19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 6:06 AM by Ann Bens

Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone

jesskaat Level 1

Ok, I feel like I'm going out of my mind.

I upgraded to CS5 a couple of weeks ago. I went through the usual agony upgrading plug ins and finding out which ones would no longer work because of compatibility issues. My main filter package, "Vitascene" by ProDad, no longer worked. So, I purchased Magic Bullet Looks, which I was quite happy with and promptly completed two small projects with it.

I already had their Starglow and Shine, and saw that I had to pay for an upgrade for those programs to be able to use them on CS5. I purchased the upgrades. I installed both of them and only Shine would appear in the "Trapcode" folder in the effects tab. I was too busy to follow up on this until today. I called their tech support and we discovered that the files for Starglow had been written into a random file. We corrected that problem, by installing Starglow in the correct folder :

local disk/program files/Adobe/common/plugin/cs5/mediacore

Well, all that did was make Starglow show up, but Shine no longer showed up in the trapcode effects folder in PP.

The tech person had me start PP while holding down the shift key, until the Welcome screen appeared, and told me this would reset the plugins. I did this, and when I went into the program again, Looks was totally gone, and Misfire (a free set of plug ins that comes with Looks) was still there, but only 2 of the 14 plugins were in the Misfire folder. Starglow appeared, but no Shine.

The only suggestions Red Giant support could give me was to install and uninstall the programs - which I did about 20 times since then. I even uninstalled CS5 and reinstalled it (plus updates).

So now, what I have is all the plug ins in their proper places in the media core folder, but nothing appearing in PP except Starglow and two of the misfire plugins.

I'm at my wits end. I've got two projects in process that depend on these filters. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks all,

Jessica

Premiere Pro CS5 #2.png

adobe commons folder #2.png

• 1. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Wow! Someone is finally going to be able to use the tutorial I wrote up on this!

Read this CAREFULLY: TUTORIAL: Previously working effects now missing? Here's the fix...

This involves editing the Windows Registry; it's not a difficult thing to do, which means it's easy to bork the rest of your computer Just go slow, and ask questions if you have any.

Good luck!

• 2. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
            jesskaat Level 1

Wow! Thanks. Now, I've got to decide if I'm too tired and frustrated to try it......

I'll report.

J

• 3. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessica,

Do not work on the Registry, when you are tired, or frustrated. Let it go, until you have had a few cups of coffee. Also, I would recommend doing a full System Restore, before you go into the Registry. There is nothing hard about Colin's tutorial, but one does often hit a 0, when a 1 was what they wanted. Having a "net" is never a bad thing.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                Level 4

Bill, good advice...  is best to go slow and be sure on that stuff....and if necessary make "notes" to self about what you do (hierarchy location,  key and value changes )..

Colin...I've had some weird stuff happen with servers using multiple instances of SQL server ( on the server ) and my experience has been that in some cases stuff is programmed very loosely by some companies...where this area of the OS gets confused and doesnt give "permission" when it should...component services...I wouldnt be surprised if that isnt where the problem comes from ....as it will write to the registry re: those permissions etc..

components.jpg

Maybe if you have a similar prob in future you could check out this area before checking the log and registry..and see if its coming from here ??

I dont mean "permission" like admin and powe user etc... but in terms of the computer "name" aliases and stuff like that

Rod

• 5. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                  jesskaat Level 1

Bill, I read your very good, sound advice just now......after I did Colin's fix. I would not have been able to sleep if I didn't....

And my report.....

Colin - pure genius. How can I ever thank you. Worked like a charm and your instructions were absolutely perfect. Everything went very smoothly and I'll know how to fix this if it comes up in the future.

Oh why didn't I come here first.

Well, the reason is that I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting anyone's time.

I couldn't be in business without this forum. You've pulled me out of bad spots a number of times over the past couple of years.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Colin, and Bill and everyone else who puts so much hard work into this!

I hope someday I'll be knowledgeable enough to help others as well.

I don't know how to express my gratitude enough.

Now, I'm too excited to go to sleep!!!

Ciao,

Jessica

• 6. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, that it worked for you should be enough for everyone here. Now, you could slip Colin a "little something extra" in his pay envelope , but hearing that his tutorial worked for you is great.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                      Level 4

LOL

wow !  you the MAN Colin !!!!  

dont get a big head now

• 8. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm just glad that somebody else finally found this useful! I don't know what it is, but this happens on my computers with alarming frequency, and has since CS4 without any real rhyme or reason. It took me about 5-6 hours to figure it out the first time, though now I can do it in my sleep Always helps when you know where to look!

Anyway, glad you're back in action--happy effecting!

• 9. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                          jesskaat Level 1

So, it's an adobe problem? Is this something they would look into, or is it too obscure?

• 10. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                            jesskaat Level 1

Bill, I wish it was wine thirty... I could use a sip - but that's not for another 48 hours.......

• 11. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                              jesskaat Level 1

I'm going to tell Red Giant support about your fix. They were stumped, but very, very willing to hang with me on the phone and try and work it out.

• 12. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm not really sure, to be honest. I think it might be caused by a flaky plug-in the first time its loaded, and then Premiere goes into safety mode to stop any others from being loaded. The problem is, all the rest of those are fine, but they'll be blocked by that simple digit. The fact that you're only the second person that I'm aware of who has encountered this, it's a total guess as to what is going on. I just figured that I was born under a bad sign

The "good" news is that this only seems to affect third-party plug-ins, and after you do it once, you don't have to do it again--usually. Sometimes on a reinstall, you will, but at least you know how to fix it now.

• 13. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

In the words of Keanu Reeves:

"I know kung fu."

• 14. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                                    Level 4

my gut feeling is that its the plug in programming in conjunction with component services linking that plug in with the right program and computer name and so on...that area gets very complicated ( for me at least )..  there are so many dependencies linked through there through DLL files and so on it gets kinda baffling...  but thank goodness adobe has the log file and its fixable in regedit....so the source of prob isnt all that critical to know... but somehow I'm fixated on that component service area as the culprit ...  probably totally wrong...

• 15. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks, Colin.

• 16. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                                        SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

There is a simpler fix that doesn't involve editing the registry, simply hold down the shift key while Premiere Pro is launching.

• 17. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                                          jesskaat Level 1

Steve,

In this case, that's what caused the problem to get much worse. Before I held the shift key while loading, I could "see" Magic Bullet Looks and all the MisFire plugins and afterward I could never see MBL or all the plug ins again. And, I tried the shift trick several times. Sometimes it would eliminate ALL my third party plugins.

Well, as an ex - System Engineer friend of mine reminded me last night........we're all living on the BLEEDING edge...........

Thanks again for all the great help and advice.

Back to work this morning.....

J

• 18. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks Steve; unfortunately, as the OP has commented, that has never worked for me. That was the genesis of this workaround. I've never bothered to file a bug report on in it as it seemed to be exclusive to whatever I was doing or installing, and fortunately, has been less frequent with CS5. It did happen to me last week, however, when I reinstalled CS5; I just accept it as a matter of course now.

• 19. Re: Red Giant Looks - Totally Gone
                                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the difference between just holding down the shift key or shift+ctrl+alt or some other combination?