14 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2011 8:13 PM by hatailor

Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?

$gmillionaire Level 1

The only way I have been able to capture the footage it is showing up as MPEG and is needing to be rendered to export it. On longer clips the program just keeps crashing during the render when I attempt to export it to tape. What is the proper project setting  to import this footage correctly to avoid this mess.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
          Pyramid Pyro Level 1

I have an HC9 too and it is working wonderfully on CS5.

Exactly what are you trying to do in Premiere?  What's your workflow?  What are your system specs?

I use HDV-Split to capture.  Make sure your camer is set to output HD and not scale down to SD.  MPG sounds about right for captured HDV footage.

Anything imported/captured should be edited in a HDV60/30i (sp) sequence.  I've had no problem exporting to MPG2 files at just under 24mbps.  I have not tried to export to tape.

My system handles the longer (up to 60 min) clips OK so post your system specs and maybe something will be revealved.

Erik

• 2. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are only two choices either capture as mpeg or as dv-avi which you can downconvert to in the camera.

Yes footage gets rendered on export to tape.

Does the camera support hdv-in? Have you set the camera to hdv-in and vcr mode?

Choose a hdv 1080i50 or 60 setting (pal or ntsc)

Or drag a clip into the New Item icon at the bottom of the project window to start a new sequence.

• 3. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
              $gmillionaire Level 1

My System Specs are:

DS-MC8 Custom Built Turnkey Computer Workstation for Avid Media Composer 5
              Symantec Ghost 15 - Front USB/1394 Hub (STD-PACKAGE)
              Chipset: Intel x58-GigabitLAN-(6) SATA 3.0Gbps-(2) SATA 6.0Gbps-1394a-(12) USB 2.0-(2) USB
              3.0-(1) eSATA (X58RAM3X-A) 
              CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Quad Core Processor 3.20 GHz 4.8 QPI (BX80601960)
              System RAM: 12GB (6x 2GB DDR3-1333) (DDR3133312GB-2)
              System Drive: 160GB Solid State Drive (SSD) +250MBps Read/+70MBps Write
              (SSDSA2MH160G2C1)
              Spare Drive: 1.5TB SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 32MB Cache 7200RPM (ST31500341AS)
              Display Adapter: NVIDIA Quadro FX1700 512MB DVI/DVI PCI-e (QUADFX1700)
              Primary Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray/DVD/CD Recorder w/Cyberlink (WH10LS30)
              Internal Video Raid: 2x 1.5TB SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 32MB Cache 7200RPM 3TB RAID-0
              (2xST31500341AS-0)
              Sound Card: Integrated Sound (IT_SOUND)
              Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Got this originally for a Avid specified project but hated the new Avid interface so was attempting to use Premiere Pro on it.

• 4. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                Pyramid Pyro Level 1

Looks like your system is OK from what I can tell.

Ann's comments are always on target

You mentioned long clips.  Any dropped frames?

You menioned trying Premiere Pro.  It's not the trial right?

Any problems with other footage in Premiere?

I know that camera has different settings for firewire in/out.  Have you played with the camera settings?

Does the general edit run smooth?

How exactly are you capturing the footage?

Erik

• 5. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                  hatailor

Dear friends, I would greatly apprciate your help in finding a way to import footage from Sony HDR-HC9 into a computer that has no i.link.  I bought this now obsolete camera used it because it's high quality and uses DV tapes.  I have an older one of the same type, where I export into XP and vista with drivers to use with the adobe products, and then I edit as needed.  But the package I bought had no CD with it, and since then I can't find drivers.  I get conflicting advice from sony that thare are no drivers and the only way to use this camera is with the i.link.

Obviously those of you who have the camera have the CD and know what is in it.  Can one you tell me if there are drivers at least for XP?  Is there any way you could post them somewhere?

I also read in the posts of this forum about people editing the video on the tape, but I can't see instructions about it.  The older model I have permits making videoclips on the magic stick, but HDR-HC9 only permits still photos there.

I will greatly appreciate your advice.

• 6. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                    hatailor Level 1

Hello Erik,

I would greatly apprciate your help in finding a way to import footage from Sony HDR-HC9 into a computer that has no i.link.  I bought this now obsolete camera used it because it's high quality and uses DV tapes.  I have an older one of the same type, where I export into XP and vista with drivers to use with the adobe products, and then I edit as needed.  But the package I bought had no CD with it, and since then I can't find drivers.  I get conflicting advice from sony that thare are no drivers and the only way to use this camera is with the i.link.

Obviously you have the camera have the CD and know what is in it.  Can one you tell me if there are drivers at least for XP?  Is there any way you could post them somewhere so that I can copy them?  they are not forbidden.  I can also send my email for this.

Also I read in the posts of this forum about people editing the video on the tape, but I can't see instructions about it.  The older model I have permits making videoclips on the magic stick, but HDR-HC9 only permits still photos there.

I will greatly appreciate your advice.

• 7. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?

Buy yourself a firewire card to put in your computer because capturing via i-link (Sony name) is the only way to get your footage of the camera.

And you do NOT need the Sony CD. Windows will reconize your camera.

Synonyms: firewire - iLink - 1394EE

• 8. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                        hatailor Level 1

Hello Ann, thanks for your reply.  Where will my firewire card go?  My

laptop has no slots.  And I have not found a firewire card attached to a

usb port.  (I ordered a cable of this sort, but I am sure it will not work.)

• 9. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                          hatailor Level 1

Hello Ann, thanks for your kind reply.  Where do I put a firewire card?  My laptop has no slots.  Is there a way to connect it to USB?  Someone told me no, the system is totally different.  I have ordered a cable going from ilink to USB, but I am sure it will not work.

• 10. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                            joe bloe premiere Level 5

Where do I put a firewire card?

It sounds like it will go into your new computer.

• 11. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                              hatailor Level 1

Are you then saying that there is no way to use a firewire appendage on

a laptop that has no slots?  I still have time to return this camcorder.

But I keep reading that for XP at least there are drivers, as is the

case for the older similar camcorder that I have.  Do you happen to have

them?

• 12. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?

What do you want drivers for XP for. You are on W7 64 bits.

• 13. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                                  joe bloe premiere Level 5
                                  Are you then saying that there is no way to use a firewire appendage on

a laptop that has no slots?

Not that I am aware of.

But I keep reading that for XP at least there are drivers...  Do you happen to have them?

Nope. CS5 won't run on XP anyway.

You should look these over and read up on the hardware forum

before you make your system choices.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

Tech specs / System Requirements

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

(The same specs apply for CS5)

System requirements for capturing

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7f9ca .html

Hardware Forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

• 14. Re: Settings to import Sony HDR-HC9 footage in HD (1080i)?
                                    hatailor Level 1

I have one laptop that runs XP, so if I could get XP drivers for the

sony HDR-HC9 it would be useful.

I could return this camcorder.  I wanted one that takes high quality

videos but uses DV tapes and edits on the camcorder to removable media. 

Sony DTR-TRV70 does these (since 2003) but its quality is not very

good.  Do you happen to know if such models in other brands?

Thanks again for your help.