8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 9:08 PM by Stan Jones

Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?

Adamousman

Since newegg is having a sale, and I am looking to get a 3 pack of 4GB or a 6 pack of 4gb ram for my new build, can anyone recommend something?

I'd love a recommendation in the $200 range for the 3 pack of 4gb, and am open to anything in the 24gb range.

The few I had in mind were:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145326

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233146

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220542

And for 24gb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359

• 1. Re: Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

All the selected items are good. Personally I would go for the 24 GB kit. You never know if a 3 x 4 GB kit bought next year will be compatible with the 12 GB kit you buy now.

• 2. Re: Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?
            Adamousman Level 1

Ill probably go with the Corsair Vengeance 3 X 4gb.  Its purely a cost thing.  I just dont think I'll be working on big enough projects to need 24gb.  Or is 24gb also helpful on smaller projects?  Will the amount of ram drastically effect my rendering time?  If not, what in editing is affected most by the larger ram amount?

• 3. Re: Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Look at the MPEG2-DVD encoding times on the Background Information page here: PPBM5 Benchmark

• 4. Re: Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?
                Adamousman Level 1

I don't do a lot of DVD encoding, do you know if the jump from 12 to 24 would help in other areas?

At this point, it seems to make more sense to get the 24 if only for the reason that all of the sticks would work together and be of the same type.

Last question, these would work fine with the ASUS Sabertooth MOBO, correct?  (Everything I've read suggests they do thus far)

And are any BIOS settings for RAM prettty easy to configure?

• 5. Re: Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

It looks like it will work with the Sabertooth, but we have no submitted data yet with that combo, so no guarantees.

BIOS settings are easy for one person and difficult for another. It depends on your familiarity with the terms used and the settings available. It is the same with registry settings, one person can be very hesitant to do anything more than glance over the registry, the other person writes complete .REG files for inclusion in the registry. There is no simple answer to your question. If you are familiar with multiplier / QPI / voltage settings, then it is easy, otherwise it may be rather daunting and the problem is, if you make the wrong settings, it can be very frustrating.

• 6. Re: Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?
                    Adamousman Level 1

Be that as it may, I'm gonna go on the safe side, stick with the 12gb, and upgrade at a later point.

I mean, another set of 12gb would be cheaper later on, right?  So why not just wait til after my new build is up and running?

• 7. Re: Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

As someone who literally upgraded to 24GB of RAM from 12GB just today (beneficiary of the Newegg sale myself), I can tell you I wish I'd done it in the first place. There is a marked difference even in general PC operation. I haven't had a chance to do any editing yet, but I suspect that, at least for some of the MPEG variant stuff I work with, it's going to be a great help. Interoperation between the suite applications will benefit as well.

That said, I've got 12GB of RAM for sale... cheap!

• 8. Re: Newegg Ram Sale -- Which kit should I get?
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Got my new 24GB today.  The same deal being discussed elsewhere: Mushkin 3X4.

This is my budget build from mid-last year: Asus P6T SE, i7-930, no MPE (9400 GT), with only 6GB.

Running 5.03.

Switched from the 6 to new 12, then added the other 12.

Ran PPBM5 at each step (6GB, 12GB, 24GB).

Total time: 643/527/455

AVI encoding: 150/152/150

MPEG: 192/68/60

H.264: 174/167/118

Rendering: 125/142/125

I used a clean PPBM5 Directory each time, so I don't think there was any contamination of the tests.  But who knows.

CPU speed and lack of hardware acceleration are the clear slow downs.  But given that, there appears to be a big improvement n H.264 encoding from 12 to 24.