15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2011 10:30 AM by manolo quiros

Automate P2 to Sequence

Jim_Simon Level 8

I had a chance to play around with some P2 media tonight.

One thing I noticed is that if I used the Automate to Sequence function, only Audio 1 was added to the sequence.  Anyone else seeing this?

• 1. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Yep.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Sad.

But, it does somewhat reinforce my decision to go with the Panny HMC150 over the 170.

• 3. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I guess. I find it just as easy, maybe easier, to drag the clip bin to the New Item button and create a sequence with everything in the bin, placed sequentially end-to-end. I guess if you want transitions automatically applied, this wouldn't work, but I never want transitions automatically applied so that doesn't bother me.

I'd suggest filing a bug on this one; editing from the bin inserts/overwrites all audio tracks, so it's clearly something in the Automate function.

• 4. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                shooternz Level 6
                But, it does somewhat reinforce my decision to go with the Panny HMC150 over the 170.

Have you settled on this camera now Jim?

Seems like a good choice all else considered.

• 5. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3
                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Colin Brougham wrote:

I find it just as easy, maybe easier, to drag the clip bin to the New Item button and create a sequence with everything in the bin, placed sequentially end-to-end.

Oh the wonderful new tips I learn reading this forum every day! What a time-saver!

• 6. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I guess if you want transitions automatically applied, this wouldn't work

Audio crossfades is exactly why I use the Automate function.  It's become such a time saving part of my work flow that to suddenly not have it would be very disruptive.

• 7. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Have you settled on this camera now Jim?

The front runner is the HMC150.  I'm currently running some tests with the HVX200A as I know someone who has one, and it uses the same CCDs.  First round of testing doesn't blow me away, but it does work.  (Except for this one issue, which will not be an issue on the 150 as it records stereo AVCHD.)

• 8. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                        shooternz Level 6

I think you may find the HVX too low in the light sensitivity area.

Maybe the 150 is different.

• 9. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Got it. I do a similar thing, but after editing: select all/some audio clips, and use the "Apply Default Transitions to Selection" command. I just don't like transitions getting in the way while editing, but diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Nevertheless, it's a bug; if you haven't filed it, let me know and I will.

• 10. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

The 200A has the same sensor as the 170; they're about a stop faster than the original 200 sensor, and less noisy. The 150 is going to be a different animal altogether, as that's CMOS.

I really like the 170; it really makes some nice pictures when properly fed.

• 11. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

The 150 has the same CCDs as both the 200A and the 170.  It should produce a comparable image.

I was not entirely offput with the sensitivity of the 200A (and hence 170 and 150).  The editor I know who has it keeps her edit bay somewhat dark, not unlike what I might face at a reception.  Without any camera light and 0 dB gain, it still produced a (somewhat) usable image.  It wasn't very pretty without the camera light, but it gives me hope that with a light, I might actually get a brighter image out of the 150 than I currently do with my DVX100.

I say 'somewhat' because shooting in Scene File 6 at 720/24pN, I saw a LOT of noise in the 200A image.  In fact, at 0 dB gain I saw more noise from the 200A than I see in my DVX100 with 12dB gain.  That makes me nervous.

I do wish I had a beautiful, bright summer day to test with, full of color and contrast.

• 12. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

You're right--my bad. For some reason I thought the 150 had a CMOS sensor.

All of the HVX/HPX/HMC cams will be noisier than the DVX100. Same size sensor, but more pixels crammed in the same space. The 200A/170 improved on that somewhat, but the DVX still destroys low light in comparison. Nature of the beast. The built-in scene files suck in all the cameras, though; it's pretty easy to find better scene files or build your own. I've gotten much better results from my 200 with modified scene files than I ever would with the stock scene files. If Scene File 6 on the 200A is the same as it is on a 200 (Cine D), that's the noisiest of the stock scene files. I wouldn't use that under anything but daylight or lots of artificial light.

They're hungry cameras, no doubt about it.

• 13. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

One place you may want to go if you're looking into panny cameras is www.dvxuser.com. The guys over there have forums for just about everything, but they're primarily panny users. They could help you a lot. I found that forum and spent a lot of time there back when I was looking at buying the HVX200 about 4 years ago.

• 14. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I was using Cine D.  I'll have a chance to run more tests next week.

I do also frequent dvxuser.com.  That's where I got much of the info that went into my decision.

• 15. Re: Automate P2 to Sequence
                                      manolo quiros Level 1

The same thing happens to me. Do you know if it is fixed?