3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 11:13 AM by Alexander Kochetov

Using two different type of cameras in post production? Different frame rates, different size ect..

jpotter137

I currently use two types of cameras when i shoot video. I have a Pentaz KX DSLR camera, and also a Kodak zi8. The problem i am having is mixing the two kinds of video in post production. Is there a way to mix this footage. Also what are some things i should look out for. Both cameras can shoot in different types of modes. Such as 720p @ 30fps or 60fps and also 1080p @ 30fps.

I could use all the help i can get. The video footage from the Pentax also comes out choppy in post production too. But that may be for discussion on another thread.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Using two different type of cameras in post production? Different frame rates, different size ect..
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From other discussions, you will not be able to edit 1080p (or, not without serious problems)

So... tell both cameras to shoot in 1080i or 720p (or 720i ???) at the same frame rate

Then... you MAY still have problems, if the two cameras use different codecs

But, at least synch up what you can and then do a small test

• 2. Re: Using two different type of cameras in post production? Different frame rates, different size ect..
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I definitely would not recommend mixing video from those two very different camcorder formats in the same Premiere Elements project. It's going to cause nothing but trouble.

Most likely that Kodak is going to give you the most problems, since those inexpensive HD cams tend to shoot MP4s with non-standard codecs.

If you have no other options, I'd recommend you take the video from one camcorder and convert it to the format of the other before you mix them together. Then you can be sure that the program is only working with one video format, which will give you much a higher quality, less problem-prone project.

If that Kodak comes with software for editing its video, you may want to see if it will let you output your video as a more traditional format.

• 3. Re: Using two different type of cameras in post production? Different frame rates, different size ect..
              Alexander Kochetov

It depends, I think. In one of my projects I combined footages from two camcorders – Canon Legria HF M306 (.MTS 1920x1080, 25 f/s) and Kodak Play Sport (.MOV 1280x720, 30 f/s). Project settings – HD 1080i, 25 f/s. Canon of course is much much better than Kodak in all aspects but one. Kodak can shoot under water (up to 30 ft or 10m) without any special equipment. To my surprise all editing (in PrE9) went very smoothly. By the way, besides HD output I made a PAL DVD version in the same project using SHARE option.

I think one of the reasons of my success was installation on my PC both Kodak and Canon software. So all the necessary codecs  were already installed before PrE9 began editing. I do not use their software for editing because PrE9 has much more editing power.

I don’t know how PrE9 could manage different frame rates, but one must look at the screen very hard to notice that Kodak footage plays not so smoothly as native (I mean project’s 25 f/s) Canon footage.

So, try and may be you can be as lucky as me.

PS I imported raw (that is without any conversion) files from Canon and Kodak camcorders to my project.

Message was edited by: Alexander Kochetov