8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 10:30 AM by Baedian

illustrator imports as blank?

Baedian

Iv'e been trying for the past falf an hour to import and illustrator file into Catalyst (Both CS5).  My first attempted led to failure, too many vectors so I rasterized anything I did not need.  After doing so I was able to import the file, or so I thought.  Once the loading bar was finished I was left with a blank workspace, with the right dimensions, and a single empty layer named after the bottom layer in my file.  I was wondering if the rasterized image may have been too large so I removed it and left the rest of the vector elements; doing so resulted a blank workspace without any laters.

I've ran several searches on google and this forums however I have not found a solution.

• 2. Re: illustrator imports as blank?
          Baedian Level 1

Too many vectors, catalyst rather than issuing the too many vectors error silently fails and generates a blank workspace.

• 3. Re: illustrator imports as blank?
            Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Sorry that it failed silently, but glad you resolved the issue. Depending out the final output of the project, you might want to look at further optimizations to the artwork to help performance. This would be something you would do toward the end, once you feel the design and functionality is as complete as software ever gets.

Chris

• 4. Re: illustrator imports as blank?
              Baedian Level 1

Not sure what I can do further to optimize this file.  Im building a reality track map that contain about 660-680 clickable plots.  Ive done the first 200, brought them into catalyst 40 to 70 at a time and optimized them.  Im used to dealing under a hundred elements any suggestions on optimization would really help.

• 5. Re: illustrator imports as blank?
                Ed@SF Level 1

Baedian wrote:

Not sure what I can do further to optimize this file.  Im building a reality track map that contain about 660-680 clickable plots.  Ive done the first 200, brought them into catalyst 40 to 70 at a time and optimized them.  Im used to dealing under a hundred elements any suggestions on optimization would really help.

Disclaimer: I'm also a newbie with FC.

Can you clarify a bit when you say "clickable plots"?

Watch this Adobe TV video - it may give you some ideas(?):

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2009-design/structuring-ui-design-comps-for-use-in-flash-cat alyst/

It's a lengthy video, but personally, its worth every minute (helped me out a lot). You can probably start/skip to the 11th minute - its where the "meat" gets going. There's a "map" concept in it too (assuming I understood "reality track map" or is it "realty"?), and maybe helpful....

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: illustrator imports as blank?
                  Baedian Level 1

realty, typo. I'll watch the video as I get time, thanks.

As for "plots" each is a shape that contains the normal button states as is colored for different Avialabilities: Sold, For Sale, Bank Owned, etc.  I would have perfered doing this with a maps API and using custom tiles and find the geocode for the each plot however the client demands flash and the use of his illustrator file.  He also was nice enough to skew the map so i could not fake it and still use a maps api in flash :-P

575 Residential Houses

120 Commecial Spaces

18 Parks

3 Schools

I rasterized the Labels, Streets, Map, and sections of the map that are not used for interaction.

The client wanted this built as one large single map with the ability to zoom, also all properties where to be clickable regardless of zoom level.  Each one has a hover state displaying information about the specific space you have hovered over.  When clicked they forward you to a html/css page. Code wise i can make this work, preparation and importing the file i fell im out of my league.

Trying to figure out in general how to handle a file this large.  To get to the first 141 buttons I imported incrementally however catalyst would slow down after every import.  After Importing id create each button then optizine the vector inside the button, rasterizing would cause the program to crash faster.

Im probably using catalyst beyond its intended, so going to have to find a better process to build maps like this.

• 7. Re: illustrator imports as blank?
                    Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Quite the project! This project sound much better suited to be built with Flash Builder or in Flash Professional. You are going to probably keep running into issues or limitation in Flash Catalyst. You can use Flash Catalyst as part of the work flow for the project into Flash Builder (a key part of the program's existence). But you are going to need to break into smaller chunks in order to process them correctly.

You can us FC to prototype the interaction to make sure you are meeting the client's vision, but I would recommend switching to either FB or FP to create the app.

Good luck!

Chris

• 8. Re: illustrator imports as blank?
                      Baedian Level 1

Thank you, Catalyst is still a great tool even with these issues ive run into.  Its good to know the limitations of your software, switching over to FP.  As I learn more about Catalyst I plan to publish a few tutorials on my website, that is once ive finished designing and building version 3.0

Thanks for all the help!