11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 9:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Saved project only produces video and no audio

musawwirs

I created a simple project with ony one AVI file.  I applied a single effect -- rotating the video from the portrait mode in which it was shot to landscape mode.  When I play the project in Premiere Elements v. 9 there is audio as well as video.  But when I export the project to an MPG or AVI file there is only video and no audio.  What could be the problem?

• 1. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0
          What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0
          What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

So... what CODEC is inside that AVI wrapper?

And, what are your EXACT output settings... did you maybe set an option telling the program you only want video?

• 2. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides checking the Export Audio & Export Video, you must also go to the Multiplexing tab and choose a Multiplexing Mode, other than "None." Usually, this choice will be "DVD." Otherwise you get elemental streams, i.e. one Audio file and one Video file, rather than a muxed AV file with both streams.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
              musawwirs Level 1

Thank you Hunt, but unfortunately when I tried what you suggested I found that Multiplexing was already set for DVD.  I should mention that I saved this file as MPEG2-DVD as well as AVI but neither resulted in a file containing any audio.  I still have to try the suggestions contained in John Smith's message which incorporated ideas that you have apparently put out there.  Checking those out will take me time.

I would say that a consumer oriented video program should not require its users to dig into the esoterica of codecs, etc.  I am a more than averagely computer adept person and I don't really have time to undertake a detailed theoretical education in this area.  I'm just a guy who has shot some home videos and wants to edit them and be able to watch them on my TV screen and share them with friends and relatives.

I have been very disappointed with Premiere Elements 9.  I had been using versions 2 and 3 which worked reasonably well for me.  I switched to version 9 because I had bought a PC running Windows 7, and versions 2 and 3 didn't seem to work in that OS.  Version 9 had no manual and its help files bring up mostly things based on earlier versions of Premiere Elements.  Obtaining tech support costs $29 a pop.  I don't know whether there is a better consumer level video program out there.   If I did know of one I'd buy it and forget about Premiere Elements. 

Musawwir

• 4. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

P-Elements 9 http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

>should not require its users to dig into the esoterica of codecs

Just as soon as you convince every camera vendor in the world to create video that uses only one codec, at only one set of parameters, you will be able to use software that works exactly the same for all files

Until then... you really do need to know what you have so you may tell the software what to do with what you have

You can't shove a slice of bread into a DVD player, and you can't put a DVD in a toaster (unless you want a mess in either case)

>Multiplexing was already set for DVD

In that case, you are getting exactly what you requested... a video file with no audio, and a separate audio file

• 5. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, if a program is to offer any flexibility for output, then considerations will have to be made.

You'd be surprised at the number of users, who cry that PrE cannot directly Export MKV, or even DivX, until one adds the correct CODEC's to the system.

As John T. says, if all video cameras shot the same exact way, and users did not need anything related to YouTube, Vimeo, the Web, or anything but DVD/BD, life would be more simple. Of course, that would preclude iPhones, iPods, iPads, Zune and all the smart-phones, or the various boxes, that hook to one's TV. With compatibility, one must learn what the options are.

Now, with your Export/Share, if you DID check Multiplexing, what was your Audio choice? How/where are you testing the output file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
                    musawwirs Level 1

I have gotten very discouraged in trying to work this problem out.  Today I captured two DV cassette's worth of video created by my Sony DCR-TRV280 camera.  In both cases, the timeline shows both an audio and a video track.  I can play the resultant AVI files using Windows (7) Media Player, but when I try to play the project in Premiere Elements 9, I get video and no audio.  I read Bill Hunt's article "Problem with AVI File - TheLowdown", but found my eyes glazing over. I downloaded the GSpot program recommended in the article, but couldn't figure out how to use it.

In one posting, Hunt said that I should "go to the Multiplexing tab and choose a Multiplexing Mode, other than "None." Usually, this choice will be "DVD."Otherwise you get elemental streams, i.e. one Audio file and one Video file, rather than a muxed AV file with both streams."     I did this without success.  When I reported that I had chosen the DVD setting without success, John T. Smith said, "In that case, you are getting exactly what you requested... a video file with no audio, and a separate audio file."

I don't even remember how I accessed the Multiplexing tab and was unable to do it when I made my latest try.  Given the failure of Adobe to provide a User Manual for the program I  bought Steve Grisetti's Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 9,  but found nothing in the index about CODECs or about Multiplexing. Nor did I find these topics mentioned in Adobe's Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Classroom in a Book publication.

