5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 4:20 PM by nealeh

AVCHD clip's always needs to get rendered when inserting. Media info about .mts file attached

Mr Nielsen

Hi

I have previously discussed this problem in another thread. I have .mts files that I insert in a project (project preset set to PAL-AVCHD Full-HD)....when inserting i always need to render the clips and as many peole have mentioned, this should not be needed, instead PrEl should take care of this by itself..and it really sunds weird if it doesnt...

So, why is this happen...i get so frustrated when I have to re-render the clips all the time, since also - it takes a looong time for jsut tiny tiny clips ? I posted the hardware specs I have two days ago in this same forum, and it looks from the answers I got that this hardware should be enough for not having to wait several minutes to jsut add a 6 second AVCHD clip ?

Please look at below image that is a screenshot from MediaInfo about the details for my .mts file I'm trying to add - resulting in new rendering needed, plus the fact that it takes about 5 minutes to render it ??

Please, suggestion or solutions ? I'm lost...I got feedback yesterday that this is a known problem with both PrEl 8 and PrEl 9 ..that AVCHD clips needs to get rendered manually when they are added....i.e a known bug in these versions ?? Any experience ? How can I move forward, I have problems to understand that such bug should exist without anysolution and/or workaround since I see this as a feature that MUST work for people not getting crazy :-)

MediaInfo screenshot (click on image to get it to look better) BR /Helmut

mediainfo_details_for_mts_file.jpg

• 1. Re: AVCHD clip's always needs to get rendered when inserting. Media info about .mts file attached
          nealeh Level 5

PRE9 can edit AVCHD natively so you shouldn't be experiencing problems there.

• Are you opening a project created in PRE8 with PRE9? If yes, that is the most likely cause of the problem. Create a new PRE9 project and see if the same problems after you import the clip and save the project.
          • When you first added the clip to your project did you receive any messages that the file was not suitable for the format? If so did you accept the offered preset? If you didn't start a new PRE9 project and this time accept the offer.
          • When you put it into the project, did you have a red line running the length of the timeline? If you do then your preset is not correct (this is purely PRE9. PRE8 always required rendering AVCHD footage).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: AVCHD clip's always needs to get rendered when inserting. Media info about .mts file attached
            Mr Nielsen Level 1

Hi Neale

many thanks for your time trying to help me out.....

Please see my answers below in bold, hope you and/or someone else can help me with some further answers

• Are you opening a project created in PRE8 with PRE9? If yes, that is the most likely cause of the problem. Create a new PRE9 project and see if the same problems after you import the clip and save the project. No, I'm only working in Pr 8.0 - I have this problem as soon as I add a clip..not that into the different formats, just know that the best possible output from my camera (Canon HF10) should be AVCHD..thats why I added teh detailed info from "MediaInfo". can you tell from that info I'm correct, i.e that the .mts file is really AVCHD as expected ? Just to help me confirm that. So, I havent been using PrEl 9.0...another person two days ago told me that PrEl 9 also got similar problems as I reported for my PrEl 8.0 ?
            • When you first added the clip to your project did you receive any messages that the file was not suitable for the format? If so did you accept the offered preset? If you didn't start a new PRE9 project and this time accept the offer. No, I did not get any messages as all about the format. Occasionally I get something like "Do you want to fix the quality in the clip" ..cant recall exactelly what the message is, but its for sure nothing about the format
            • When you put it into the project, did you have a red line running the length of the timeline? If you do then your preset is not correct (this is purely PRE9. PRE8 always required rendering AVCHD footage).Yes, always when I add a clip I get this red line. If I understand everything correctly this means I have to hit ENTER key to create a preview file....thats my second problem - as soon as I do that, it renders the clip very very slowly although I should have prety good hardware (According to spec posted two days ago).

So, as a summary. Do you think that buying Premiere Elements 9.0 should get rid of this problem when adding AVCHD ? If that is the case, I feel I just want to be sure about this and that I will not experience the problem again. Can it not just be some setting that is, by default, not correct in Premiere El 8.0 that is causing this or is this really a known bug without fixes available from Adobe?

Best Regards

Helmut

• 3. Re: AVCHD clip's always needs to get rendered when inserting. Media info about .mts file attached
              nealeh Level 5

PRE9 will edit AVCHD directly (although you do need a pretty powerful PC) and should cure the problem. If you can create a few seconds of your MTS (slow Internet where I am so  <50MB please) and put it on a file share site I'll test it for you..

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: AVCHD clip's always needs to get rendered when inserting. Media info about .mts file attached
                Mr Nielsen Level 1

Ok, thanks Neale..will see if I can find any file share to use for this purp

ose...meanwhile...do you think below spec. is enough for running PrEl 9 without any problems for AVCHD editing ? if not, what part should you consider adding/replacing over time ?

Processor :  Intel Core i7 930, 2,8 Ghz - 4 kernels, 8 logical processors

RAM memory : 6 GB

64 bit operating system Windows 7

HD Drive1 : Intel SSD Sa2M080 G2Gc ATA Device - 80GB

HD Drive2 : Samsung HD103SJ ATA Device - 1 TB

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce Gt240 (1 GB RAM for video card)

Thanks

Helmut

• 5. Re: AVCHD clip's always needs to get rendered when inserting. Media info about .mts file attached
                  nealeh Level 5

Processor and Graphics card look fine.

I think you may experience problems though with the SSD Disk. I'm assuming this is designated as "C;" and contains your W7 OS. While you can designate drives for programs and scratch disks, Adobe still uses the C: drive - on my system, even with program installed on E: and Assets on I:, I still have 3.5GB of Adobe files on the C: drive. So the concern is that your C: drive may not be large enough to accommodate PRE comfortably. On the Upside, as you already have PRE8 installed, there must be enough room at present. Downside - if you think you may need to rework some PRE8 projects then you should not remove PRE8 (the principle is 'edit with the version it was created with'). So you will need space on C: for both versions.

If you have the option, you would also benefit from a second 'real' Hard Disk. You can then spread the program assets and scratch disk across two. Three is even better.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale