9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 6:27 AM by davidbeisner2010

Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded

Geoff Vane Level 1

I edited in HD since the shots were recorded with a HD camera.

I used a 1080i sequence which matches the shots.

The end product is an SD DVD.

So I nested the HD project into a SD PAL widescreen sequence.

If I export this sequence to whatever, it takes 20 minutes for a 4 min movie to scale down and get converted.

Is this the rate one should expect or did I do something wrong?

Oh, I just found out it stopped saving the encoded file attimecode 10 seconds.

So I tried again and made a mixdown of the HD sequence first, which also takes 20 minutes.

So what could be wrong or is it just not possible?

Any help to solve the problem a.s.a.p. is appreciated.

I've got a viewing tomorrow and things look rather bad.

• 1. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to post DETAILS of your camera brand & model and EXACTLY what codec that camera creates

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes what I do to go from AVCHD to DV NTSC Widescreen AVI to then use Encore for authoring a DVD

My times are a LOT less than yours... but you also post ZERO information about your computer (what I built for CS5 is linked inside the above)

Depending on your hardware, and any effects you have applied to your source clip, you may be doing the best you can

But, without details, nobody is going to be able to do anything other than provide a guess

This is for CS4, but may help - Tutorial HD to SD w/CS4 http://bellunevideo.com/tutorials/CS4_HD2SD/CS4_HD2SD.html

Then, Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0
          If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section at the troubleshooting link

• 2. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
            Geoff Vane Level 1

Okay I'll examine the links later, when I have the time for it.

I did not expect I needed to take this much care before creating this project.

I did find that the Sony XDCAM EX files absolutely require their own correct sequence; if not so you'll lose fields when scaling down.

I did use a BCC glow and BCC shine on all the shots.

My machine is a 12 core Xeon with 48G RAM and a Quadro 4000 with 5T raid 5 data and seperate scratch/preview volume.

Somehow I expected faster render times...

But that just may be my high expectations.

• 3. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
              Geoff Vane Level 1

Can't see your video at the moment, as Flash 64bit has been taken offline.

• 4. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Seems to me that XDCAM-EX should go MUCH faster than that with a machine with your specs... I do know that the Xeon chips aren't the best for this sort of work, but you've still got a powerhorse of a computer.

I use a JVC GY-HM700u which uses the XDCAM-EX codec and my render times aren't anything like yours--more like double real-time (i.e, a 4 min clip takes 2 min to encode). I have a better chip, but only a quarter of the memory and a lesser RAID.

Have you tried NOT nesting it in an SD sequence, but instead EITHER encoding using PrPro/AME out to an MPEG2-DVD preset OR using dynamiclink to take your project into Encore and letting Encore handle it?

I've never nested an HD sequence into an SD sequence in order to do the downconvert... seems like an extra and unneeded step to me. Might be where the slow-down is happening.

• 5. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
                  Geoff Vane Level 1

PrPro/AME out to an MPEG2-DVD: Takes well over an hour to render for 4 miserable minutes of footage.

Can't use dynamiclink at all, as this is extremely unstable, plus Encore auto-solves the field problems I have in a very ugly way.

I don't see how I can scale down to SD, without putting the sequence or HD mixdown on an SD time line.

Scaling HD down during a render from a HD sequence often causes small ugly artifacts.

The XDCAM HD sequence is not Matrox supported, so it must rely on CPU and GPU speed only.

I can't even play the sequence; all red render warning everywhere, which could also be the Boris effects causing it.

But then again, you'd expect some powerful rendering to deal with this all.

This HD problem is only one of 30 problems I have but I should stop right here because my anger is beyond believe and I don't know where to go anymore.

Currently my system is unusable; I can't work with it.

• 6. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ah, I didn't notice you had mentioned using Boris FX on the sequence... that's why you've got the red render bar, and that would explain your slow render times. Sounds to me like it's just a case of needing to grab a cup of coffee and enjoy a good book or something while it renders. Using heavy duty FX like that will kill your render times. You may still have an issue with your system (not for lack of a good system--you've got a powerful system there) but there could be an issue with a component (bad RAM stick throwing things for a loop, etc.)

As to the nasty artifacts when using AME to downconvert to SD, I've never had that issue before, and I do it all the time.

I obviously can't speak to your specific instance of interlacing artifacts with DL, but I used to shoot 60i footage on a daily basis and I never had an issue with the way Encore handled the interlacing. Now I shoot 30/24p as standard (got a better camera that could handle the lower light) and still haven't noticed any interlacing issues in Encore.

Since so many of us are handling these same types of files with very little issues, sounds like you've got one of four problems going on... 1) a problem with some hardware component in your system which is creating issues... and that's possible. I had an issue with hardware several builds ago and it killed productivity. 2) a problem with your footage that's giving you weird results. 3) unrealistic expectations of the amount of time involved to render heavy effects like BCC. 4) operator error.

Good luck getting it fixed, whatever the issue!

• 7. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
                      Geoff Vane Level 1

Thanks for trying to figure it out.

There must be something wrong somewhere in the system, I am absolutely sure.

A healthy system can't have all of these problems but I just don't know where to look for a solution.

• 8. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I don't see how I can scale down to SD, without putting the sequence or HD mixdown on an SD time line.

Just export the HD sequence to a PAL MPEG2-DVD preset.  Depending on effects used, your export times aren't all that worrisome.

• 9. Re: Encoding from HD to SD - render times and getting it encoded
                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ultimately we discovered the problem causing my issues was the power supply. What power supply are you running? Also, have you run Memtest on your system to ensure no faulty memory chips? A faulty memory chip can cause these sorts of errors, even while not crashing the system...

My money, though, is on the power supply... they can do all sorts of really weird things if they're stressed out. And you certainly have a power horse of a system--one which would easily stress a power supply.