8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 4:49 PM by the_wine_snob

Long Render times Looks

jesskaat Level 1

I love MB Looks - really getting into it...but the render times are killing me.

Could I potentially speed things up?  Right now, I'm looking at 25 minutes to render about a minute.

Just to clarify, these clips are at about 45% speed and already have a Looks color filter on them. I've just added the misfire vignette, (which I think looks better than the vingettes I used to make with black video and the circle effect).

Previous to adding MisFire, everything was all rendered up....

Twiddling Thumbs.....

J

• 1. Re: Long Render times Looks
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessica,

Some of the Looks gurus might have a few neat little tips, but I think that it will ultimately boil down to the system. I think that you have listed the specs. elsewhere, but if you'd put them up here, others will have something to go on. Then, people, like Harm, Bill G, and others will likely point to ways to make improvements, that you might actually see.

In the meantime, just relax with a cup of tea (decaf!), and watch the snow outside your window - Looks takes processing power, and time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Long Render times Looks
            jesskaat Level 1

Hey, How did you know it's snowing outside my window and I'm drinking tea????

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

i7 950

12 gigs ram

Nvidia Quadro 4000

Four Drives, one OS others for projects.

I always put scratch files on other discs, but on this particular project I put them on the same disc. I know that's a no no.

Is this enough info?

Thanks,

Jess

• 3. Re: Long Render times Looks
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Looks is slow to render.  About the only things you can do are get a better graphics card, or a good novel.

• 4. Re: Long Render times Looks
                {KMS} Level 2

Looks is slow to render, but after completing a recent project I have discovered that the misfire effects are extremely slow.  They are optimized very well.  I feel like they need a major overhaul to take advantage of multicore CPUs.  A great alternative to using the circle filter or misfire to create a vignette is to use the titler.  In order to get realtime playback with my GPU, I did the following:

1. Create a new title and add a black square the size of the title plate

2. Add a white oval to the center of the title (the size of the oval will control the size of the vignette)

3. Place the title in the track above the video you want to add the vignette to

4. Change the transfer mode to Multiply

5. Add a Gaussian Blur and crank the blur up to create a smooth gradient from white to black (I had a value in the hundreds)

6. Adjust the opacity to taste

Just another way to create a vignette that will render much faster.

• 5. Re: Long Render times Looks
                  jesskaat Level 1

thanks for the tip on vignetting. I'm try that.

And, I'm going to find a nice novel too......

• 6. Re: Long Render times Looks
                    shooternz Level 6

MBL is slow but I wonder if you may have a more speedy render if you had applied a Vignette directly in MBL instead of Misfire.

The effect in MBL is more "adjustable" also.

Note: Weird how this forum software constantly changes.I have not had the text formatting problems with it for weeks and now its back again.

• 7. Re: Long Render times Looks
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I feel like they need a major overhaul to take advantage of multicore CPUs.

Looks is not rendered on the CPU.  It uses OpenGL for creating the image, and so is rendered on the graphics card.

• 8. Re: Long Render times Looks
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Hey, How did you know it's snowing outside my window and I'm drinking tea????

Considering your latitude and longitude, the snow was a given. You seem too "mellow" for coffee (even decaf), so the tea was but a lucky guess. *

Since Jim Simon uses Looks quite often, if he recommends a "novel," that is probably the definitive answer - oh, and maybe a killer graphics card. BTW - until he mentioned everything in Looks being OpenGL, I would have assumed that a faster CPU would have helped. Glad I read his reply, before making that comment.

Good luck, stay warm, and remember - decaf tea!

Hunt

* Now, I am a coffee drinker, and look what that stuff has done to me.