10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2011 12:45 PM by the_wine_snob

Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback

SteveRuddy Level 1

So my wife made a slideshow using Microsoft Movie maker. This program only will save the project for playback on your computer or emailing. So we ended up with a wma file. I took this into Premier Pro then exported to the encoder. I picked NTSC high quality and MPG2-DVD format. I picked dvd for multriplexing although I don't know what that does, I took the mpg quality slider from 4 to 5, and finally changed the audio to dolby digital. I end up with 4 files one is an m2v which I try and burn to dvd using the window burn dvd window but it will only play via my computer DVD drive.

• 1. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>picked dvd for multriplexing although I don't know what that does

You seriously need to download the user guide PDF's and do some reading

CS5 User Guides - online and PDF (see link in upper right corner at individual pages)
          http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for-creative-suite-5-pdf -and-html.html

The DVD output setting creates separate video and audio files... which are designed to be given to Encore

>burn to dvd using the window burn dvd

As far as I know, that creates a DATA disc, not a "movie" disc

You use Encore to "author" a movie disc... more reading on how to use Encore by starting at the link above

When you get to the individual program pages, RIGHT click the PDF link in the upper right corner and select the option to save the PDF to a folder on your hard drive, so you may read without having to be in Internet Explorer

• 2. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

It sounds like Windows Movie Maker Live was used. The regular WMM will Export to DV-AVI Type I, which will Import into PrPro much better.

I would recommend converting the WMA/WMV to DV-AVI, and Importing that into a DV NTSC (if you are in NTSC-land) Project.

Then, you would use Encore to do the DVD authoring. There are several ways to get the material on your Sequence into Encore. ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) is probably the easiest way to do this.

What is your exact workflow from PrPro, into Encore?

What brand of blank media are you burning the DVD to?

This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more,

Hunt

PS - Multiplexing is the function of combining the Audio and the Video into one file. There are usually two choices, "None" and then often "DVD." For None, you will get two separate files - one for the Audio and one for the Video. With "DVD" you should get a muxed (combined) file. Actually, the separate Audio and Video is the preferred way, if one is doing an Export from PrPro, and then an Import to Encore. One would Import the Video into Encore as a Timeline, and the Audio as an Asset. In Encore, just drag the Audio file from the Project Panel to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place.

• 3. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
              Jim_Simon Level 8

This program only will save the project for playback on your computer or emailing.

Under the Computer option, you will find DV AVI as a choice.  Use that instead.

• 4. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I try and burn to dvd using the window burn dvd window but it will only play via my computer DVD drive.

Windows' built-in burning ability is only for burning files to a data disk.  It is not an authoring application like Encore, which is what you need to create a DVD-Video disk.  Take the DV AVI from my earlier post, and bring that into Encore or some other authoring program, and burn from there.

• 5. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I think that the new Live version of WMM has eliminated DV-AVI Type I file Exports. Now, there is a regular version, which is free from MS, but does not come installed with the OS, like the WMM Live does. As I do not have the Live version, I cannot verify that, but the info comes from good sources.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Jim is correct on what the Windows Burning Utility can, and cannot do.

It is not an authoring program, like Encore is. It will only Copy your AV files, as data files. To play on a set-top player, or even on a computer via a DVD software player, you must first author to a DVD-Video. Instead of a bunch of data files, you will have the requisite VIDEO_TS folder w/ the requisite IFO, BUO and VOB container files. Then, if you use good media, like Verbatim, or Taiyo-Yuden, you can play THAT DVD on a set-top player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
                      SteveRuddy Level 1

Thanks did that first but actually it only takes 7 seconds to open the pdf so I just use it directly from the help menu. I have not really even used this program yet so I will be reading the entire manual. I wish adobe TV had a better way to sort the video tutorials. I'm a complete beginner and need step by step tutorials put all together in one place. I have searched the videos and am unable to come up with a list of videos in order like a manual or book.

• 8. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
                        SteveRuddy Level 1

Bill,

Thanks I will take a look at the article. I did some experimenting myself before reading your reply and I ended up skipping Premier Pro and importing the .wma file directly into Encore and burning a DVD-R from there. I was successful at creating a DVD that would play on a stand alone player however I wasn't able to get the stereo track to come out as DD. I have no idea why I thought I had to go through Premier Pro.

• 9. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
                          SteveRuddy Level 1

Thanks I'm going to try that and make another copy to see if I get any better quality than using the .wma file

• 10. Re: Unsuccessful at taking wma file and converting for DVD playback
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Remind me, please, is that WMA 6-channel, and are you hoping to do DD 5.1 SS in Encore? If so, you will need to Transcode to DD AC3 5.1 SS with something like the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in for PrPro. Encore cannot Transcode to either DD 5.1 SS, or to DTS, or any of the other "advanced" Audio format, but can write a properly Transcoded file to DVD/BD. The DD 5.1 SS AC3 can be the primary Audio stream, but the others are only supplemental, and also their playback will depend on the decoders in the DVD player - some have DTS, and ProLogic II decoders, but some do not.

Good luck,

Hunt