5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 10:13 PM by TucsonJeff1

premiere 7

katzper

My premiere 7 doesn't work properly on my notebook. The program dissepears unexpectedly during any kind of process. My notebook: HP Elitebook, i5 processor, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 pro 32b. My question: is Premiere 7 compatibile with Win7?     

• 1. Re: premiere 7
          nealeh Level 5

Yes PRE7 works on Windows 7.

Work through these basics to see if it cures your problems.

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Install PRE9 v9.0.1 update.
          • Delete BadDrivers.txt (in Windows 7 this is likely at C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt)
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Reboot your PC.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clips and hardware:

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: premiere 7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Many users have PrE 7 installed on Win7 OS's, and other than unique issues, do not recall anything, beyond some setup, needing to be done.

I would suggest starting with more info on your system, the Projects and the source footage. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on what info is so very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: premiere 7
              TucsonJeff1 Level 1

Hunt,

I'm almost embarrassed that I posted because I soon after resolved the

issue by going into System Configuration and removing several programs

from the startup menu. Initially, I was restarting my computer, and

/then/ terminating programs after they had already been loaded which, of

course, was the wrong approach.

Again, thanks for your help.

Jeff

• 4. Re: premiere 7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Glad that things are now working well for you. What happens with most pre-built computers is that the mfgr. installs all sorts of bloatware, that is usually not necessary, and much really gets in the way with intensive tasks, like editing video. Then, and over time, programs will install other processes, like "sniffers, watchers and helpers," that steal resources. Usually, those programs will run fine without the detritus. For general word processing, light accounting, Web browsing, or e-mail management, one never notices all that "stuff." When one does video editing, things really bog down.

Back when I bought my Toshiba laptop, it took two full days of hard work to eliminate all the bloatware. Unfortunately for me, I bought the laptop with the OS, and Toshiba had a "recovery disk" for the OS, that reinstalled all the "stuff." Upon reflection, I should have just gone to Fry's and bought Windows XP, and have been done with it, though it came with XP loaded. With my most recent laptop, I got JUST the OS, and MS Office, and nothing else, and Office was a minimal installation, to which I could add modules, at my discretion and at my leisure. What a clean installation! It was the same with XP-Pro. No extra "stuff" was running, and I just added what I wanted, or needed. I have worked hard to keep the system, as clean as is possible. Still, I have to go in, about every 3 mos., and clean up behind other programs, like iTunes, which wants to add a half-dozen other programs/processes, plus update my QT to the newest version. Right now, 7.5.5 works perfectly with my OS, my NLE programs, and I am not willing to chance whether Apple has finally gotten QT on the PC correct, especially with regards to Adobe programs. Since Steve Jobs appears to hate Adobe, I worry that each version of QT will break my Adobe products.

Keeping a "Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine" is very difficult nowadays, and getting harder by the quarter. At least most mfgrs. do not install AOL, which was like a horrible virus, wrapped in a Trojan, and contained in a WORM. After about 4 years, I still kept finding vestiges of AOL.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: premiere 7
                  TucsonJeff1 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for your thoughts, comments, and insights. Come to think of it,

my PRE8 was working fine until I installed ITunes just the other day. I

downloaded it to rip some of my CD's, and that's the only reason I

bothered with it. But then, I noticed that my current project in PRE8

was beginning to bog down and, at first, I concluded that the reason was

because my current project was actually much larger than anything I had

done previously. After I had troubles with PRE8 crashing, I opened up

Task Manager and was somewhat surprised to see ITunes lurking in there.

After I deleted ITunes from the startup programs in System

Configuration, I had no further problems with PRE8. While I was in

System Configuration, I noticed several other programs that insisted on

being TSR's, so I quickly unchecked those as well. Yes, you're

absolutely right . . . keeping your computer clean and free of

superfluous and unnecessary crap is a very necessary task.

Again, thanks for your help. You're an invaluable asset to your group.

Jeff