3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2007 12:15 AM by johnAq

Password Help

Pugar
      Can anyone help me on how I could create a projector that has a password box and a play button. The user would have to type in the password and hit play in order to watch the video. If they do not have the password, once they hit play, nothing happens. I am faily new to director and only know the basiscs of creating cd-roms for playing videos. Can anyone walk me through the process of setting a password? Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Password Help
          Level 7

"Pugar" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f5pedt$qb1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Can anyone help me on how I could create a projector that has a password
          > box
          > and a play button. The user would have to type in the password and hit
          > play in
          > order to watch the video. If they do not have the password, once they hit
          > play, nothing happens. I am faily new to director and only know the
          > basiscs of
          > creating cd-roms for playing videos. Can anyone walk me through the
          > process of
          > setting a password? Thanks in advance!
          >

Hi Pugar,
          thats not the way to go... :

In Director, video is always an external file, and is accessible via
          Explorer / Finder.
          A double-click on the file will play it without the password.

There are ways to secure a video, but its not easy, and also not free.

Good luck,
          Richard.

• 2. Re: Password Help
            James Newton, ACP Level 3
            Here's an demonstration of how to set a password, complete with source code: http://nonlinear.openspark.com/tips/text/password/

As Richard says, this will not prevent people from viewing your video if they have set their mind to do so.
            • 3. Re: Password Help
              johnAq
              I've never actually needed to do it, but it seems that using Media Keys in Quicktime, with a suitable codec such as Sorensen is the best way to protect video content on a disk. Thatis if the Director/QuickTime/Sorensen playback bug I read about is fixed.

hth

johnAq