5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 2:54 PM by Flex harUI

Why dimensions are not integers?

hidarikani Level 2

Doesn't Flex just round the values before rendering?

• 1. Re: Why dimensions are not integers?
          miguel8312 Level 3

can you be more specific? are you talking about math? in code what exaclty are you referring to?

• 2. Re: Why dimensions are not integers?
            _spoboyle Level 4

I assume you are talking about displayobjects and UIcomponents. To be honest I ma not totally sure but i guess its a legacy thing from when there was no int type. also not that it should be a problem for displayobjects but numbers can hold larger values than int

• 3. Re: Why dimensions are not integers?
              GordonSmith Level 4

Coordinates are allowed to be fractional values because the Flash Player does antialiasing when shapes aren't on pixel boundaries. For example, if you draw a 10x10 black square at (100, 100), and then another at (200.5, 200.5), I think you'll see some gray around the edges of the second square.

Gordon Smith

Adobe Flex SDK Team

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why dimensions are not integers?
                Evtim Georgiev (Adobe) Level 2

The reason is that rounding should happen after the coordinates are transformed from local DisplayObject space to global space.  The DisplayObject dimensions and coordinates undergo localToGlobal() transformation to get to the fianl pixel coordinates.  Rounding to a pixel in local space may be too restrictive, especially when doing animations in context of some transformations.  If for example the localToGlobal() scales everything by factor of 2, the ability to specify dimensions in .5 increments means the object will render in 1 pixel increments on screen.  If all coordinates were integers only, then animating the object will result in 2 pixel jumps on screen which will look jittery.

• 5. Re: Why dimensions are not integers?
                  Flex harUI Adobe Employee

The player actually works in twips for rendering.  It uses that resolution

to determine which color to choose for an actual pixel.

1 person found this helpful