3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 3:20 PM by Harry27C

pdf files will not open on back up drive

ballen751

I have windows xp pro. I am using the latest version of adobe reader x. Adobe reader works good on c: drive but when I copy and paste pdf files from c to a external hard drive as a back up adobe reader says it can't open because there was an error opening it. The external drive is a mybook world. what do i need to do to be able to open them on the external drive

• 1. Re: pdf files will not open on back up drive
          ManishPali Adobe Employee

Could you please try turning off reader X protected mode and check if you continue to see the problem?

You could turn off protected mode using following steps:

1. Launch Reader X and select Edit->Preferences...

2. Select General from left navigation

3. Under application startup uncheck "Enable Protected Mode at Startup"

Note: You should switch "ON" protected mode after verifying the problem. Purpose of Reader X Protected Mode is to keep your system safe from PDF based exploits and keeping protected mode OFF will leave your system vulnerable.

• 2. Re: pdf files will not open on back up drive
            MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The drive is a network storage drive. There could be several different issues causing the problem. What is the file system on your drive? How is it connected to your drive?

• 3. Re: pdf files will not open on back up drive
              Harry27C

I have received several notes regarding Adobe reader 9 working on windows 7. I had just loaded Adobe reader 10 so far, knock on wood works great; will let you know of any changes.

Confidentiality Notice:

This e-Mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended

recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, forwarding or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the

sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.