16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 11:12 AM by davidbeisner2010

Media suddenly offline, codec problem?

moviegirl87 Level 1

premiere.jpg

3 AVI files suddenly went offline after i upgraded from CS4 to CS5

I am unable to find a solution to this myself, anyone out there who can help me?

Thank you. <3

• 1. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
          jesskaat Level 1

Usually, this means you've moved the source footage to another location. The pop up window is giving you an opportunity to locate it and point

the timeline to the new location.

Do you recall if you moved or renamed the clips in your timeline?

• 2. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
            moviegirl87 Level 1

The window is not a pop up window.

If I try to import the same file again it will only add sound, no picture.

If i try to link the offline files to the correct files I get the following message:

The selected file does not contain video media used by clip reference in one or more swquences. These video references will be deleted etc....

I know it is the same file, it even has the same name. The problem is that it isn't able to read the video, only the sound.

Thanks <3

• 3. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Judging by the filenames, they're encoded with Xvid, which Premiere isn't going to support (out of the box, anyway). Additionally, since CS5 is a 64-bit application, it requires 64-bit codecs. There are all kinds of horrible crap codecs you can install to edit these files and summarily infect your editing system.

I won't tell you where to find Xvid decoders--I'll leave that up to you--but use the information above to do so on your own. The other, better option is to convert these to something Premiere will handle natively, like DV AVI if they are SD or perhaps Lagarith or Ut Video Codec (Google those; they're free and work with CS5) if they are HD. Of course, you'll also need to use a third-party application for these. Be sure to get both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the latter codecs.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As Jessica states, the absolute Path to the files has changed. This could be from a Delete, Rename, or Move operation. It could also be due to a drive letter change (basically a Move operation). As you have the Find function, that can be used to find the missing file(s). Also, it's probably quickest to use Windows Explorer, or Finder on the Mac, to do a Search for the first file. Make note of that new Path, and then in Find in PrPro, just point to that first file. PrPro will then locate all Assets in that Project, in that folder, and automatically relink to them, in their new location. If the Assets are spread over several folders, you will need to repeat for each folder, until all have been located.

Note: DO NOT do a Save, of your Project, if you have chosen to Offline, or Ignore. If you have, the two choices are to manually relink the Assets, when you find where they are now showing, or go to that last AutoSave and go from there.

Good luck, and let us know where the system finds the files, and what the new Path is.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Nothing to do with your problem, but I'm wondering whether you have on overclocked dual X5680 or E2870 system with 48 GB RAM and a large raid array.

If this is not the case, do yourself a favor and kill the sidebar permanently and preferably remove it from your system. Jerkiness, freezes, slow rendering and encoding, etc. are very, very common if the sidebar is active. It should never be used on an editing rig. Further tuning may help in getting better responsiveness of your system. Look here: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7. Also reduce all the background processes and unneeded programs that are active. You will have a much nicer editing experience.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    ...the absolute Path to the files has changed.

That's not the problem here. As the OP states:

If I try to import the same file again it will only add sound, no picture.

It's a codec issue.

• 7. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                      moviegirl87 Level 1

I think you are on to something Mr. Brougham.

But I've been installing codecs now for the last hours (not more than 1 at a time), and none seem to work. Except making my premiere crash more.

If you could be so gracious to link me one that at least worked, I would be in your debt. I don't mind it being a little infected.

Thanks <3

I will check out your post after this problem is defeated Mr. Millaard, thank you.

• 8. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> But I've been installing codecs now for the last hours (not more than 1 at a time), and none seem to work. Except making my premiere crash more.

Installing free third-party codec packs indiscriminately is a nearly certain way to cause serious problems. As Colin suggested, rather than installing random codecs to use a piece of footage, consider transcoding it to a format/codec that Premiere Pro CS5 can import. We work hard to test a limited set of formats and codecs to ensure maximum stability; introducing various codecs from various unknown sources makes that work moot, especially when those codecs displace the ones that you should be using (as with the evil K-Lite codec pack).

• 9. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Try this in Google: "xvid 64-bit"

I can't make any real recommendations on what you might find, since I don't use Xvid and am not about to start

• 10. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

When you run the problem AV files through G-SPOT, or MediaInfo, what is the exact CODEC listed? That is what needs to be installed. Others will possibly give you problems. I agree with Todd, that randomly installing CODEC's is not the way to go about this. Concentrate on the required CODEC and install only that one. I also recommend trying to go to the source for the CODEC's, as many free versions are hacked, or reverse-engineered, and often do more harm, than good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

(as with the evil K-Lite codec pack).

I have much, much dirtier words for it than simply "evil..."

• 12. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

If you're dealing with files that are showing up with only audio and no video, you may have in issue similar to one I had when moving from CS4 to CS5. Somehow CS5 doesn't read things correctly and can't find all the info in the file. My specific scenario was with RED files in a .mov wrapper, but I've seen it happen with other codecs in a .mov wrapper. Never seen it happen with an .avi wrapper, but there's a first-time for everything, I suppose. Try this solution, given to me by Colin Brougham last fall when I had a similar issue. Fixed mine perfectly.

And here's the fix:

1. Download MPEG Streamclip, and unzip it--no install needed. The latest beta version is fine.
                                2. Open one of the broken files in MPEG Streamclip.
                                3. Select File > Save As, and select a new save location. You probably want to keep the file name the same as the original (this is the default).
                                4. Hit OK.
                                5. Profit!

The full details of my problem and Colin's eventual fix can be found here.

• 13. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                                  jesskaat Level 1

So K-lite is a no no? Didn't know that. Is there a thread where I can read up on what I SHOULD have?

Jess

• 14. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                                    moviegirl87 Level 1

davidbeisner2010, I salute you. The problem is fixed. And Mr. Brougham also ofcourse.

Thank you so much for your help.

• 15. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessica,

There are threads on what NOT to have, and K-Lite is mentioned in many of those. This is especially true for an element, FFDShow, that it normally installs. That often kills many things Adobe, and can be nearly impossible to completely remove.

As for what TO install, I keep it very simple. When handed footage with a CODEC, that I do not have installed, I do a search for that particular CODEC, and then try to get to the source of that CODEC, even if I have to pay for it, and there are "free" versions available. I install only what I need, and when I need it, and always do a System Restore Point before install, especially if I end up having to go with some free CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Media suddenly offline, codec problem?
                                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Glad to hear it fixed your problem! Perhaps we should all start filing bug reports as this seems to be an issue that has plagued more than just a few of us, and it seems to be beyond just .mov wrappers...