I have been using PCs since 1983 and am reasonably computer literate for one who is not a technician.  But buying a digital camcorder from Sony, a leading company and a video editing program from Adobe, a leading software company, has left me without the ability to do rudamentary editing.  Before I bought a new computer running Windows 7, I was using Premiere Elements 3 on an XP computer and doing reasonbly well with it.  But when my XP computer died and I found that my Windows 7 computer would not run version 3.  That's the only reason I bought version 9.

Did I make a mistake buying Adobe Premiere Elements, since it has no documentation and there is no reference in its paltry on-line help file, Adobe's Classroom in a Book publication, or in Steve Grisetti's book that aludes to any of the problems I have been discussing here?   Is there another program on the market that will work better?  I haven't found the on-line reviews of the editing programs to be reliable and I don't want to buy one program after another, spending the money and climbing the learning curve until I can find one that works as advertized.

• 7. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
                      nealeh Level 5

Sadly very few companies now produce printed manuals for their software. It's a double win for them - previously the costs of the manual were by far the biggest cost element in a boxed retail product, and they can now produce 'manuals' and charge for them. Personally though I wouldn't call a 23MB Help File paltry but then each to their own.

Some alternatives that are favourably reported on these forums are:

• CyberLink PowerDirector / Power Producer products.
                      • Magix Movie Edit Pro
                      • Sony Vegas Studio

And of course if your requirements are not too sophisticated there are a plethora of free video production tools out there (Windows Movie Maker being the most obvious one).

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if I am following along correctly, you did a Capture from the miniDV tape, into PrE, with the camera connected via FireWire. The DV-AVI files created with this Capture, play Video & Audio on other players, but not in PrE. Is that correct?

In PrE, when you drag one of the Clips to the Timeline, do you see an Audio Waveform on the Audio Track, but the Audio will just not play and will not Export?

If so, there is probably a setting in PrE, that is getting in the way. This ARTICLE will step you through Audio troubleshooting.

Also, with your Clip on the Timeline, look at it closely. There should be a yellow/orange "rubberband" line running the length of that Clip. It should be up near the top of that Clip. Is it? Note: when working with Clips, it is easy to accidentally grab and move that rubberband, effectively lowering the Audio Volume to -oo dB. If you have done that, you will hear no Audio, and it will Export at -oo dB, or silence. Here is a look at the Volume rubberband. Is yours at about the same position? Here, look at the Narration Track Clip, in the Timeline, to see the yellow/orange rubberband. Note: this is from PrE 4.0, but your view should be very similar. Also, the Audio Mixer console is shown, as well:

Audio_Mixer_PrE_01.jpg

Go to Window>Audio Mixer in the Menu bar at the top of the GUI (Graphical User Interface), and open the Audio Mixer. Look to make sure that the Audio Track (should be Audio 1, unless you moved the Audio portion of the Clip). Play the Timeline. Do you see the green Levels meter for that Track moving up and down? Do you see the slider (the graphical potentionmeter) moving?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
                          musawwirs Level 1

Dear Bill,

Thank you for maintaining this dialog with me.  It's taken me so long to respond because I have had other thing on my  plate.  So I didn't try what you suggested until today.

I am still having the problem of no audio when I play a project even though the AVI files that are in it have sound.  I opened the audio mixer.  There was no muting checked on any of the sliders.  I could successfully move the slider on Audio 1 up and own.  I dragged the yellow line on the audio files as far up as I could.  When I play the project in PR I can see the green levels meter display go up and down. But still no sound.

So what can I do now?

Musawwir

• 10. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
                            nealeh Level 5

Firstly, if you haven't already, download and install the latest Audio Drivers for your sound card, direct from the manufacturer's website. And the most recent Apple QuickTime Player (v7.6.9 at time of writing).

In Edit> Preferences check your settings for each of the three Audio items.

1.png

In Audio Hardware click the ASIO Settings button and make sure you have a device checked on the Output Tab.

2.png

In all these audio dialogs many have dropdowns where you can specify the Default Device. Try switching between some of them (on my system there are only two Premiere Elements WDM Sound, and Creative ASIO) to see if that helps.

If nothing works please post back with images from the Audio items within Edit> Preferences.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Saved project only produces video and no audio
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot recall if I linked to this ARTICLE, but it goes hand-in-hand with Neale's post.

Good luck,

Hunt