13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 2:51 PM by Dave LaRonde

Composition size not matching footage-Please help

StanNJ1

Hi I am really hoping someone can help me with such a basic problem. I open up After Effects CS4, then import a video clip which has dimensions of 1440x1080.  Then I drag the clip onto the new composition icon which is SUPPOSED to create a composition with the same parameters as the footage. But instead the footage is the wrong aspect ratio and appears to be squashed into a 4:3 box (or so it appears)

PLEASE Help if you can I am really aggravated

Thank you very much

• 2. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
          StanNJ1 Level 1

Thank you very much for your reply. I went through every setting in the interpret footage

dialogue box but nothing helped. Every time I drag my

footage into the project it makes a new composition but the video is stretched way too tall.

I can drag down the height of the video manually but then it leaves a black bar on top and bottom of the image. Any other help would be very much appreciated. I am at my wits end.

• 3. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

look for the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch at the bottom of the comp window.  It looks like an arrow with two points.  Toggle it on.

• 4. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
              StanNJ1 Level 1

Hey Dave I have one more question for you...............

Who's better than you ???!!!!!!

You nailed it. Worked like a charm. Something so simple drove me nuts for way too long. You made my day!!  Thank you so much

Stan

• 5. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My normal workflow, even when I have non square pixel footage, is to work in a square pixel format. If I was working with HDV footage at 1440 X 1080 I'd make my comps 1920 X 1080, then just drag the footage into the comp. It will fit perfectly, AE will handle the conversion to square pixels, and your life will be much easier.

On another note, I'd never render final work to that image size unless it was specifically requested by a client. Especially if you've added graphics, SQ pixel comps are the way to go. HDV codecs are highly compressed and are not a good option for quality work.

• 6. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                  StanNJ1 Level 1

Thanks alot Rick.  I have soooo much to learn!   I am only using two small clips from a Premier Pro CS4 project that I needed special effects for. I think if I had to make a full production using After Effects I would be in trouble.  Thanks again.

By the way I would love to see some of the work you guys have done if there was a place I could visit to do so.....

• 7. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

StanNJ1 wrote:

Who's better than you ???!!!!!!

I won't name names, but I have numbers:

Scores of people.  It's probably more like hundreds.  Perhaps thousands.

I've just taken the time to learn the basics.  And in AE, there are a lot of basics.  Once you know the basics, it's easier to concentrate on the fun stuff.

• 8. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                      StanNJ1 Level 1

Do you guys have any advice for render settings? I am almost finished with a project created in Premier and After Effects that runs about 15 minutes long. The size is 1440x1080. I want to burn it to a disk and then show it on a projector.  Also, I would like to post it to Youtube or Vimeo and will likely have to render it again for that??  Thanks a bunch

• 9. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

I want to burn it to a disk and then show it on a projector

What will be feeding the projector? A DVD player? If so you'll need to conform to mpeg2 standards (720x480, in your case, anamorphic).

Also, I would like to post it to Youtube or Vimeo and will likely have to render it again for that??

Depending on your answer to the previousquestion, maybe/maybe not.

• 10. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                          StanNJ1 Level 1

Yes I will be playing a DVD player through a projector. My project is 1440x1080 would that mean I would be rendering to 720x540? Is there such a thing? Also, any other Youtube settings that you could recommend would be very helpful. I usually struggle with finding a happy medium between quality and streaming friendly.  Thanks very much for taking the time

• 11. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

StanNJ1 wrote:

Yes I will be playing a DVD player through a projector. My project is 1440x1080 would that mean I would be rendering to 720x540?

NO -- it means working as Time Remapper recommended, 720x480, aka the NTSC DV comp preset.  If you want to keep your work at 16x9, it needs to be the NTSC DV Widescreen comp preset.  Nest your current comp in the new comp.  Scale the layer to fit the new comp.  You should be ready to go.

Render in a lossless codec in AE.  Then use Adobe Media Encoder to compress for MPEG2 video 7 AC3 audio for DVD authoring, and also for a square-pixel version in a web-friendly codec.

• 12. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                              StanNJ1 Level 1

Thank you again Dave. Please forgive all the dumb questions. I'm pretty good on the photo end but admittedly lacking much knowledge about video.

Here's where I'm getting confused right now

My video was shot out of the camera at 1440x1080.  That is a 4:3 ratio

If I render it to 720x480, this would be a 3:2 ratio. Wouldn't that distort my video?

You stated that if I wanted to keep my work at 16:9 that I should render to NTSC DV Widescreen but I didn't think I was ever at 16:9.  Wouldn't that be 1920x1080?

Since I thought my video was shot in HD would rendering to DV minimize the quality?

"Nest your current comp in the new comp"   Should I make a new composition in After Effects using a different format?

"Render in a lossless codec in AE"   My clip in After Effects was actually only about one minute long. I am using that clip in a Premier Pro project that is about 15 minutes long. I saved the .aep project and then imported it to Premier without rendering it.  Then I was going to render the entire 15 minute project all at once. Should I do this differently?

Should I do as Rick stated above and create a new composition in 1920x1080?  If I do wouldn't that leave two black bars on either side?

As I'm typing this I'm realizing that my entire Premier Pro project is the actual size of the video 1440x1080 so I'm not sure how I would create a new comp there.

Oh soooooo many questions

• 13. Re: Composition size not matching footage-Please help
                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

StanNJ1 wrote:

...I am using that clip in a Premier Pro project that is about 15 minutes long. I saved the .aep project and then imported it to Premier without rendering it.  Then I was going to render the entire 15 minute project all at once. Should I do this differently?

If you wrote that earlier, I certainly missed it. 

Forget all that jazz about DV widescreen comps.  Do like you intended and render in Premiere.  Use the resulting file in Adobe Media Encoder to make mpeg2 video & ac3 audio for DVD authoring in Encore, and then the square-pixel web version.

That oughta do it.