuda drives at RAID 5. My question is, is that a normal write speed for the ICH10R? I know a built-in RAID is nowhere near as good as a RAID card, and I know there is a drop in write performance across multiple drives, but I'm hoping there is a way to improve on the write speed. I have write-cache enabled and strip size set to 64kb, there really is not anymore settings then that in the Intel software.

Speed on this system is not as critical as with my main online suite, but I would like to have the RAID 5 redundancy since this drive will be for video files.

thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: ICH10R question
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jeff

Your write performance is terrible, a single drive should be much better write performance than that.  If it is at all possible I would break your RAID 5 and just for test purposes benchmark two or three drives at a time maybe even in plain RAID 0    I suspect that one or more of your drives does not like being in a RAID array.  I have seen this same symptom in my RAID testing where the write performance severly falls off.  What benchmark are you using?  I just bought 8 each 2.5-inch Dell "pulled" drives, and am returning one drive as destroying the 8 disk performance.  I just happened to have an identical Seagate drive so I am still in business.

• 2. Re: ICH10R question
            jkosmicki Level 2

Hey Bill,
            I am using both IO meter and the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, they both give me the same results, so I think it is accurate. I have a 5th identical drive so I will do some tests. thanks for the info.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: ICH10R question
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Open up the Intel Rapid Storage Manager and select the raid volume. Then select the advanced link. Check mark the box for "Enable Write Cache"

Then Win 7 should stop throttling the drive performance on write.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: ICH10R question
                jkosmicki Level 2

"Enable Write Cache" was one of the first things I tried, unfortunately it only speeds things up a few MB/s.

Now I tried every combination using 5 different drives in 3 and 4 drive configurations, the only thing that seems to work well is running RAID 0. So I can assume the drives are OK, and it is something somewhere between the Intel chip and Win 7. I'll keep looking...

• 5. Re: ICH10R question
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Raid5 on the ICHR10 is not very fast, but the degradation is worse than I expected. 320 read speed is very good, but 45 write speed is way lower than around 160 I would expect, assuming a single disk achieves around 133 MB/s transfer rate. Do you have the latest BIOS and Intel drivers installed?

• 6. Re: ICH10R question
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If you right click on the raid volume in Device manager and go to properties and then select the Policy tab,what does it show as selected?

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: ICH10R question
                      jkosmicki Level 2

Yep, it was the BIOS. Although none of the BIOS updates mention any fix to the Intel chip, it did the trick, 300MB/s read - 150MB/s write, not bad at all. Thanks everyone for the help.

• 8. Re: ICH10R question
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Glad this solved it for you. Your results now are where I expected them to be.