7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 1:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Clips are Overlapped in Final Product

u2metoo@

I’m having a tough time describing my issue, so using the search function isn’t finding me a solution.

The problem is that clips are overlapping (and underlapping) when they stacked up using multiple tracks on the final product.

Basically what I’m trying do is something like the opening credits Brady Bunch, you know where they have a profile clip of all nine characters all in one view. 

I’m doing something a little more basic with four clips playing at the same time, so I have four tracks and each track has a clip.  The PE monitor shows the clips aligned just the way I want then; the edges of each clip are perfectly butted up against each other (at least on the PE monitor).  When I save and view the final project as a .avi or mpeg video the clips are no longer aligned properly.  The clips seem to drift over the center lines to far or the drift apart.  Some of the clips I’ve resized and cropped, so it has the appropriate view on the PE monitor.

I’ve noticed this problem happening with my titles too.  Where I’ve positioned title clip on a certain location of the video clip below it, but the final product shifts the title up or down.

Perhaps this has something to do with the 720x480 PE monitor aspect ratio and the aspect ratio of my final product (ntsc wide), but I just can’t seem to wrap my brain around it.  The footage I am using is 720p 60fps from a GoPro camera.

• 1. Re: Clips are Overlapped in Final Product
          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if I follow, you are Importing HD material (probably square pixels) into an SD Project (you do not state whether it's Standard, or Widescreen - rectangular pixels), and are then Exporting/Sharing as SD Widescreen (16:9 w/ rectangular pixels at a PAR of 1.21).

Then, you are Scaling the HD material down to about 1/4 of the SD (720 x 480) Frame Size, plus adding the Crop Effect. Is that correct?

I assume that you are using the fixed Effects>Motion>Scale, and Motion>Position to create your PiP. Is that also correct?

First guess would be that the difference between the HD PAR of 1.0 (square pixels) and the Project's PAR of ?, plus the Export/Share PAR of 1.21 is causing issues.

One possible workflow would be to create an HD Project, that matches the Go-Pro footage (see this ARTICLE for tips on the Go-Pro), then Export/Share from that, to the SD format with a PAR to match the desired SD Project's PAR, as DV-AVI. Import those Exported DV-AVI files and create your PiP, as before.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Clips are Overlapped in Final Product
            u2metoo@ Level 1

PiP,  that's the term that was escaping me. - Thank you.

"First guess would be that the difference between the HD PAR of 1.0 (square pixels) and the Project's PAR of ?, plus the Export/Share PAR of 1.21 is causing issues."

Okay, I get what you are talking about, and most likely it is a miss match there. You are talking the lingo that will help me search and solve this issue much easier.

I'll try to match project up with the export file as you suggested.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Clips are Overlapped in Final Product
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, on getting the PAR's to match. That should take care of things for you - at least here's hoping.

When I am doing PiP montages, I usually do alignment grids to help that process. In your case, it sounds like you are butting your 2 x 2 matrix of Clips, so is probably not necessary. Still, here is an ARTICLE on alignment grids. At the end, I added a little bit on PiP alignment.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Clips are Overlapped in Final Product
                u2metoo@ Level 1

I didn't realize the preset was so important.  Now I know, Now I know.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Clips are Overlapped in Final Product
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless one is doing ONLY still images, then the Preset must match the source Video footage 100%, or there will be problems.

CS5 has helped out here, in that one can Import source footage, then drag one of the Clips to the New Icon, and an appropriate Preset will be determined for that Sequence.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Clips are Overlapped in Final Product
                    u2metoo@ Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you for your guidance.

The clips are aligning just as I'd like them to.  And the grid will be very helpful.

I have a few more questions, but I think I'll ask those in existing threads that are more appropriate.

• 7. Re: Clips are Overlapped in Final Product
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt